Nvidia GTX Titan - modified VBIOS for more control and better overclocking

svl7

Revised the 'OC edition', the updated files can be found in the first post. I adjusted the fan curve a bit so that it behaves more or less like the original vbios, but allows 100% fan speed.

The older version resulted in a too passive fan curve which lead to higher temps unless the fan got adjusted per software.

So if you ask me it's a good idea to update.

I've tried doing this but for whatever reason the shortcuts don't trigger the change in my set up @ startup. The desktop shortcuts however do. Very strange.

Try it with a .bat file, this might work better for running it automatically when the system boots.

• Thumbs Up 3

Revised the 'OC edition', the updated files can be found in the first post. I adjusted the fan curve a bit so that it behaves more or less like the original vbios, but allows 100% fan speed.

The older version resulted in a too passive fan curve which lead to higher temps unless the fan got adjusted per software.

Try it with a .bat file, this might work better for running it automatically when the system boots.

Will try that. In regards to the updated bios, is there any benefit to us watercooled users updating vs the previous version?

Thank you svl7 for making and sharing this BIOS.

I've flashed and done some tests with games today. The BIOS is great. I have more control over my Titans, thanks to the removed GPU Boost 2.0

I purposely let GPU temps go over 80C to see if downclocking kicks in. And your BIOS keeps Titans at rock steady clocks. No throttle, no downclocking whatsoever.

And if GPU usage drops due to less demand on GPUs, it downclocks and this is a good thing.

Overclocking using NVidia Inspector works fine. (Creating overclocking shorcuts for my Titan SLI and putting them in Startup folder also works great.)

Overclocking using EVGA Precision X also works great.

Although I have not tested with MSI AfterBurner, I see a few posts in this thread that overclocking using MSI AfterBurner does not work with your BIOS for some reason. It was my understanding that EVGA Precision X and MSI AfterBurner are essentially the same program made by Unwinder ?

Anyway, thank you svl7, again for the great BIOS. This is the best BIOS for Titan.

• Thumbs Up 2

Has the " GTX Titan - 80.10.2C.00.90' - 'OC edition v02' (SC version)" also been updated with this new fan profile if not could you please do so ?

Thank you sir! :Banane17:

I'll try it over the weekend and post back. ;)

Although I have not tested with MSI AfterBurner, I see a few posts in this thread that overclocking using MSI AfterBurner does not work with your BIOS for some reason. It was my understanding that EVGA Precision X and MSI AfterBurner are essentially the same program made by Unwinder ?

Hey @EC51 , still waiting for somebody else to confirm (or not) the AB/voltage issue. I'll never be 101% sure until somebody else try it and post back although my system is 101% fine, i installed/uninstalled several times the AB and the driver (i always do this after a vbios flash just in case, just to be on the safe side).

Had the same impression about these progs, thought they were actually almost the same with different skins...interesting...

Many thanks @svl7 for making and sharing his BIOS. 100% agree with svl7's posts at OCN re the distribution methods for his BIOS.

My 3dMark testings have been fun with this BIOS and it set all my records and counting...

Here are the results over this weekend,

3dMark(aka 3dmark13) Fire Strike v1.0

With OCN's bios --- 17226 --- NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3930K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 DELUXE score: P17226 3DMarks

With svl7 bios --- 18365 --- NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3930K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 DELUXE score: P18365 3DMarks --- increased by 6.6%

3dMark(aka 3dmark13) Fire Strike v1.1

With OCN's bios --- 17389 --- NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3930K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 DELUXE score: P17389 3DMarks

With svl7 bios --- 18610 --- NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3930K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 DELUXE score: P18619 3DMarks --- increased by 7%

3dMark(aka 3dmark13) Fire Strike Extreme v1.0

With OCN's bios --- 9173 --- NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3930K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 DELUXE score: X9173 3DMarks

With svl7 bios --- 9436 --- NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3930K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 DELUXE score: X9436 3DMarks --- increased by 2.9%

3dMark(aka 3dmark13) Fire Strike Extreme v1.1

With OCN's bios --- 9161 --- NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3930K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 DELUXE score: X9161 3DMarks

With svl7 bios --- 9942 --- NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3930K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 DELUXE score: X9942 3DMarks --- increased by 8.5%

3dMark 11 Single GTX Titan

With OCN's bios --- P15325 --- NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3930K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 DELUXE score: P15325 3DMarks

