Dismantling your laptop? *use threadlock* ;)

4REAL

Just stripping down my freshly arrived second hand Y500 (2 months old) and QUITE a few of the screws have been loose.

So if anyone else is planning on doing a complete stripdown then i would DEFO recommend reassembly using a Thread Locking Compound (or any decent Nutlock medium strength) to avoid things coming loose in the future.. i was surprised what a measly amount of compound was on the screw threads! not even enough to go once around any thread... hence why already coming loose after 2 months

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I got extra screws from a laptop repair shop! My Y500 didn't come with a mSata and I needed a very small screw to lock down my mSata upgrade. The guy at the laptop repair shop was nice to give me a buch of screws in various sizes without charge!

Thanks for the tip!! Can we purchase extra screws from somewhere?? I have lost screws in the past. Why not be proactive about it right?? :)

I've just found a service manual: Lenovo haven't been keeping to themselves any particularly interesting revelations (not if you're in the know, at least; the fact that the CPU's locked in with only a ZIF mechanism just blows my mind), but it does have a interesting bit of closure:

Screw notices

Loose screws can cause a reliability problem. In the Lenovo computer, this problem is addressed with special nylon-coated screws that have the following characteristics:

• They maintain tight connections.

• They do not easily come loose, even with shock or vibration.

• They are harder to tighten.

• Each one should be used only once.

• 2 weeks later...