Nvidia GTX Titan - modified VBIOS for more control and better overclocking

svl7

Nvidia 'GTX Titan' - modified VBIOS files

The Titan is a beast, no point denying it. Incredible performance for a single card, but there are still some things which I don't really like about it (in addition to the insane pricing :D).

"Boost 2.0" is one of the features I don't really like, especially for overclocking as you use proper control over the clocks. Without monitoring you'll never know what your card is actually running at, and you don't have any possibility to properly adjust it to your likes.

The second point is the lack of an easy voltage control, tools like Nvidia Inspector get blocked and won't allow you to raise the voltage to the maximum vbios level.

The following modified VBIOS version will take care of this and give you more control over your hardware.

Features of the "OC edition":

• Boost 2.0 disabled - the card runs at the clocks you set it to
  • Voltage is adjustable up to 1.2125V
  • Default power target = 350W (so there should be no more need to adjust it manually per software)
  • Fan speed adjustable up to 100%
  • Clocks are stock, card idles normally at 2d voltage
  • v04 -> lower idle voltages, lower default 3d voltage

Download links 'OC edition':

80.10.3E.00.01_-_GTX_Titan_'OC_edition'_v04.zip

80.10.3E.00.01_-_GTX_Titan_'OC_edition'_v04_[ACX].zip

GTX_Titan_-_80.10.2C.00.06_-_'OC_edition_v03.zip

GTX_Titan_-_80.10.2C.00.90'_-_'OC_edition'_v02_(SC_version).zip

>>> NEW: 'OC edition' - Downsampling version <<<

Some tweaks that will allow you to use higher custom resolutions through the Nvidia control panel, e.g. if you like to use extreme downsampling in games (3840x2400 @ 2560x1600@60hz or even 5120x2880 @ 2560x1440@60hz or similar).

80.10.3E.00.01_-_GTX_Titan_'OC_edition'_rev04.1_Downsampling_Version

80.10.3E.00.01_-_GTX_Titan_'OC_edition'_rev04.1_Downsampling_Version

See attachments at the end of the post.

Here's a video of the vbios in use, demonstrated by @Brian:

Spoiler

Instructions:

In the unlikely case that you're reading this and don't know how to flash a vbios, check this: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2166-%5Bguide%5D-nvidia-vbios-flashing.html

Also I have to advise you against using any of the current Kepler vbios tweaking tools on these mods, you could run into issues if the tool is not properly implemented.

• First of all create a backup of your original vbios. Nvidia had the great idea to put the serial number of the card in the vbios, so you're better off keeping a backup of your original firmware.
  • Flash with the -6 flag in order to override an SSID mismatch if you flash a vbios from a different vendor (don't worry, it won't do any harm).
  • Reboot and have fun :)

Versions:

I currently provide two versions, one is based on the EVGA SC vbios and therefore has slightly higher stock clocks. The other one is based on the Asus vbios and has the same features, but default clocks.

Both versions will work on any current Titan, no matter which vendor.

'OC edition' rev03 and newer

Undervolting per software now supported as well.

0tpw.jpg

Have fun overclocking!

titan12021627382000.png

FAQ

Spoiler

• Clocks and voltage are not dropping below p0 state, why is this? Answer: Because you likely have a background program or process running that keeps it stuck at p0. If you are using Corsair Link, that can cause it, you will need to shut it off and disable it from starting if you want to enter low the low power state.
  • Can I use these vbios with Kepler Tweak program? Answer: It is not recommended that these vbios be used in conjunction with the program because it can possibly brick your system.
  • Will you release further revisions? Answer: If they are needed and when I have time.

Here's my donation link in case you want to buy me a beer ;)

If there are any question, let me know.

Do not under any circumstances mirror these bios files!

80.10.3E.00.01_-_GTX_Titan_'OC_edition'_rev04.1_Downsampling_Version.zip

80.10.3E.00.01_-_GTX_Titan_'OC_edition'_rev04.1_Downsampling_Version_[ACX].zip

• Thumbs Up 34

Hi new to this forum and website, I came here for the modded Titan Bios because the GPU Boost 2.0 throttle tech has no place in a high performance card such as TITAN and I think it stuffs up smoothness of games (I may be wrong), I have two EVGA SC Titans With ASIC's of 66.4% and 70.1% My questions are:

1. If I flash both card with the SC bios will I be able to underclock the for when internet browsingas the way they are at the moment they idle at 50 degrees and jump into 3d mode for no reason.

2.What Program do I use to flash the cards.

3.Do you know where I can get the stock EVGA SC BIOS for if I need to RMA or resell te card in the future.

Cheers

• Founder
Hi new to this forum and website, I came here for the modded Titan Bios because the GPU Boost 2.0 throttle tech has no place in a high performance card such as TITAN and I think it stuffs up smoothness of games (I may be wrong), I have two EVGA SC Titans With ASIC's of 66.4% and 70.1% My questions are:

1. If I flash both card with the SC bios will I be able to underclock the for when internet browsingas the way they are at the moment they idle at 50 degrees and jump into 3d mode for no reason.

