Buying a New PC

If you're not in a hurry and can wait few weeks, rumour are that new 700 series nvidias coming out mid day.

Price should be around 800$, Im not crazy enough to blow that much on a gpu :D. Maybe, there is a price drop soon.

My final conclusion is to wait till june :/ by that time Nvidia's 780GTX price would be dropped significantly and I think I can get a haswell board for a decent price :/ Fucking technology.

The price "drops" can be very weird. For example, look at the CPUs. There's still the same price on Sandy Bridge i5-2500K as it was way back, and for some reason it costs exactly the same as i5-3570K. But, look on the bright side -- it could be way worse, like it is with smartphones. :D

The price "drops" can be very weird. For example, look at the CPUs. There's still the same price on Sandy Bridge i5-2500K as it was way back, and for some reason it costs exactly the same as i5-3570K. But, look on the bright side -- it could be way worse, like it is with smartphones. :D

Thanks a lot for your help, Im going to wait two months maximum, and I hope I can get a new GTX 780 system ^^ and a haswell if its not delayed, asus already have announced a new ROG mobo for the new gen CPUs.

I would commit a huge mistake and waste tons of cash, Im very happy to be a techinferno member.

From what I've seen there aren't that many dramatic price drops in a non-competitive market. The old versions are simply phased out and are replaced by new ones with a similar or higher price.

• Thumbs Up 1

my 2 cents -

buy online: the 'egg' is my go to online site for desktop builds. they have an excellent rma policy if you have probs with a bad part. the 'tiger' also has some good deals from time to time. in terms of price drops, there seems to be a 'sweet spot' between getting a really good deal on a great cpu/gpu/motherboard/ram whatever, that's still a high-performing solid system part--that went on a big sale because the 'newer models' with some (not always dramatic) performance boost have hit the scene. the really high-end components suck a lot of buck for a tiny boost, so if you don't ''just have to have it'' then scaling back just a bit and putting the extra bucks somewhere else is a sound investment.

i would add check reviews for a rock-stable motherboard and memory combo. then you can overclock if you want (or not), but you'll have fewer problems overall.

power supply - definitely go (way) above your required specs--pay a bit more for a good/better one and definitely with isolated rails. I scratched my head over bsod issues and 'bad hard drive' screens until i upgraded a good brand power supply rated above my specs to a great one way above my rated specs and all my probs dissappeared. under load it couldn't maintain spec or noise isolation like the manufacturer claimed. so throw a few extra bucks into this one, it'll stop problems that may appear to be caused by other components. (also, if that 'next video card' wants to suck even more power you're safe here).

cooling - important. very important. if you get a top end cpu or video card, they tend to really run hotter than the more middle road or lower end. (here i'm thinking of my 3.4 Ghz quad core compared to the 3.2 Ghz of the same model). Huge heat increase. i ended buying one of those closed-system water coolers for it. (OK, I tend to game when its 110F outside, and 84F inside, lol). completely worth it. not only is the cpu cooler now, but the heat goes outside the case, so everything is cooler now. it's a no maintenance system and again, on the eggy/tiger sale, cost about $40--less than what I originally paid for the fan cooler. with the isolated cpu and gpu water coolers out now, you don't need to go the whole water cool system vs air, you can mix and match. or you can start with one and then upgrade later, like I did. :) also, thermal paste is a BIG deal IMHO. i didn't believe it until I threw out bucks for the expensive 'diamond paste', and watched my temps drop 4 - 6 C under full load for the gpu, and 10C for the cpu. (my laptop cpu/gpu temps dropped even more-but the thermal paste there had broken down).

upgrading - ok, for example.: i usually build on a budget. so I dream of the top stuff, and then prioritize. this last system I bought 8 GB ram, and later upgraded to 16 GB (when I had restored my wallet, and prices dropped). I started with a 2 core cpu, and then later upgraded to a faster 4 core. ... (for the same price I orig paid for the 2 core due to price drops/sales). then I realized that the new cpu was much hotter, and so I dumped the cpu aftermarket massive fan cooler, and replaced it with a closed system cpu water cooler (for less than I paid for the awesome cpu fan cooler...due to... price drops and sales). the upgrades were probably about 2 years later, so that has been my time frame for seeing significant price drops. the cpu/mobo/ram you need to have really matched. and get a case and power supply to put them in. then you can use your old parts from your current pc and then upgrade to the new stuff as you find it/can afford it.

focus on the things that are important to you - on the motherboard for me it was a lot of usb ports, great stability, sata speed, etc. for the case it was - air flow, ability to add drives, etc (and then the 'cool appearance factor' did play a part.) i have a mid tower but i wish i had gone full tower. much more room, much more air flow. i don't move mine so i don't need portability, but I needed to fit it in a certain space and i liked the particular model case i got (they didn't make it in full). but for expansion ability and video cards, and ease of working on it? definitely go full tower in my opinion (unless you move it a lot). also, heavy steel cases rock. they are solid and in my experience are generally better manufactured (you're less likely to get a bad/damaged case and have to rma) are closer to spec, and are just higher quality overall. (goes for storebought models, too.)

the little details - really important to me are the peripherals - great keyboard, monitor, gaming mouse, headset, mousepad, speakers.--completely trivial in terms of long-term build, and you can add pieces and upgrade over time. but these parts to me are what make the system truly enjoyable--great sound w good mic quality on a comfy headset, feeling like I'm really there playing on the big screen and having customized keys and mouse settings with a good hand feel. but you can add those at any time (given enough usb ports, lol). i'm a huge fan of playing in the dard using a backlit keyboard (and a comfy chair).

I did upgrade to an ssd for the os, and I completely agree-- just the faster boot is really nice. i thought they were pretty gimmicky as well; now that I have one, I will not be returning to a spindle os drive. and i really dig the bigger, higher resolution monitor. critical to performance? no. greatly increases the fun factor? yes.

