Nvidia GTX Titan - modified VBIOS for more control and better overclocking

svl7

Hi, I have a Zotac Titan "AMP!" edition and have just followed the procedure to flash it with the v3. vbios, but have not noticed any effect on the clock scaling. It's as though the BOOST functionality is still active.

My default clocks, as reported in GPU-Z seem correct (and infact have changed from the original vbios), but in the "Sensors" tab the clock regularly drops to lower values, as in the screenshots below.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there some step that I'm missing?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9334[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9335[/ATTACH]

EDIT: So I just re-read the entire thread and thought I would add some clarification: The clock throttling I'm seeing is not only related to 324MHz as in the above image (which I now understand is the idle clock). My problem is that I regularly see clocks around 600MHz / 700MHz while gaming... which is essentially the same behaviour as before the bios flash (though the numbers are different, I assume because my original vbios had different max clocks?).

post-18733-14494996279223_thumb.png

i too am running v2 (i think) on evga 2x titans, after several hours of benching i noticed that my 2nd gpu would throttle down, they are both on a dedicated quad rad water loop. card 1 stayed locked and card 2 would throttle after a while

do you think this is because card 2s vram was peaking? i noticed it would stay locked until core temp broke over 40c then it would go down to like 38c and overclocked rates.

do you think this is because card 2s vram was peaking?

What exactly does "vram peaking" mean?

i noticed it would stay locked until core temp broke over 40c then it would go down to like 38c and overclocked rates.

I've not noticed any particular temperature correlation with my system, but I'll check more thoroughly and report back.

What exactly does "vram peaking" mean?

I've not noticed any particular temperature correlation with my system, but I'll check more thoroughly and report back.

like maybe they were at their maximum heat or something? after researching i think i may have had the memory too high and error checking might of took place?

empok, have you enabled "Prefer Maximum Performance" in nvidia control panel?

No! I hadn't! Thank you very much! Now using the v3. bios I have a constant clock of 875MHz at all times. Great.

My question now is: why do the clocks behave differently when running, for example, the GPU-Z render test vs. a "normal" game? Is there maybe some dependancy on the GPU Load?

For example, whenever the render test is running, I can overclock just fine using the nVidia Inspector "Base Clock Offset", and my I see Current Clock = GPU Clock, but whenever I'm running a game, the Current Clock just stays at 875MHz (see image below). Is there any way to set a absolute clock speed and have the GPU use that at all times?

post-18733-14494996284299_thumb.jpg

sv17 please check your messages as it appears to be full and cant send you anything.

Ive hit a little snag,it seems to be fully stabe in all games but as soon as I run it through something like the latest 3dmark it crashes the driver which Im ghessing is down to slightly lacking voltage.

is that as far as I can go with the voltage as it doesnt seem to be breaking past 75% on power under full load ?

thanks for your help.

Two new vbios added: 'OC edition v04' for any Titan with stock cooler and a 'ACX' version for those of you who might use the Titan with an after-market cooler (e.g. the EVGA ACX).

Both files are based on the latest Titan vbios I have, the usual tweaks are applied, as well as slightly lowered idle voltages and 3d voltage (it's perfectly fine for stock clock usage, if you're going to overclock I assume you'll adjust the voltage to your needs anyway.)

Downloads here:

Nvidia GTX Titan 'OC edition' v04 - vbios mod (stock cooler)

and

Nvidia GTX Titan 'OC edition' v04 [ACX] - vbios mod for cards with alternate air coolers

More to come tomorrow.

• Thumbs Up 2

Two new vbios added: 'OC edition v04' for any Titan with stock cooler and a 'ACX' version for those of you who might use the Titan with an after-market cooler (e.g. the EVGA ACX).

Both files are based on the latest Titan vbios I have, the usual tweaks are applied, as well as slightly lowered idle voltages and 3d voltage (it's perfectly fine for stock clock usage, if you're going to overclock I assume you'll adjust the voltage to your needs anyway.)

Downloads here:

Nvidia GTX Titan 'OC edition' v04 - vbios mod (stock cooler)

and

Nvidia GTX Titan 'OC edition' v04 [ACX] - vbios mod for cards with alternate air coolers

More to come tomorrow.

Thank you svl7! What's the difference in freq. and voltage between reg. and acx?

Two more versions added to the first post, optimized for downsampling from high custom resolutions, e.g. 4k to 1440p and similar.

