Brian

My P870DMG cooling mod:

Added:

Two short heat pipes on master;

Two long heat pipes on slave;

Two short heat pipes on CPU;

Bunch of small heat sinks on top; 

Glued with arctic alumina adhesive; painted black;

CPU delidded and all cores pasted with Grizzly Conductonaut rated 73 W/mk.

Bottom cover cut open, all metal mesh off,  with CM Storm SF19 blowing underneath for max ventilation.

This might look like it's overkill for 970Ms, but mine have very sad mosfets. Before my mod, they weren't even stable with voltage 1.0v during games.

Now I am able to run them all day with 1.062v. My goal was to run them 1400~1500 Mhz all day, but seems no hope to go with voltage higher than 1.062v.

Sometimes I really wish I could upgrade to a pair of 1070s.

IMG_20160929_165833419.jpg

IMG_20160921_233551220.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

22 hours ago, johnksss said:

Decided to go ahead and bench the 6820HK/1070N. It would seem this little beast knocked out all the competition in it's class at the moment. Being BGA and all.

http://hwbot.org/hardware/videocard/geforce_gtx_1070_notebook_mxm/

Nice:thumbsup: Do you have opportunities for some CPU overclocking records for 6820Hk? Or is the processor in your Asus prevented from running at max? http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_i7_6820hk/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@coolane

Maybe mod a Coolermaster U3? http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/best-notebook-coolers-for-18-alienware-laptops.593626/page-46#post-10208973

Edited by Papusan
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Papusan

I thought about the U3. But I am not sure if the U3 will outperform my SF19, since it has 80mm fans and mine has 140mm fans.

I might still wanna try it out because the SF19 is using a lot of space on the desk.

I used to overclock a 6820HK in my sold GT72S, I was able to clock it to 4.3GHz for daily use without throttling in benchmarks and games.

But voltage is way too high than 6700K. I needed 1.3v to stable 4.3GHz and 1.25v to stable 4.2GHz. Though the cooling can handle it.

My highest CPU score with 6820HK:

www3dmarkcom3dm11472433.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, coolane said:

@Papusan

I thought about the U3. But I am not sure if the U3 will outperform my SF19, since it has 80mm fans and mine has 140mm fans.

I might still wanna try it out because the SF19 is using a lot of space on the desk.

I used to overclock a 6820HK in my sold GT72S, I was able to clock it to 4.3GHz for daily use without throttling in benchmarks and games.

But voltage is way too high than 6700K. I needed 1.3v to stable 4.3GHz and 1.25v to stable 4.2GHz. Though the cooling can handle it.

My highest CPU score with 6820HK:

www3dmarkcom3dm11472433.jpg

I meant you could mod the U3 with better 120mm 12v fans, like the one I showed in the link :)

19 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Another round for the baby beast 4790K and single 980M...

QRkGEcY.jpg

oXaTT7K.jpg

tJyck1w.jpg

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11640696

W6w8mHi.jpg

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5522389

nNOzBZZ.jpg

And, a quick peek at the power draw... 369W max according to my UPS... peak CPU 189.4W and 204W peak from the 980M :)

ydcIr3r.jpg

Nice bro Fox. Hotwell is a big power hog, and that little beast El Cazador can handle such loads is amazing :)

Edited by Papusan
  • Thumbs Up 2

37 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Nice bro Fox. Hotwell is a big power hog, and that little beast El Cazador can handle such loads is amazing :)

Yes, it is pretty amazing that it can handle it. All things considered, it is really impressive for such a small laptop. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Nice job @iunlock. Really nice scores. Can you give us a look at 3DMark 11 and 3DMark Vantage?

Thank you.

Ah I was looking for the $20 sale to obtain both of them as I'd love to run those as well. Know where I can find that deal?

ps. How much more do you think I'd be able to gain with Prema Magic on top of those scores?

Edited by iunlock
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, iunlock said:

Thank you.

Ah I was looking for the $20 sale to obtain both of them as I'd love to run those as well. Know where I can find that deal?

ps. How much more do you think I'd be able to gain with Prema Magic on top of those scores?

A quick web search revealed these great buys on Advanced versions of the following benchmarks:

Futuremark Advanced Edition keys can be moved between Steam and stand-alone versions, so no need to run Steam bloatware. Just use the Steam key with the standalone benchmark, which can be downloaded from 3dmark.com

Between @Prema sBIOS and vBIOS I would expect to see an increase of about 2,000 3DMark points, potentially more depending on how much Brother Prema can do to optimize the 1080 vBIOS.

