ideapad Y500 fan control.

juukes

just wondering if anyone has figured out a way to control the fan speed of the ideapad y500. .. using the Energy Management Dust Removal tool provided by lenovo i noticed the fan speed fan push quite a bit of air out. i would like to be able to control this and actually have the fans running at these speeds despite the noise.

i've tried speedfan but that didnt do nothing. anyone know of a way to do this?

just wondering if anyone has figured out a way to control the fan speed of the ideapad y500. .. using the Energy Management Dust Removal tool provided by lenovo i noticed the fan speed fan push quite a bit of air out. i would like to be able to control this and actually have the fans running at these speeds despite the noise.

i've tried speedfan but that didnt do nothing. anyone know of a way to do this?

In the (unlocked) BIOS. Check the sticky at the top of the subforum. No software is gonna work. Remember this is a laptop.

i have already flashed to the modded 2.02 bios for overclocking purposes.. where in the bios options would i be able to find the fan speeds.. i believe i tried seeting them to 100% before but it does not make the fan spin as fast as the dust removal app

i have already flashed to the modded 2.02 bios for overclocking purposes.. where in the bios options would i be able to find the fan speeds.. i believe i tried seeting them to 100% before but it does not make the fan spin as fast as the dust removal app

I believe there's a section where you can specify which temperatures the fan kicks in and such. Lowering it should do the trick.

Dust removal app? If that thing controls the fan you could try and monitor the EC registers while using it and see whether you can somehow figure out what it does to control the fan speed.

this setting doesnt make the fan go into the same fan speed as the dust removal app provided by lenovo

I don't think there's an easy way to make the fan go that fast, at least not as it's programmed by default. It doesn't get that loud even when my CPU is approaching thermal shutdown which, in theory, should make it go 100%. Doing the dust removal procedure makes it sound like a jet taking off and the fan is probably going in reverse as well.

Dust removal app? If that thing controls the fan you could try and monitor the EC registers while using it and see whether you can somehow figure out what it does to control the fan speed.

@svl7 the dust removal feature is part of a pre-installed program called Lenovo Energy Management which lets you change power profiles and such. Performing the dust removal process simply cycles the fans at high speed for a few minutes, although in my experience it's nowhere as effective as using a can of compressed air. There are no actual fan controls in the program.

@svl7 the dust removal feature is part of a pre-installed program called Lenovo Energy Management which lets you change power profiles and such. Performing the dust removal process simply cycles the fans at high speed for a few minutes, although in my experience it's nowhere as effective as using a can of compressed air. There are no actual fan controls in the program.

Yeah, I figured so much, I just suggested monitor what the program does in order to change the fan speed.

can you explain how to monitor the ec registers im not too familiar with this stuff..

The option for this is in the BIOS? I have practically nothing in mine, but I still have the one it came with on here. I'm waiting until my post count goes up so I can download the attachments. But yeah is that option to adjust what temp the fan kicks in in the modded 2.02 BIOS but not the original one?

The option for this is in the BIOS? I have practically nothing in mine, but I still have the one it came with on here. I'm waiting until my post count goes up so I can download the attachments. But yeah is that option to adjust what temp the fan kicks in in the modded 2.02 BIOS but not the original one?

Yeah the stock BIOS is very locked down. The modded one unlocks all the hidden menu options that aren't there originally. I don't actually know if there is anything in there that will allow you to control fan speeds. But there are a ton of thermal and power management settings and some of them do seem like they would do the trick.

I have no need to adjust the fan speeds so I have not messed around in the BIOS and don't intend to. The last time I did, I unwittingly disabled one of the USB ports and thought for the longest time that the port was broken. It was only after resetting the BIOS settings to default that my USB port came back.

Even though I consider myself to be relatively computer-savvy I would not tweak any BIOS settings I am not familiar with. A lot of them have arcane names and some don't do anything or could make your system unbootable if adjusted incorrectly. The only three settings I have changed are enabling the always-on USB port, enabling deep S3 function, and disabling BD PROCHOT. The first two settings are already in the stock BIOS and the last one is only available in the modded one. Deep S3 is a deeper sleep state that reduces battery discharge when on DC power. BD PROCHOT throttles the CPU when the system detects that the GPU is running too hot but in my experience this machine doesn't actually use this throttling mechanism so this setting doesn't really matter. Basically, I have found no settings in the unlocked menus that need to be changed from default.