Might be interesting for some of the gamers who like eye-candy :D

Thanks @Woklbokl for the input regarding this!!

Thank you svl7! What's the difference in freq. and voltage between reg. and acx?

Same, it's just a different fan profile.

• Thumbs Up 2

Same, it's just a different fan profile.

Cool, thanks! What about the downsampling versions? What specific change did you make for downsampling? Is it just higher default clocks or did you find other "under the hood" tweaks?

It's quite smaller than your previous v03, 197kb vs 229kb, I guess it's normal, what explains the differences ?

edit:

I've just flashed it, and it went fine.

Idling voltage is great ! now my titan is idling at 0.825v instead of 0.887v hopefully it will idle cooler too, I was idling at 21°C to 24°C before hopefully it gets even lower.

oddly enough GPU-Z report bios version : 80.10.3E.00.02 wasn't it supposed to be 80.10.3E.00.01 ?

edit2:

– ‘Boost 2.0′ disabled OK !

– voltage adjustable up to 1.2125V OK ! but MSI afterburner can't set higher than 1.125v, need nvidia inspector instead.

– undervolting possible OK !

– idles normally OK !

– default power target set to 350W OK !

– fan adjustable up to 100% OK !

– normal fan behavior OK !

– lower idle voltages OK ! 0.825v

Thanks very much svl7 for this great BIOS Versions.

Two weeks ago I take the v03 and was very satisfied,

Now i flashed the new v04 für special air cooler (i have a Gigabyte Titan with Windforce 3 Cooler): Its very very good, I confirm verything in MikjoA post. The fan curve does a great job, I push my card with 1.250v at 1.202/3.605 an the temperature stays at 81 degrees.

Wish this BIOS also for my 780 Lightning - no good vbios everywhere (Sky-BIOS for lightning is worse)

Best wishes from germany

• Thumbs Up 1

^

You could download it twice but twice different way, once with a download manager and then without and then compare the checksum, if they are the same then you don't need to worry, I guess the chance you get two corrupted files with the same hashes is the same to meet an alien speaking english.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, MSI AB has its issues.

I couldn't do much testing, but everything works very well, I'm not sure why, but my titan feels a little bit more stable at high overclocking, I could run a firestrike at 1215/7020 @1.212v, while before 1215/6008 would crash before the end, and I checked it didn't throttled at all.

Thanks a lot for the release :D

I'm going to try the downsampling version soon.

• Thumbs Up 2

im a paranoid :D

Could you add MD5 checksum for Rev4 ?

Rev 4 - 370188AC4AD86D642A32E6612A10902A
Rev 4 [ACX] - 4076D0AEC042813E379C4DE822E34524
Rev 4 DSed - 8AF4B06BEFFCAE6A5D4F0688085CF429
Rev4 DSed [ACX] - 21261EED60FA18D070DBB47163B07128

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks very much svl7 for this great BIOS Versions.

Two weeks ago I take the v03 and was very satisfied,

Now i flashed the new v04 für special air cooler (i have a Gigabyte Titan with Windforce 3 Cooler): Its very very good, I confirm verything in MikjoA post. The fan curve does a great job, I push my card with 1.250v at 1.202/3.605 an the temperature stays at 81 degrees.

Wish this BIOS also for my 780 Lightning - no good vbios everywhere (Sky-BIOS for lightning is worse)

Best wishes from germany

What trick do you use to set 1.250v ? Did you use msi afterburner tweak which allows up too 1.3v ?

Cuz I tried it, and my core voltage was fluctuating way too much, I had tried 1.241v I think, but it was varying from 1.2v to 1.241v in bench or games...

Did you manage to get it stable ?

^

You could download it twice but twice different way, once with a download manager and then without and then compare the checksum, if they are the same then you don't need to worry, I guess the chance you get two corrupted files with the same hashes is the same to meet an alien speaking english.

I agree with you and as far as i know ive never had a corrupted downloaded file in the last few years. But hey its a 900+ card. i thinks its a good reason to be a little bit paranoid.

greetings

What trick do you use to set 1.250v ? Did you use msi afterburner tweak which allows up too 1.3v ?

Cuz I tried it, and my core voltage was fluctuating way too much, I had tried 1.241v I think, but it was varying from 1.2v to 1.241v in bench or games...

Did you manage to get it stable ?

Yes, I use the msi afterburner tweak and the card ist stable, I think, the varying afterburner monitor does not matter