Windows 8 and the Y500 -Your opinions please folks!

4REAL

Windows 8 in my opinion is a very bad choice for gaming. The RAM usage of just being idle is rather big. Metro is another drawback for me, it just warps the true nature and look of windows. Windows 7 is the most stable of all windows OSes. If you like fancy animations and other stuff I'd say go for win 8, but if you are looking for stability, reliability, support and are a gamer, go for win 7.

Ivé not noticed any memory leaks, it actualy handles memory allocation way better than W7 :S Do you have any facts that back this up?

No tools have been removed, they have even made recource detailjs more accecable and easier to read, so no i i dont agree with that one.

If you are gonna use W7 you might as well just not use the metro interface at all, problem solved.

No start menu = Easier to get used to productivity commands as win+r and win+e.. ivé actually improved my own productivity since i started using W8 the same was as i use W7 but without a start menu, it just took a couple of weeks to get in to it! :) Try it!

Cheers!

After using Windows 8 for a few weeks when it came preinstalled on my Y410p I find myself back on Win 7.

The Start Screen is annoying to use and transitioning back and forth between it and the desktop is jarring. The only improvements that I really noticed were in the file transfer dialog and the task manager.

Well I assume by now you most lkely have either a y500 or a y510p, (or the 14" ones...) And let us know how you go.

I'm honestly Blown away by the tremendous amount of 'people' online that act like Windows 8 is the Cancer of the Modern Age... This is tickling at watching people cry wolf over what is obviously not going anywhere? Me being just about to graduate college, I am quite literately waiting for the day that Windows XP dies off and seeing the freaking chaos ensue, and a few years down the road (2018-ish?) when Windows Vista and Windows 7 are killed off just the same. I'm also curious what the industry will have done in the mean time. Gamers who want and need and crave the highest end games with the highest end rigs will NEED windows 8 as a minimum as the next version of dx11 (ie dx11.2) will be exclusive to Windows 8.1 or higher. Those who crave multiscreen setups will more than likely 'replace' the new interface, but even more will become used to the new as a new generation grows into Windows 8. Most of my class mates can't even tell me what installation of windows that they have installed. Its funny really, I've adapted and I love the sheer refinement of what really is a slipstreamed windows 7 with a shiny new hood, for better or worse.

It takes some time to get used to that is for sure. Heck it took me 10 minutes to shut down my computer the first time, because I couldn't even find the button! The biggest flaw is how the Modern UI feels seperated from the actual desktop, which I'm glad will be improved in the next update.

Windows 8 really isn't as bad as people say it is. The only thing that bothers me about it is that the charms screen and settings are different than that of those in the control panel. What I mean is that some settings you can only change in 'windows 8 settings' and the others can only be changed in control panel. It just makes things confusing sometimes. Also booting in safe mode is incredibly difficult in 8. I overclocked my monitor and the graphics drivers crashed. I ended up having to plug in a different monitor just to change my monitor's refresh rate. I'm hoping Windows 8.1 will be a big improvement.

I don't love it but I'm not having too many problems with Windows 8 so far. The issue about memory usage being way too high concerns me but the boot time is wonderful and the sidebar with settings isn't terrible.

The transition to the start menu is horrible of course, but if we could have something like Windows 7, no gimmicky start menu, stable and efficient system, plus the sidebar that shows up when you move the cursor to the corner, that would be interesting. If clicking on anything on the sidebar brought in other windows on the Windows 8 style, they could be somewhat transparent and interfere less with the desktop environment. But who knows, I don't see that happening soon.

Windows 8 overall runs slightly better than 7. Sure the Metro style was an issue, but now there are choices such as startisback and start8 that offer not only the old start menu, but also a collection of improvements to it that I had been hoping to see arrive in an update back in w7. As many people have said, I can confirm that start up is faster, and it is also faster in some ui aspects. Also, 8 seems to use less ram than 7 by a little bit, though when you have 4gb or more it really isnt an issue. One thing I would warn against however is that w8 does seem to have more HD accesses than 7, and will randomly lag on slower HDs. After talking with many of my friends on both 7 and 8, the flatter style that encompasses Windows 8 vs. the Full Aero glory of Windows 7 seems to be more down to the individual, though if transparency is a must in the OS then Windows 8 can be modded to include it (with some bugs of course).

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my Y500 in today. I have already put an SSD in it and put windows 7 ultimate on it. I can not stand windows 8... Complete garbage if you ask me. However Windows 8 does have one feature I wish windows 7 had. Hibernating core system files which allows for quicker boot times. With Windows 7 and my 128 GB Crucial M4 SSD it takes around 10 seconds from hitting to the power button to have the desktop up and fully loaded.