• 3 weeks later...

Really wish there was a way to turn on the fans to 100% that dust removal program that lenovo has for power management would be great if you can turn it on only for gaming... What about the program ACFanControl I used it on my acer 5750g to control the fan speed you think it would work for the y500 here is a link http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/536084-fan-control-utility.html

i found for games the cpu is the limiter. cause the cpu goes at 3.3 ghz until the temps get hot, then it slows to 2.4ghz and the game starts to studder until it cools again, and the fast slow fast slow cycle continues. does yours also do that or is it just getting to hot? it happens around 80C.

Is it possible that running the fan that fast for extended periods of time could be harmful? I think you would be better off getting better cooling under the laptop instead of overdriving the fan.

i found for games the cpu is the limiter. cause the cpu goes at 3.3 ghz until the temps get hot, then it slows to 2.4ghz and the game starts to studder until it cools again, and the fast slow fast slow cycle continues. does yours also do that or is it just getting to hot? it happens around 80C.

Hi pierrePoutine, have you tried disabling BD Prochot, Short PWR duration limit, and C-states on your y500 within the bios? Do you have throttlestop @ 3.2ghz? I find that with all of these things my pc NEVER goes below 3.2ghz, unless I want it to (hotkeyed Throttlestop profiles for battery savings and stuff). The stock cooling design should be able to handle any increased heat without a problem (mine does at least).

I have an on-screen display that tell me my GPU clock/utilization, as well as for the CPU, and it reports CONSTANT 3.2ghz, no matter the temperature.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

With my very limited skill in programming I was able to find that EnergyManagement.dll has a class that states the following:

[DllImport("LenovoSDKEmSubSystem.dll")]

public static void SetHighSpeedOfFan(bool speedFlg);

I wasn't able to fully open either dll. My attempts at trying to figure out what the dll being imported contains have resulted in a lot of random symbols. It's interesting though that it is a boolean and not a variable, meaning it has an option of being at HighSpeed or not. I wasn't able to figure out what that dll does with speedFlg later on....anyway if Lenovo can just use a software to change the fan speed to high I don't see why we wouldn't be able to with enough tinkering.

Disable turbo boost when gaming. Save yourself the trouble. This can drop temps from 100 to 75 easily. Turbo boost isn't really meant to be ran all times. It's just if the thermal specifications allow for it. I game without turbo boost and I haven't seen one game complaining.

Use this together with nvidia framelimiter in nvidia inspector. Turn off vsync as you like. And you got a nice quiet and cool system...

• 3 weeks later...
With my very limited skill in programming I was able to find that EnergyManagement.dll has a class that states the following:

I wasn't able to fully open either dll. My attempts at trying to figure out what the dll being imported contains have resulted in a lot of random symbols. It's interesting though that it is a boolean and not a variable, meaning it has an option of being at HighSpeed or not. I wasn't able to figure out what that dll does with speedFlg later on....anyway if Lenovo can just use a software to change the fan speed to high I don't see why we wouldn't be able to with enough tinkering.

How did you manage to import part of the sourceCode? I think, we shoud try to fix this issue by all means, since lenovo is not whiling to. I think it should be possible at hardware level to remove(slice it in half) the control wire of the cpu fan to make it run at full speed, but that is just a guess. I've been trying to monitor the app using procmon but i have no usefull knowledge in this area, ill post a few imgs to what i narrowed down.

If it were possible to access the full source code and trigger the dust removal call at windows start, and keep calling it over and over, or even better modify the dust removal to keep it non stop, but as you realized, the code must be obfuscated, and even it might be some crypto on it, on which case we should try the hardware mod.

I'm not quite sure if we can replicate the devicelo control call that this apps make to active the full speed behavior, but well im just trying to spit out ideas, so maybe someone really smart is whilling to get its hands on this.

jq38.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hb1n.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Dust Removal is useless as dust removal - I noticed that airflow is coming in the straight direction. Permanent RPM increase "Fan boost" would have been in handy there... Don't understand why the default BIOS is missing the very basic fan option "Quiet/Performance".