2.What Program do I use to flash the cards.

3.Do you know where I can get the stock EVGA SC BIOS for if I need to RMA or resell te card in the future.

Cheers

Hi and welcome to T|I forums. To answer your questions:

1. Yes you can underclock for when you are doing 2D and the voltages should also automatically drop. @svl7 may also release a vbios that has lower voltages than stock for people that want lower temperatures, especially idle.

2. The OP has all the information you need, you will be using nvflash.

3. You can save your own stock vbios using GPU-Z by clicking on the little save icon in the main window. Alternatively you can use nvflash by typing the following command:

nvflash -i0 -b < name >.rom

This is for card 1.

nvflash -i1 -b < name >.rom

And this is for the second card. Replace < name > with whatever name you want to designate.

Sorry I'm just about to flash these puppies and have used the gpu z option of saving my bios's, In the flashing instructions it says DOS can only read 8 characters so do I have to rename the new bios to only 8 characters? Also both my cards report the same bios but one has something in brackets at the end in brackets these are the two cards bios's: Bios GPU1 90.10.2c.00.90 / GPU2 80.10.2c.00.90(p2083-0010)what does the stuff in the brackets mean.

just tried the sc bios and very happy with the boost gone,however when I tried raising the clocks using KeplerBiosTweaker it seems to keep it locked at 1084,what am I doing wrong for it not to change?

just tried the sc bios and very happy with the boost gone,however when I tried raising the clocks using KeplerBiosTweaker it seems to keep it locked at 1084,what am I doing wrong for it not to change?

You should just use Precision X there is no reason to take this already unlocked bios and adjust it trough bios flashes :P

Hi just flashed both cards, now i can change the clocks fine and the card that had the higher ASIC always had lower voltage and boosted higher that is also the card that had the numbers in brackets at the end on the bios, my only problem is i can adjust the voltage in evga precision up to 1212 but only on the first card the other card the better ASIC on won't change voltage from the flashed bios setting at all up or down but i can adjust clocks on that. if i use nvidia inspector i can adjust clocks on both cards but not voltage no matter what i set when i click apply it does not change. HELP PLEASE

• Founder
Hi just flashed both cards, now i can change the clocks fine and the card that had the higher ASIC always had lower voltage and boosted higher that is also the card that had the numbers in brackets at the end on the bios, my only problem is i can adjust the voltage in evga precision up to 1212 but only on the first card the other card the better ASIC on won't change voltage from the flashed bios setting at all up or down but i can adjust clocks on that. if i use nvidia inspector i can adjust clocks on both cards but not voltage no matter what i set when i click apply it does not change. HELP PLEASE

Are you certain you flashed both cards and not just one? If you did, nvinspector should let you change the voltage for both, be sure to use the drop down menu to change from GPU 0 to 1.

• Founder

I wouldn't advise altering the vbios using kepler tweaker or any other program. If you need a preset clock, you can request @svl7 to make one if there's enough demand.

I'm heading to bed, @svl7 will probably be online in a few hours so keep an eye on this thread. Thanks.

yes I flashed both separately, as in inspector it shows both as (MODIFIED) In Inspector i can change clocks but not voltage i mean i can change voltage but applying makes no real change. EVGA Precision on the other hand lets me up the volts to 1212 but applying that only applies it to card 1.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol Sorry sorry I'm a NOOB! the voltages dont change unless i have the gpu pcie render thingy going as in the vid. so now if i change voltages it changes them yay sorry for the previous two posts it just proovs im a noob. Cheers for the awesome BIOS svl7 :)

I'm afraid the tool you mention has some serious issues, I can't recommend using it.

Hi I am running sli and the usage is locked it only started after I flashed with this bios on this site. since the clocks are looked would that also lock the usage, just before i fired up bf3 with the stock clocks of the new bios and usage was locked at 43%? I backed up my olb bios's on both cards using gpuz but when i try to reflash the cards back with the saved roms it wont flash them. does it matter if i renammed the roms?

I can't help you unless I have more information.. "it won't flash them" doesn't tell me anything. Which commands did you use and what error message did nvflash come up with?

Not sure about the usage, never noticed this. Which vbios are you using? Also some overclocking programs are buggy, e.g. precision can mess up a lot, especially when used together with a second tool. I can recommend nvidia inspector.

MY ROUND!

just flashed with your bios and beat my Valley score by 100+

post-12149-14494995080616_thumb.png

my old highest was in the 3120's mark.

thank you svl7 enjoy your beers!

- - - Updated - - -

that wasn't even my highest clock speed my highest clock speed is 1188mhz on core and that was just my gaming clock 1100mhz! u r the man!

• Thumbs Up 3

Will the card be able to go in standby mode with this bios? or will it always be @the clocks you set?

It will idle just as with the stock vbios (0.875V @324MHz if I remember correctly, at least for single monitor).

is their any other tool beyond KeplerBiosTweaker that I can use to perminently set the clockspeed so I dont have to keep coming back and making request for them,which Im sure youll get fedup of in the end :)