FYI, the legacy benchmarks are also fun, and the keys are free now. More details here: http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/legacy

• 3DMark 06 - Key 3DM06-YKL9-C7R6-73WW-AAPA-VHKW (DX9 Shader Model 3.0)
  • 3DMark 05 - Key C1S0A-2VF80-D6RHW-UWZLU (DX9.0c)
  • 3DMark 03 - Key N4LWE-T6HUX-8U4JB-28YLV (DX9)
  • 3DMark 2001 - Key 7QMF2-TSLJR-ESRDD-L3FJF (DX8)
  • 3DMark 2000 - Key 6VZTY-SDZ75-KA9V7    user: Futuremark (DX7)
  • 3DMark 1999 - Key 78TR2-8DBDU-BMXXS    user: Futuremark (DX6)

Aside from being a lot of fun, these old benchmarks are great ways to see how legacy games that run older DX versions should fare under Windows 10.

6 hours ago, octiceps said:

Thanks @Mr. Fox, did not know that! Those old 3DMark versions will be fun to play around with. I get nostalgic just thinking about them!

The first benchmark I ever ran was 3dm01 on a gf4 ti 4200. One thing that really annoyed me about optimus was how bad is was in 3dm01 (enduro is fine btw). This is why the very first benchmark I ran when I got dGPU output to work was 3dm01.

Edited by Khenglish
  • Thumbs Up 1

From 3DMark 2001 through Fire Strike... watch 'em all here. A full 50 minutes of your life that you'll never get back! 

The difference in realism between 3DMark 05 and 3DMark 06 is truly amazing. I used to think it was silly that those two benchmarks are so similar, but it really gives you a good perspective on how much things improved in DX graphics between those two benchmarks. That really stands out when you see them back-to-back.

I'm gonna try to reach 9000 points :P 

latest_run.png

EDIT:

highest_run.png

I think I'm hitting a limit on the power adaptor (measured 188w pull from the wall, I have a 180w adaptor) and the GPU probably can go further without another bump in voltage.

Well, it was fun, but it's 2:30 AM and I need to go to sleep :P

Thanks @Prema for his lovely BIOS and vBIOS :D

Edited by skandal

6 hours ago, skandal said:

I think I'm hitting a limit on the power adaptor (measured 188w pull from the wall, I have a 180w adaptor) and the GPU probably can go further without another bump in voltage.

I doubt. 188W from the wall would have to be around 96% efficiency for you to actually be hitting a direct limit. It's possible but I don't think so; I suspect you should be able to at least burst-pull 200W from the wall. You could always consider using the 230W brick that's on the pascal P6xxRx models as an upgrade, though. Should have the same connector.

I already bought a Asus ADP-180MB F charger to use as my "on the go" charger (it's lighter and smaller than the original). I'm not planing on spending more money :P

And you are right, probably can pull 200w from the wall without much trouble, will try it today.

Is there a safe voltage maximum for Maxwell cards?

Edited by skandal

Another night at the track and some tuning. Getting a lot of wheel slippage and the engines running too rich...I know I can clock in faster with a higher trap speed in the 1/4...hmmm...in due time...

• Personal PR. (18660)
  • 3rd Overall (GTX1080 Notebook Class).
  • 1st in 775 Class.
  • +11.3 Points for Team T|i

vkg2Rhe.jpg

sUU78NJ.jpg

====================================================================================================================

• Personal PR. (7238)
  • 4rd Overall (GTX1080 Notebook Class).
  • 1st in 775 Class.

tZ4rLPT.jpg

xl1BHLv.jpg

=================================================================

• Personal PR. (X10967)
  • 2rd Overall (GTX1080 Notebook Class).
  • 1st in 775 Class.

Hs436Wo.jpg

pUvUccQ.jpg

=================================================================

• Personal PR. (P21413) Although this was a goofy run as it froze half way through then resumed. Strange...I'll run it again.
  • 3rd Overall (GTX1080 Notebook Class).
  • 1st in 775 Class.

FFBMPOB.jpg

Edited by iunlock
  • Thumbs Up 3

@D2ultima It seems that after pulling 255w (max) from the wall and a 1.2v aplied on my 970M the whole system said enough is enough and started beeping and flashing the led lights all over the place :P

Got a 8500 score, but that was about it. It was fun to push the system to it's limit, but now I'll be back to what I like to do most on laptops. Undervolt and reduce energy consumption without a hit on performance :)

22 hours ago, skandal said:

@D2ultima It seems that after pulling 255w (max) from the wall and a 1.2v aplied on my 970M the whole system said enough is enough and started beeping and flashing the led lights all over the place :P

Got a 8500 score, but that was about it. It was fun to push the system to it's limit, but now I'll be back to what I like to do most on laptops. Undervolt and reduce energy consumption without a hit on performance :)

BE ENTHUSIAST. GET 230W BRICK FROM P670RS. PUSH TO LIMIT WITHOUT BREAKING SYSTEM. OVARCLOOK. BWAHAHAHAHA ETC.