Nvidia GTX Titan - modified VBIOS for more control and better overclocking

svl7

That doesn't work, physically not possible. VID7 and VID6 from the voltage regulator and tied to ground respectively vcc, therefore the max voltage that is possible per VID mode (what the vbios uses) is 1.2125V. Everything beyond requires direct control of the voltage regulator, e.g. with MSI AB. Disadvantage is that you'll be stuck at one fix voltage with that method.

I have tried the Rev04 BIOS (no ACX, no downsampling) with my Titan SLI (Asus) but I ran into some problems.

After flashing and rebooting, Windows detects the cards again and automatically reinstall the driver. Enabling SLI then results in a Blue Screen. Reinstalling the driver by nVidia Setup also results in a blue screen during deinstallation part. These errors were reproducable, I was not able to get the driver installed again.

After flashing back the Rev02 I ran before everything works fine again, driver installation works correctly and SLI runs really fine as before.

So on my Hardware Rev02 works really great, but Rev04 does not. Has somebody an idea what could have gone wrong on my part ?

@svl7

Remember this?

Well, received the replacement of the replacement of my original Titan (lol, long story short, the #3 Titan).

Using your bios (SC V2) this one starts at 1.175V no matter what (and 928Mhz gpu freq as usual). The default max boost and voltage for this card with the stock bios is 1019Mhz at 1.15V.

I still don't get it...is the starting/base voltage of your bios independent from the quality of each GPU itself (i.e always 1.137V no matter what) or does each individual GPU dictates the starting/lowest voltage depending on the quality of the chip?

ill simplify. Boost is garbage. Nvidia = GRU in despicable me 1 AMD = GRU in despicable me 2 understand?

Thanks svl7 the downsampling bios is awesome I can get higher overclocks now you think 1.212v is too much for 1200mhz 6500mhz? that's the voltage for gaming stable I can run benchmarks at lower volts but is not gaming stable

Am I getting this right? You achieved higher clocks with the Downsampling Bios? Because I'm aiming also for 1,2Ghz with 1,212V but it's very unstable. I'm using the V4 OC Version also with Arctic Accelero Xtreme III(nice thingy).

Cheers

Yosh

Am I getting this right? You achieved higher clocks with the Downsampling Bios? Because I'm aiming also for 1,2Ghz with 1,212V but it's very unstable. I'm using the V4 OC Version also with Arctic Accelero Xtreme III(nice thingy).

Cheers

Yosh

yes a little higher than the non downsampling bios my card is perfectly stable at 1.2ghz 1,212v but I don't want to run that voltage everyday so lowered to 1150mhz 1.165v and is stable too

yes a little higher than the non downsampling bios my card is perfectly stable at 1.2ghz 1,212v but I don't want to run that voltage everyday so lowered to 1150mhz 1.165v and is stable too

Oh wow.... mine is running now with 1150mhz but with 1200v to be stable.... (ASIC 72,9).

I´ll flash the card again.

Thank you for clarification :14_002:

Cheers

Yosh

I have a Titan SLI setup. ASIC of 75% and 80% should mean that I should be able to over clock them quite nicely. However for some reason my over clocks don't seem to be working. With nvinspector, the overclocks for core and memory seem to apply (as evident in gpu-z) however when I play any kind of game, the 3d clock always stay at default @876 mhz. It seems like I'm only getting some kind of fake superficial overclock (which is only reflected in tools like gpu-z). Even with Precision, same thing happens.

However after applying the over clocks many times after resetting to default, the oc seem to hold.

Just to make sure that my PSU isn't holding me back, i even tried running my Cpu @stock.

I'm using V04 bios (non ACX)

Any word of advise from the rest of the TITAN brothers.:29_002:

My Config:

AMD FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz (corsair H80)

8GB @1600

Asus Titan SLI

PSU Cooler master 850W silent pro.

HI all

I'm pretty new here, but found out about the downsample bios from the article over at pcgameshardware.de - Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan: "Mega"-Downsampling mit 5.120 x 3.200 und 60 Hz per BIOS-Mod

Really interested in testing it out as I currently downsample at 3840x2160@58hz. Unfortunately I'm unable to download due to some restriction from my account being new. What do I need to do in order to have access to the download?

EDIT - nevermind, i saw the PM in my inbox about 5 posts...