With svl7 bios --- P15768 --- NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3930K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 DELUXE score: P15768 3DMarks --- increased by 2.9%

3dMark 11 SLI GTX Titan

With OCN's bios --- P23165 --- NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3930K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 DELUXE score: P23165 3DMarks

With svl7 bios --- P24147 --- NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3930K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 DELUXE score: P24147 3DMarks --- increased by 4.2%

3dMark Vantage SLI GTX Titan

With OCN's bios --- P65208 --- NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3930K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 DELUXE score: P65208 3DMarks

With svl7 bios --- P66652 --- NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3930K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 DELUXE score: P66652 3DMarks --- increased by 2.2%

Bioshock Infinite Res--1920x1080, Quality--xTreme, AA--on, Map--Default

With OCN's bios --- 179.54 --- Resultado de vhco - Adrenaline BenchZone

With svl7 bios --- 202.12 --- Resultado de vhco - Adrenaline BenchZone --- increased by 12.6%

More to come...

• Thumbs Up 4

Just took the leap finally and started using the OC vbios works a treat

I appreciate your time and i enjoy seeing people give back to the community and help others like you have i have put $20 towards your efforts and look forward to seeing what else you have in store for us !

• Thumbs Up 2

Public links for the 'OC edition' added to the first post, I think those are ready for the masses.

Download links 'OC edition':

- Nvidia GTX Titan - 80.10.2C.0.06 'OC edition' v02

- Nvidia GTX Titan - 80.10.2C.0.90 'OC edition' v02 (SC version)

I'll post some other versions in this thread when I get the chance, I still have some ideas.

• Thumbs Up 5

Public links for the 'OC edition' added to the first post, I think those are ready for the masses.

Download links 'OC edition':

- Nvidia GTX Titan - 80.10.2C.0.06 'OC edition' v02

- Nvidia GTX Titan - 80.10.2C.0.90 'OC edition' v02 (SC version)

I'll post some other versions in this thread when I get the chance, I still have some ideas.

Thank you very much for your greatest work for all GTX Titan overclockers! Only a little thing... ASUS and EVGA BIOSes are branded, and I guess some people would like a neutral branded (nVidia) BIOS. I transplanted your brilliant invention to a neutral nVidia BIOS, in the attachment. I already tested this myself. If you feel it is useful, please add it to the download links. :D

Branded? I don't see what you mean except for the subvendor ID.

All you did is copy pasta my stuff to an older vbios version and getting rid of my sig.

Branded? I don't see what you mean except for the subvendor ID.

All you did is copy pasta my stuff to an older vbios version and getting rid of my sig.

Really sorry... I am not intended to do so... Please add your sig to the nVidia BIOS and remove my attachment...

When I got my GTX Titans, I compared nVidia, ASUS, and EVGA BIOSes. This time the difference is more than just 10DE 1005 10DE 1035... They all have different digital certificates attached to the BIOS, that's what I mean for "ASUS and EVGA ones are deeply branded".

But this time the version numbers bear no relation to actual codes. No matter higher or lower version number is, nVidia, ASUS, and EVGA BIOSes are truly the same bit to bit in codes, the only difference is value in factory default boost table. So... If you have time, could you please make a real OC version based on the boost table in nVidia neutral BIOS? Thank you very much!

The clock table is the same in all vbios files, except for the EVGA SC version which comes with slightly higher clocks. I set the default 3d clock to the default boost clock (876MHz, respectively 928MHz for the SC version).

The difference in the certificate comes from the slight differences in the vbios which changes the whole hash (e.g. subvendor ID). However the Asus vbios is slightly different than the Nvidia, Gigabyte etc vbios, it has some tiny changes and is a bit newer, that's why I used it. Also it seems to work fine.

It doesn't matter which subvendor ID is in the vbios, the drivers will install anyway, and besides GPU-Z showing a different vendor there is really no difference, the clocks are the same, so I think it's kinda pointless using the "Nvidia" branded vbios. Let me know in case I missed a point.

• Thumbs Up 2

The clock table is the same in all vbios files, except for the EVGA SC version which comes with slightly higher clocks. I set the default 3d clock to the default boost clock (876MHz, respectively 928MHz for the SC version).

The difference in the certificate comes from the slight differences in the vbios which changes the whole hash (e.g. subvendor ID). However the Asus vbios is slightly different than the Nvidia, Gigabyte etc vbios, it has some tiny changes and is a bit newer, that's why I used it. Also it seems to work fine.

