Windows 8 and the Y500 -Your opinions please folks!

4REAL

1. Wait for Windows 8.1

2. Install Windows 8.1 (free update)

3. Windows 8 complaints go away (for the most part)

4. Profit

In all seriousness, just stick with windows 8, it's not that bad once you get used to it and has some pretty nifty features especially for this laptop (in-built .iso capabilities, since if your running the SLI version or the extra HDD version you can't just plug in a DVD)

Also Windows Blue (8.1) is supposed to fix the gripe about having to use metro on non-touch laptops...

Have you guys even seen the changes that have been announced for Windows 8.1? Continuing the Windows 8 vision with Windows 8.1

Pretty much all the changes are to the Metro interface and Metro apps. The vaunted "return" of the Start Button just dumps you back into Metro. They're probably gonna add boot-to-desktop but you can already accomplish that easily in Windows 8 with the Task Scheduler or any of the various Start Menu replacement programs. IE 11 will also make its debut, but I use Chrome.

As a Desktop user on a non-touch device who never goes into Metro, I don't see any reason to get excited about Windows 8.1. If this is really all it's going to be then it's not even worth the trouble to make a Microsoft account just so I can download and install it from the Windows Store. I will stick with Windows 8 and StartIsBack.

Anyway, the release preview for 8.1 is touching down at the end of this month. Then we can see whether it's really better or just much ado about nothing.

Having tried both Windows 7 and Windows 8 on this y500 I found Windows 8 to be the better experience out of the two. I didn't want to like Windows 8 because of it's ugly metro interface, but installing a start menu I've done away with it and have found the operating system nice to use.

I dont care about the start button not being there, Ive been using this laptop for over 10 hours a day :P and i dont miss it in any way.

With a Msata this system is even more awesome.

Current changes with this laptop are a Crucial 256gb ssd and a 750GB momentus Xt.

When I was waiting on my y500 to come in the mail, one thing that was in my mind was whether or not to downgrade to windows 7.

I decided that i'll give it the chance. I my y500 came in Friday, and well, have been using windows 8 with no problems at all.

It seemed as everyone was just trashing and trashing windows 8. Crying about the lack of a start button and such.

It is a change no doubt, and with change comes adaption, and I believe that is where people fall off at. They just can't adapt.

I've been looking all over the web for tiny tips that will make windows 8 even better.

tl;dr I have no issues, and will continue to use it.

well, i would go for win 7 because mostly win 8 features are on the touch part, a laptop without a touch screen using win 8 will be quite troublesome~

I find myself working around the new start interface, hardly use it ever.

However people should keep this in mind, Windows 8.1 comes out June 26 which brings back the start button. So I am assuming this will make it easier for people who have a hard time adapting.

Windows 8.1 brings back the Start Button, not the Start Menu. There's a huge difference. So instead of having the miniaturized Start Screen appear in the bottom-left corner only when you hover over it, there's gonna be a permanent button. The catch is that this new "Start Button" simply dumps you into Metro, just like before. Windows 8.1 is not the cure-all for this operating system's myriad problems. In fact, it improves little for traditional desktop users on non-touch devices. It's stupid decisions like this newfangled "Start Button" which tells me that Microsoft just does not get it​.

Although I have not received my y500, thanks to lenovo's swift and blissful inventory management :pun intended:

Windows 8 is not that bad, you should give it 3 days minimum, mine starts hell lot quicker compared to win7 without any hardware upgrades.

On the Y500, you can clean install the Windows on a higher capacity mSATA to eliminate bloatware and enjoy gaming and all that you do with your computers.

I've been using Windows 8 since it came out and I have to say I don't understand all the hatred. It works fine. I've not had any troubles using it. The lack of a start button is a bit annoying, but it's one of those things that takes getting used to versus being a, all out deal breaker. That being said, I don't fault the people that don't like it. It's certainly different enough to annoy some people.

Currently still locked with Windows 8, when watching streams I experience lots of lag. I made a dualboot with a linux distro and I can watch streams lag free so I'm not sure who's to blame here

i got a crucial m4 msata ssd 128GB if i install win8 on the msata ssd will it activate with the key automatically by bios or do i have to copy the key and put it in manually?

Greetings,

Brown

Yes, the win8 cd key is store on the board which will be automatically detected.

As far as performance goes Windows 8 is great.

Functionality wise I hate it.

1. Metro UI. I never want to actually use it. It works for a limited number of apps and then becomes unusable. I have just made a folder with all my shortcuts on desktop and use Window Key + X for system stuff.

2. The fact that you cant run games in windowed mode otherwise the side bars will show up when you go to the corners.

3. Power option are a pain to get to. Took me a while to find the first time and I still find it tedious to get it.

Looking forward to the Windows Blue upgrade.

As far as performance goes Windows 8 is great.

Functionality wise I hate it.

1. Metro UI. I never want to actually use it. It works for a limited number of apps and then becomes unusable. I have just made a folder with all my shortcuts on desktop and use Window Key + X for system stuff.

2. The fact that you cant run games in windowed mode otherwise the side bars will show up when you go to the corners.

3. Power option are a pain to get to. Took me a while to find the first time and I still find it tedious to get it.

Looking forward to the Windows Blue upgrade.

Get StartIsBack. It turned Windows 8 from unusable to almost like Windows 7 for me. Windows 8.1 isn't going to improve much, believe me.

I also just got my Y500 with 750m SLI a 2 weeks back, and I was in doubt to stick with windows 8 or not. It was my first contact with W8 and after 2 weeks of learning i enjoy it actually. Give yourself a time so you can make a good decision.

I just got my y500 about a week ago after being on a MacBook Pro for 6 years, and a Win7/ML tower I built last May. I personally haven't noticed any performance difference between 7 and 8, but anytime an app opened in Metro/Modern, I hated the delay that the switching to and from desktop mode created. I got StartIsBack based on recommendations here, and it definitely minimizes the switching. I don't feel the need to spend time/resources buying/installing/activating 7.