Intel 6 Core CPUs Owners Lounge

Conker

Welcome to Tech|Infernos Intel 6Core Owners Lounge

intel6coreowners.jpg

:tyrannosaurus:This is the official T|I 6Core Owner discussion thread :tyrannosaurus:

• Discuss hardware and cooling setups
  • Ask for help or advice
  • Post guides or helpful information
  • Share your setup
  • Share your experiences
  • Share your overclocking results

Dual X5690 on SR2 here. 4500MHz since May 2011. Very stable. Will OC considerably higher for gaming/benchmarking but not truly stable (may get computation errors every 30 hours or so at 4.66, for example whereas 4.5 is stable for months of 100% crunching, etc.) EK HF supreme CPU blocks, MIPS SR2 chipset cooler (Cu/Delrin), 2 Titans at 1202/3333 cooled with EK copper/acetel blocks. (NO NICKEL CRAP!) Running Areca ARC 1880 series SAS hosts with a mixture of enterprise SSDs and mechanical disks. Dual Antec HCP1200W PSUs with wiring to turn both on as well as a pressure system to call for cooling pump. System in its own chassis with external water cooling system comprised of four MORA3 pro (9x140) rads, Iwaki RD30 pump at 24V, each radiator has its own 450ml reservoir feeding into a parallel balancing manifold which feeds the suction eye of the pump. Flow measured at 5 liter/min through all this stuff. Tubing is 1/2" ID Norprene held with SS breeze clamps. Is that enough? :P

Dual X5690 on SR2 here. 4500MHz since May 2011. Very stable. Will OC considerably higher for gaming/benchmarking but not truly stable (may get computation errors every 30 hours or so at 4.66, for example whereas 4.5 is stable for months of 100% crunching, etc.) EK HF supreme CPU blocks, MIPS SR2 chipset cooler (Cu/Delrin), 2 Titans at 1202/3333 cooled with EK copper/acetel blocks. Running Areca ARC 1880 series SAS hosts with a mixture of enterprise SSDs and mechanical disks. Dual Antec HCP1200W PSUs with wiring to turn both on as well as a pressure system to call for cooling pump. System in its own chassis with external water cooling system comprised of four MORA3 pro (9x140) rads, Iwaki RD30 pump at 24V, each radiator has its own 450ml reservoir feeding into a parallel balancing manifold which feeds the suction eye of the pump. Flow measured at 5 liter/min through all this stuff. Tubing is 1/2" ID Norprene held with SS breeze clamps. Is that enough? :P

How did you overclock that CPU? I thought people couldn't get BCLK straps working on Xeons?

If things have changed then someone give me $4k+ so I can start the 8 core club

Westmere Xeons are unlocked up to stock multi. The only board that allows this exploit is EVGA's SR2. Did not see the point of the SRX though as those processors are locked. It's possible to get around the lock on Westies moving forward by using C1E and it will swing to 26 on all cores under load but I've had the best luck with the 25X multiplier and just adjust baseclock as needed. It's a pretty sick setup and 12 westy cores at 4.5GHz is nothing to sneeze at even for a two year old system!

Westmere Xeons are unlocked up to stock multi. The only board that allows this exploit is EVGA's SR2. Did not see the point of the SRX though as those processors are locked. It's possible to get around the lock on Westies moving forward by using C1E and it will swing to 26 on all cores under load but I've had the best luck with the 25X multiplier and just adjust baseclock as needed. It's a pretty sick setup and 12 westy cores at 4.5GHz is nothing to sneeze at even for a two year old system!

Oh I thought your CPUs were sandy bridge based. Hard to find out fast on intel arc. The old sspec website was far more informative.

Still a pretty impressive system though, but it's sad to hear that intel's best CPUs still cannot be overclocked.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

using a 3960X 4.5G (occasionally to 5.3G for benching and some game) on ASUS ROG R4E, since the SNB-E don't support PCI-E 3.0, it cause many compatibility problems with the new generation PCI-E 3.0 VGA cards. a trick to solve the problem is to set all the PCI-E lane from PCI-E 3.0 to PCI-E 2.0 in BIOS configuration. that will solve the occasionally happening "black screen in boot process" . hope that will help you guys

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

I am a 3930k owner. 4.2GHz at 1.34v, I just do not want to go any higher because of what I have encountered. Let me explain why, when I use processor stress testing software (Intel Burn Test, Prime) everything is fine at first. Temps are 68 C with 150 Watts, but after some seconds the wattage jumps to 200-210 Watts. I have done some reading I believe that it is to prevent voltage drop. But the problem is that my temps rocket to 75-80 C when the cpu uses 200 watts... Under less demanding tests and games there are no wattage jumps like this and the temps are stable. I want to squeeze some more performance out of the CPU, but I want to ask should I? and how? Maybe there is a solution to the voltage drop problem.

Here are some basic specs:

Custom water cooling.

Ram: Quad channel 4x8Gbytes 1600MHz

MB: Asus Rampage 4 Extreme

GPU: HD 7990

GPU2: HD 7990

PSU: Lepa G1600

Please tell me if you want any more information like screens, etc...

Yes I am an amateur, any advice would be appreciated. I hope I can learn from your experiences =)

• 2 weeks later...

Recently built some work PC's with the i7-4930K. If we were using software that was reasonably multithreaded, we'd have picked Xeon's, but since most tasks still run singlethreaded, went with the 4930K. Great little processor. Love the speed. I still wonder if I should have spec'd the E5-1650 instead, for the FP unit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am running a i7-4960X on ASRock X79 Pro, got it right when it came out to replace my [email protected] GHz.

I calculated at least 50% speed increase with overclocking against my "old" CPU for my Ultra HD game video encoding.

I ended up with a solid 4.554 GHz overclock and (a bit over) 60% speed increase. RAM's are Crucial Ballistics 32 GB Kit (the compact non-showy one's) running at 1866 with 8/8/8/24 timing at 1.55 V, Sisoft measured 49 GB/s RAM speed.

Getting to 4.6 and 4.7 GHz is possible, but the heat is uncontrollable depending on the job, the Noctua NH-D14 cannot get the 150 to 180 watts of the CPU when doing video encoding, letting it go over 80°C way too fast (i.e. less than 5 seconds).

4.8 is unstable no matter what I do ;)

Happy owned of the I7 3930k. Have not pushed this thing as far as it can go with only my Corsair H100, but I do love it. It's nice to open up handbrake and it see use all 12 threads to 96%. Only running triple channel RAM though, can't find the 4th Samsung stick >:(