Windows 8 and the Y500 -Your opinions please folks!

4REAL

Window 8 is great, , and as an extra bonus its super seamless with all android and windows 8 devices,, as well as with a SSD,,,boot times are merely a second or two from pressing the power button on my MSI GE70 ,, and coming out of sleep mode is literally press button and look up and im staring at the password screen.... but one thing I do hate about ALL MICROSOFT EVERYTHINGS... everything you do is being watched by big mothersoft.. other than that.. windows 8 is a polished ,, de crapped windows 7.

If you're gonna pay for a Start Menu replacement definitely get StartIsBack instead of Start8 or some of the others. StartIsBack happens to be the least expensive of the lot too. Otherwise, go with Classic Shell if you want something free. I've tried all Windows 8 Start Menu apps at some point or another and StartIsBack is definitely my favorite. It's the most faithful imitation of the Windows 7 Start Menu and the only one that runs as a native Windows process rather than as an add-on.

Now that Microsoft has officially announced Windows 8.1 AKA Windows Blue as a free update for existing Windows 8 users, we might not even need such things anymore if they bring back the traditional Start Button/Start Menu and boot-to-desktop. Still, knowing Microsoft, they probably won't as that would essentially be admitting to the colossal failure that is Metro UI for non-touchscreen users.

i've played with blue, so much better. leaked copy a month or so ago, in a vmware on win7/64 and it's so much more customizable. faster slicker, you can ajusdt the main page with window preffered sizes, label and place them in what order you preffer ect.

i've played with blue, so much better. leaked copy a month or so ago, in a vmware on win7/64 and it's so much more customizable. faster slicker, you can ajusdt the main page with window preffered sizes, label and place them in what order you preffer ect.

I'm definitely excited for Blue. As long as we can get out of this Metro start for good on workstations, it will get far more love from home and business users alike!

I really like Windows 8 after a week or two of cursing at it while staring at my screen totally confused. :)

Now that I have become accustomed to it, I find it quite good. Faster boots / wake-ups and seem more snappy then Window 7. I had intentions of going back to WIndows 7 on my new laptop but in the end have stuck with Windows 8.

Nope never had my touchpad do that. Mind u I hardly use it, I was using a Lenovo USB mouse until today, I purchased the Microsoft touch mouse on special at Canada computers. It's normally $79.00 and I got it for $30.00 :) bought 2 of them. It's basically a mouse with touchpad features and it uses the new blue techniology. It's pretty awesome.

Got the laptop with windows 8. I reinstalled with my Windows 8 Pro and removed all the bloat-ware. I find bloat-wares very annoying, after removing them the laptop start-up time is better.

I personally like the Windows 8 start menu, but would be nice to have a touch screen. I find myself using multi-touch a lot as it makes my life a lot easier to navigate around.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now that I have become accustomed to it, I find it quite good. Faster boots / wake-ups and seem more snappy then Window 7. I had intentions of going back to WIndows 7 on my new laptop but in the end have stuck with Windows 8.

A side note as well on faster boots and wakeups - with the unification of suspension and hibernation I suspect (and I suppose I'm supposed to get the impression) that hibernation's now close to instantaneous - but I can't be sure.

(Tear me apart, internet!)

Ok

I have heard soo much about Win8 being one big pile of s**** (from gaming buddies) and how windows 7 is sooo much better??

(personally i think that after XP they have basically been refining a forensics tool capable of tracking your every move lol)

So, how does Win8 fair on the Y500 in your experience??

is the first thing to do, is format and do a fresh clean install of Win7? i have never used 8 so cannot comment..

My Y500 sli comes tomorrow and before i ''move in'' i'm wondering whether to start from scratch and

1) Upgrade the bios to v 2.02 and Mod

2) Pull the HDD and install Win7 on msata

3) Format the slow 1tb drive for storage..

What are peoples thoughts on this?? Any << useful lol ><useful lol="">> comments greatly appreciated :) </useful>

In my opinion, the only thing that is bad about windows 8 is the metro interface. Everything else seems to be faster, including boot times and many other operations.

The thing is, the metro interface is easily replaced with applications. There are free versions and paid versions that will make the windows button act exactly the same as in windows 7.

And before you switch, you can just try win8 out, and if you really don't like it (even after changing the metro interface) you can always switch back.

And btw, some people say that they love the new metro interface. Even though I could not agree.

i got a crucial m4 msata ssd 128GB if i install win8 on the msata ssd will it activate with the key automatically by bios or do i have to copy the key and put it in manually?

Greetings,

Brown

I recently received my Y500 and installed the fastest mSATA and SATA drives available. I reinstalled the OS from scratch and chose Windows 8 following my experience on my desktop with which I have tinkered with it since beta stages. Clearly the metro GUI makes sense for touch devices but not so for laptop/desktops, Microsoft themselves have recognised this and the start button is making a comeback in Windows 8.1 which will be available soon as a free service pack for current users. In the mean time, take the time to explore the new OS and install Pokki, to make your start button return. If you give it a chance you will find it is resource efficient, lightning fast starting and works well with newer technologies such as SSD's. Stick it out, there are quicker ways to get to Device Manager than the first time you try it for instance! :)

Hello guys! Recently received my Y500 as well, was quick to install Start8 on it. Aside from that I am really enjoying the changes Windows 8 brings, was definitely one of the few who was turned off by the MetroUI, though once it's gone the OS itself is actually quite nice. Performance is good, in both applications and games. Only downside, and this isn't the fault of Win8 is the slow 5400RPM drive that came with it makes boot-up and login feel a bit slow. Aside from that the laptop and OS seem to work well together.

In my opinion I would say try out Windows 8, unless there is something that really stops you from using it, incompatibility with some type of external hardware or necessary software, etc. It's also good that with the 8.1 pack they are bringing back the start menu for the OS.

Stick with the windows 8 and wait for windows 8.1 free update(They are bringing back the start menu from what I've read{correct me if I am wrong}). [not sure if it applies to Windows 8 starter]

Windows 8, much like all Microsoft products are half baked. It kinda works, it kinda doesn't. I like the "fast startup" features as it starts my laptop from a complete shutdown in 3 secs but I can't use it because I lose my bluetooth when I have it enabled. Overall, I'm satisfied but it could be so much better. Microsoft is a joke of a company, always was a Bill Gates hater and it's very satisfying to see them fail like they have. I hate them so much, I bought their stock back when the market bottomed out. Their return is among the lowest in my portfolio but I hold on to this shitty company just because I think I've jinx the crap out of them. Wish I would have bought some RIM stocks, they would have been completely out of business then if I did. Hate BB with a passion. Man, where is all this hate coming from today? PMS'ing I guess, let me go put in a tampon.

Windows 8, much like all Microsoft products are half baked. It kinda works, it kinda doesn't. I like the "fast startup" features as it starts my laptop from a complete shutdown in 3 secs but I can't use it because I lose my bluetooth when I have it enabled. Overall, I'm satisfied but it could be so much better. Microsoft is a joke of a company, always was a Bill Gates hater and it's very satisfying to see them fail like they have. I hate them so much, I bought their stock back when the market bottomed out. Their return is among the lowest in my portfolio but I hold on to this shitty company just because I think I've jinx the crap out of them. Wish I would have bought some RIM stocks, they would have been completely out of business then if I did. Hate BB with a passion. Man, where is all this hate coming from today? PMS'ing I guess, let me go put in a tampon.

I hear ya man. Some applications and drivers just don't respond well to hybrid boot. The Bluetooth drivers are a perfect example. I use the Windows 7 desktop gadgets and sidebar and those always crash on startup after a cold boot unless I turn off fast startup.