Just an update for new titan owners... (this is actually my third Titan.) You will need to use this version of NVFLASH in order to flash your vbios. - nvflash - 5.141.0.1

As a side note, I was unable to get 80.10.3E.00.01_-_GTX_Titan_'OC_edition'_rev04_Downsampling_Version to run stable with 1 new Titan :(

I frequently experienced hard OS crashes where I would see a full GREEN screen and then a full BLACK screen within 10 minutes of use. Even when I would just be surfing the web and experience a hard OS crash.

But, I must say that if this bios is to reach stability! HOLY S@#$ it will be amazing! Downsampling is great without the need of EDID hacks! never have been able to reach 3840x3160@60hz with ease!

I would like to direct everyone to a recent change in STEAM! - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10858676080

It looks like STEAM has made 4k a native resolution option for 1080p users. I have yet to see the option for 2880p for 1440p users though :(

• Thumbs Up 1

I flashed my Titan again with the downsampling version and can´t get higher clocks.

The highest possible clocks are 1176/3506Mhz with 1212V.

I was aiming for 1200Mhz :(

I could get 1189Mhz but had to lower the memory and i discovered that i´m better with 1176 gpu clock and raising the memory to 3506.

Difference between 1215 and 1176 fps wise is 1~2 fps... but the difference between 3250 and 3505 Mhz memory is 5~6 fps!!!

In conclusion, i´m happy as it is with 1176/3506 :)

Thank you for that great BIOS!!!!

just flashed my titan.

awesome work m8!

running @ 1.150mv / 1150mhz gpu / 7000mhz (effective) vram / performance increase ~20%

however it seems the vram is locked at 7000mhz max ; cant go higher than this even if i want to.

What's your ineffective vram at? :P

Any updates on an Titan ACX Edition?

I played a bit with the reference bios. I think it should be enough to lower the fanspeed of v3 of your bios to 20%. That should make the fan curve behave less agressive, too.

i hope you find the time to do this, there is no way i'm going back to reference bios or any other bios with boost after using your bios for several months now.

greetings

No such thing nor will their ever be. Nvidia isn't allowing any modifications to be done to the titan.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I run the GTX Titan with stock BIOS and downsampling of 6K as maximum, tough with sick timing setting, i.e. the 6K is downsampled to 1280x720 24 Hz.

I created those 3dmark 6K 60 fps movies that way...

So naturally I am interested in getting more downsample, but the DL links don't work _yet_ ;).

My current downsample limits with EVGA Titan SC stock BIOS (list limited to the interesting ones, many in between left out):

3840x2160 -> 1920x1080 60 Hz <- This is how I recorded most of my videos

3840x2400 -> 1920x1200 60 Hz

4928x3080 -> 1920x1200 30 Hz

5760x3600 -> 1920x1200 24 Hz

6144x3840 -> 1280x800 24 Hz

6384x3584 -> 1280x720 24 Hz

7680x2880 -> 1280x720 15 Hz

6656x3744 -> 1024x576 24 Hz, 16 Bit colors only

Buggy: 8192x2400 -> 1920x1200 24 Hz, only the left quarter of the screen is actually displayed.

So while overclocking is part of my interest, my major interest is what is modified in the original BIOS to get more downsampling? I prefer changing my BIOS instead of using a completely different one..

Hey guys,

tried the v04 downsampling acx version today on my evga titan sc with herculez cooler.

Played around (atm @stock settings) half an hour crysis 3 and diablo 3. all fine. but when i play swtor i got sometimes a short blackscreen and a few seconds later it goes back to normal. Swtor isnt the most graphics hungry game so the graphic card doesnt clock with 875 all the time and downclocks a little bit with less voltage too. maybe the voltage is too low at these situations.

greetings

---------------

Looks like the latest beta driver was faulty. With the beta driver i get blackscreens with stock bios too. Installed the whql again and everythings fine. Love the downsampled solutions with full 120hz. thanks man!

@svl7 : As far as I can see the only difference between DS and non DS ROM is the pixel clock. I tried that, but couldn't get more downsampling than I already have with the stock ROM. Are there any additional tweaks required?

A funny effect (either with original or pixel-clock hacked ROM) is that when trying 6400x3600 32 Bit I get a desktop of 640x480, and the box says "test OK, keep resolution? Yes/No"

svl7 your bios for titan is great(Nvidia GTX Titan - 80.10.3E.00.01 'OC edition v04') , can you do new one with unlock voltage by kepler bios tweaker 1.27 (it can unlock 1.3125), thank you very much for your work it really great , sorry for english)

That doesn't work. 1.21V is the bios limit, setting it to a higher value would have no effect.