It doesn't matter which subvendor ID is in the vbios, the drivers will install anyway, and besides GPU-Z showing a different vendor there is really no difference, the clocks are the same, so I think it's kinda pointless using the "Nvidia" branded vbios. Let me know in case I missed a point.

Thanks for this detailed explanation! Now I know that using neutral nVidia BIOS has no benefits and it's better to choose ASUS branded BIOS. :)

Something is bothering me with all the no-throttle bios's which have higher max TDP than the stock very limited 275W one. I have many cases that the maximum reported TDP reaches and exceeds the 90%, that's 315W.

I wonder how safe is this for the card, meaning the pcb, vrms etc, not the gpu chip since the max voltage is 1.212V and i can control the temp to be around 80C.

But for instance running the Sleeping Dogs and feeding the card with 1.212V i actually got 96%, that's 336W. 1.187V gave me 315W (90%), 1.175V gave me 305W (87%) and so forth...

Thanks for this detailed explanation! Now I know that using neutral nVidia BIOS has no benefits and it's better to choose ASUS branded BIOS. :)

How did you come to that conclusion ?

It's my understanding that all Titan BIOS are the same except for subvendor ID. (Just like GTX690 was) Some vendors such as Asus and EVGA choose to insert their ID (signature or brand tag however you want to name it) in their BIOS (eg. EVGA (3842) and ASUS (1043) etc) even though they are just the same reference PCB straight from NVIDIA. And there are many other vendors such as Zotac, Gigabyte, Galaxy etc who do not bother to insert their own subvendor ID to reference deign. Hence, subvendor ID = NVIDIA (10DE) remains the same.

How did you come to that conclusion ?

It's my understanding that all Titan BIOS are the same except for subvendor ID. (Just like GTX690 was) Some vendors such as Asus and EVGA choose to insert their ID (signature or brand tag however you want to name it) in their BIOS (eg. EVGA (3842) and ASUS (1043) etc) even though they are just the same reference PCB straight from NVIDIA. And there are many other vendors such as Zotac, Gigabyte, Galaxy etc who do not bother to insert their own subvendor ID to reference deign. Hence, subvendor ID = NVIDIA (10DE) remains the same.

However the Asus vbios is slightly different than the Nvidia, Gigabyte etc vbios, it has some tiny changes and is a bit newer, that's why I used it.

If I understand correctly... ASUS BIOS is newer in code, EVGA BIOS has the same code as nVidia BIOS but higher default frequency.

Not sure if this could be a bug with the newest drivers 320.14 or if its a bug with the vbios my card is getting stuck in different clocks like 2d clock mode i think for example i run a game and it shows 574mhz and even when adjusting the gpu clock it still stays on that ? i tried a restart and also closing precision and re-opening it and also checked gpuz it is indeed at 574 mhz ? any ideas nvidia control settings are prefer max performance and single display as well

Edit

Can confirm it is not 320.14 i reinstalled the whql drivers and same issue ? it seems it is switching between 3d and 2d clock mode but is very slow to do so now where as before it was instant any idea what could be causing this i haven't changed anything other than installing the latest drivers which i have now reverted

I would just like to stop by to say THANK YOU!! Your vbios looks to have resolved my driver crashing in Skyrim!!! I have 2 Titans in SLi and have been painfully waiting for a fix for the past 2 months or so.

I plan to donate after extensive testing tomorrow.

Thanks again so much for taking the time to create this vbios!

-far327

• Thumbs Up 2

far327, good to see you here.

Interesting enough, my stability issues with Skyrim is gone after I started using this BIOS. I think fixed/constant voltage (and perhaps others things which I may not be aware) helps with stability in Skyrim. I'm going to test for a few more days until I can 100% confirm.

Let us know how things pan out with stability in Skyrim. :)

- - - Updated - - -

If I understand correctly... ASUS BIOS is newer in code, EVGA BIOS has the same code as nVidia BIOS but higher default frequency.

Indeed. That what svl7's comments suggest. However, I don't think "it has some tiny changes and is a bit newer" automatically means better.

I maybe mistaken but I thought svl7's BIOS is based on Asus (and EVGA SC BIOS) because his Titan is from Asus.

Also, EVGA SC version of his BIOS probably is based on the Asus BIOS with updated/changed subvendor ID in hexcode and default 3D clock difference (876 vs 928). If this is the case, this means they both are eventually identical.