I agree with cody000001.. Win8 runs better.. it's a bit fast, hyper-v rocks, the core parts of the OS are better... that being said... you need to install a start menu replacement.. I am running Windows 8.1 and it is pretty nice.

Seeing as how you don't get to pick a different OS at purchase and are 'forced' with Windows 8, I'd say give it the good 'ol college try. Seriously though - the core OS is better. The only issue people can pick at is the lack of the start button. But you honestly do not need it. The search is much better (but still is lacking versus Apple's find) so you literally press the Start key on your keyboard and type in what you want.

This is much different from Windows Vista where the core itself was bad (too much indexing, horrible performance etc). Windows 8 is actually better core-wise and the UI isn't that much harder to get used to. It's designed for people to touch-and-go and just have 'relevant' things around you. For pro users there are a ton of short cut keys added and old ones that can be used: Keyboard shortcuts - Microsoft Windows Help

All of this will just get better with Windows 8.1 btw.

It took me a while to get used to Windows 8 and the changes. I'd recommend going to a few sites and familiarizing yourself with the hotkeys - mainly windows-C for the charm bar. My gripe with Windows 9 on the y510p is that there is no touch screen. Windows 8 is really intuitive once you use it on a touch device.

Also, StarDock software makes a mod that adds in the classic Windows 7 start menu if you can't get used to the windows it one. Holding shift and scrolling out allows you to drag program groups in the Windows 8 start menu into groups, and then you can right click on these groups to name them.

Agree, wit that that windows 8 is faster on my y580 but i have some problems with USB3, and the metro was a new thing for me :( i use stardock as well start8 is great and modernmix is usefull to. I hope that in 8.1 there will be not biger problems with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as for me i would have to give my vote for win7 although the core OS for it is better than win7, the problems that i encounter is the security problem in win8 and the setting for networking are a bit different from win7 as i faced a lot of problems just to create a home media center with it

• 1 month later...

I gave W8 a fair try and while many things are really neat, the -go through metro- slap in the face that you get constantly when trying to do things was frustrating. I have never used the start menu so I never looked into these apps that bring it back, so never I learned that they do more than that. I kept an image of the windows 8 system, but the only thought of all the customization that I'd have to go through to get it as it's now on W7 is a no go.

• 1 month later...

Windows 8 in my opinion is way better than the previous versions of Windows. It's a lot easier to use (searching allowed on the tile screen) and seems a lot faster. It only got better when 8.1 came out.

It just seems like people are too critical of change (Windows 7 to Windows 8) but honestly it only made the experience better for me.

I took an image of Windows 8 with all the bloatware uninstalled and then installed Windows 7 with a clean install and all the drivers. After working out the bugs on 7, I regret nothing. I imaged 7 just in case I wanted to switch, but do not plan on going back to 8 at all.

So far i dont mind windows 8..or rather 8.1. in 8.1 they got the startmenu back which was pretty nice. =]

Also to make things look a bit more nerdy i add a few skins with Rainmeter. You should check it out it has soon CPU temps and other things. You can add some GPU graphs, clock speeds, and temp using Afterburner.

So far i dont mind windows 8..or rather 8.1. in 8.1 they got the startmenu back which was pretty nice. =]

Also to make things look a bit more nerdy i add a few skins with Rainmeter. You should check it out it has soon CPU temps and other things. You can add some GPU graphs, clock speeds, and temp using Afterburner.

8.1 did make Windows 8 more manageable for me, but as an IT guy I can not see implementing this stuff in out work environment. It works much better on touch screens as well.

I'm enjoying the Y500 I have. Dual 750M's, with 120GB mSATA and 256GB SSD. It screams for the amount of money spent. Picked up a BDRW drive for it and an HD caddy for my linux boot (still dual booting W8.1 and Ubuntu seem to have some issues when you install Ubuntu on another drive. I wont get into that part because I've many options with no such luck. The only problem I've had with this laptop is the whitelisted BIOS junk... I would like my wirelessAC card to work. I found the forum here about modifying the BIOS, but now waiting to be approved for downloads.

8.1 did make Windows 8 more manageable for me, but as an IT guy I can not see implementing this stuff in out work environment. It works much better on touch screens as well.

Gotta agree with you. For personal use i dont see to much of a problem, web browsing and such, but on a larger scale working with confused lemmings is not something to look forward to. I still have to say windows 7 was the most stable and is still the norm in most cases.