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks a lot for your help, Im going to wait two months maximum, and I hope I can get a new GTX 780 system ^^ and a haswell if its not delayed, asus already have announced a new ROG mobo for the new gen CPUs.

I would commit a huge mistake and waste tons of cash, Im very happy to be a techinferno member.

GTX 780 sounds great! :) I think it'll be great even with current gen CPUs.

GTX 780 sounds great! :) I think it'll be great even with current gen CPUs.

Thank you all. The launching price is about 650-700+ $, which is insane!, I might cut ties with nvidia after a long 13 years journey, I might even switch to amd HD 7970 GHZ edition even though its an outdated card, I can afford to a gtx titan or a sli 780 GTX, but nvidia now a days is mistreating their beloved customers and belittling them, just because they are not competing with amd anymore thats doesnt mean to rise prices as much as they want!. At last, I found a good site to get parts for minimum prices, I'm not sure whether I can link you to it or not, please let me know.

Regards and sorry for my bad English.

Quite honestly I've owned mostly ATI cards my whole life. I dooo like the Nvid's but they are a bit pricier. As of right now I have a 7950 with a 7970 BIOS flashed on it. Works awesome. Mine is the Sapphire Dual-X 7950, and under full load with fans at 100% it doesn't even touch 55C which is pretty impressive. Many people complain about hiccups in performance but I have yet to see mine randomly hiccup unless is my old processor being bogged down lol. Do some research, watch some benchmark vid's, I can assure you that if there's an Nvidia card out there, there's an ATI card that costs less and can overclock to that level :D

Quite honestly I've owned mostly ATI cards my whole life. I dooo like the Nvid's but they are a bit pricier. As of right now I have a 7950 with a 7970 BIOS flashed on it. Works awesome. Mine is the Sapphire Dual-X 7950, and under full load with fans at 100% it doesn't even touch 55C which is pretty impressive. Many people complain about hiccups in performance but I have yet to see mine randomly hiccup unless is my old processor being bogged down lol. Do some research, watch some benchmark vid's, I can assure you that if there's an Nvidia card out there, there's an ATI card that costs less and can overclock to that level :D

First off, thanks, and secondly, they are no longer ati :D Ive watched countless videos, price/performance ratio is much higher for amd cards, anyways, amd is going to release 8 series in 2014; however, nvidia is going to release the seven series in few weeks, which bothers me a lot!.

Regards.

I can assure you that if there's an Nvidia card out there, there's an ATI card that costs less and can overclock to that level :D

Titan. :P

/trolling, I agree in principle. ;)

also might be worth mentioning if this is your first build.... most motherboards have a chipset that is compatible with either amd or NVidia (gpu) based video cards. this is in addition to the major design for an amd or intel cpu (main processor).. some are made deliberately to cross over (eg -an amd processor but an NVidia video card or an intel processor but an amd video card). so if you really are in love with a video card, you might take that into consideration when choosing your motherboard. some claim to do both, but a quick check of user reviews on a more educated site will reveal lots of builders finding bugs when using video cards on motherboards that have their chipsets based on the competitor brand chips...lol, so it's worth checking compatibility there as well....

also might be worth mentioning if this is your first build.... most motherboards have a chipset that is compatible with either amd or NVidia (gpu) based video cards. this is in addition to the major design for an amd or intel cpu (main processor).. some are made deliberately to cross over (eg -an amd processor but an NVidia video card or an intel processor but an amd video card). so if you really are in love with a video card, you might take that into consideration when choosing your motherboard. some claim to do both, but a quick check of user reviews on a more educated site will reveal lots of builders finding bugs when using video cards on motherboards that have their chipsets based on the competitor brand chips...lol, so it's worth checking compatibility there as well....

That's interesting.

I guess I assumed that particular problem (sli w/ amd processor or xfire on intel) was something that was done away with two generations ago - with Intel's i-series of processors. While I don't generally patrol motherboard forums, I could have sworn that most, if not all, current gen motherboards will have these chips from stock that allow both technologies regardless of processor..?

I hope so...that would be nice...and about time too! I hit it last when building NVidia on amd board n processor. lol. (that's about the time i'm cruising manufacturer sites for compatibility, and forum reviewers calling out quirkly, underreported bugs). I know intel's 'i' series took part of the northbridge and put it on the processor as the 'qpi' but they do still have a northbridge and a chipset, whether they've bought the licensing (NVidia) for it or not, or ironed out the compatibility isn't/wasn't always what the manufacturer is forthcoming about. I know some boards do now but if they all do I wasn't aware. good news.

Er.....

I've built countless systems and never heard of this before. Do you have some reference pages I could read?

hmmmm....evidently I seriously date myself here.... in the archaelogical prehistory of motherboards they either had agp or pci adaptors and were married to either nvidia or ati (radeon) video cards, some crossover occurred. but mostly intel cpu compatible boards mated with nvidia graphics cards and amd cpu compatible motherboards mated with ati cards only. then crossover started (with some intel cpu boards accepting amd video cards, and amd cards accepting nvidia boards, but they were the rarity). and even then, the chipsets on the motherboards still weren't completely compatible, even when pci-e hit the scene. and then it was sli for nvidia or crossfire for ati graphics cards (but specifically one or the other, not both). and even then the motherboard chipset (specifically the via chipset i think, but this is from memory) would glitch with some motherboards and some graphics cards, causing many to suffer....all very ancient history apparently...especially it appears since the core-i7 cpu's now reign king. (i still love my amd quad-core desktop, though my laptop is i7). I'm not complaining that times have changed and motherboards are finally playing nicely with both types of video cards, just pleasantly surprised. this is of course a field where a lowly 2 years creates massive change. which is good. :)