[BENCHMARKS] The OFFICIAL Thread

Brian

2 hours ago, Khenglish said:

So I name my card 980(m?). I got 1.2V to run. Here's 1466/6960 3dm11:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11427346

And firestrike same clocks:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13442500

Awesome! :)

You are playing in a league of your own brother...it's neither a 980(N), Desktop 980, 980M nor M5500, so maybe call it the '980K' (aka Khenglish). :D

6 hours ago, Khenglish said:

So I name my card 980(m?). I got 1.2V to run. Here's 1466/6960 3dm11:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11427346

And firestrike same clocks:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13442500

Post your hardware ID and screen shot link here and they will add it to the database. You will need to tell them it is a GeForce GTX 980 (notebook), but I do not recommend any mention that it is a one of a kind mod. It usually takes about a week, depending on when you post. I've had a couple of times it was done the next day. The benchmarks you have already uploaded with be fixed as well, and won't be called Generic VGA any more.

2 hours ago, johnksss said:

Actually, it becomes a 980N. Just not the factory one with dual power inputs. :D

M5500, 980N, 980, all are full GM204, but the 980M MXM boards memory chips configuration would't match any of them...

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

Post your hardware ID and screen shot link here and they will add it to the database. You will need to tell them it is a GeForce GTX 980 (notebook), but I do not recommend any mention that it is a one of a kind mod. It usually takes about a week, depending on when you post. I've had a couple of times it was done the next day. The benchmarks you have already uploaded with be fixed as well, and won't be called Generic VGA any more.

The thing is it is the desktop 980 hardware ID. I think what's throwing futuremark is the 8GB of memory. The Desktop 980 only ever had 4GB, with no 8GB models. I think Nvidia did that to encourage more people to buy the 980 Ti

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Khenglish said:

The thing is it is the desktop 980 hardware ID. I think what's throwing futuremark is the 8GB of memory. The Desktop 980 only ever had 4GB, with no 8GB models. I think Nvidia did that to encourage more people to buy the 980 Ti

Might be, but I bet Futuremark will still add the hardware ID to their database. They probably won't even ask any questions. I've never seen them question anyone about the hardware ID. If you post a screen shot of one of your benchmark runs and tell them it is a "980M (Notebook MXM)" and provide the hardware ID that should be all it takes to fix the GenericVGA thing.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9447560 10116points and http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13501155 3553points. Had some more time to test and this is the best i got from my system. +222 on core, +384 on memory, +62,5mV. Temps 78C max on CPU and 68C max on GPU on room temperature and stock CPU and vents. 

Edited by JDF

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9496804 and  http://www.3dmark.com/spy/146998 managed to get few more points, by oc'ing memory some more. But this is it. Going more crashes the benchmark. +222 core +575 memory +62,5mV. Wondering if i can go up on voltage, but i dont know... temps are stable 78-79 on cpu and 68 on gpu max. Repasting didnt help much.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, JDF said:

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9496804 and  http://www.3dmark.com/spy/146998 managed to get few more points, by oc'ing memory some more. But this is it. Going more crashes the benchmark. +222 core +575 memory +62,5mV. Wondering if i can go up on voltage, but i dont know... temps are stable 78-79 on cpu and 68 on gpu max. Repasting didnt help much.

That's a pretty good oc for this amount on voltage. How's your ASIC? You can easily up the voltage till +100mv without Problems and try raising the core in 25Mhz increments. Hold the mem oc (+575). As soon as it gets instable, dial back with 50Mhz and go up in 5Mhz increments afterwards till it gets no further. You can still decide, if you want to up the voltage further.

When you have found your sweet spot for the core oc, you can play with your core and mem oc, till you have found the optimum between these two values. Though you benefit more of the core oc when it Comes to chasing numbers! :encouragement:

Edit: What TIM are you using? You should at least use IC Diamond or, if your heatsink makes proper contact, you can consider using Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra instead and, if not already done, swap out your Thermal Pads with at least Phobya 7W/mk.

Edited by CaerCadarn

6 hours ago, CaerCadarn said:

That's a pretty good oc for this amount on voltage. How's your ASIC? You can easily up the voltage till +100mv without Problems and try raising the core in 25Mhz increments. Hold the mem oc (+575). As soon as it gets instable, dial back with 50Mhz and go up in 5Mhz increments afterwards till it gets no further. You can still decide, if you want to up the voltage further.

When you have found your sweet spot for the core oc, you can play with your core and mem oc, till you have found the optimum between these two values. Though you benefit more of the core oc when it Comes to chasing numbers! :encouragement:

Edit: What TIM are you using? You should at least use IC Diamond or, if your heatsink makes proper contact, you can consider using Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra instead and, if not already done, swap out your Thermal Pads with at least Phobya 7W/mk.

ASIC is 66,1% and yes im using IC Diamond 7, but same old pads that came with it. 

I have a question for Mr.Fox: You are using AC when testing right? Or how did you get 30C on CPU and 15C on GPU, what magic is this... 

4 hours ago, JDF said:

ASIC is 66,1% and yes im using IC Diamond 7, but same old pads that came with it. 

I have a question for Mr.Fox: You are using AC when testing right? Or how did you get 30C on CPU and 15C on GPU, what magic is this... 

Yes, absolutely. Any serious overclocked benching is done with AC cooling. Extreme overclocking without it can kill GPUs... you can literally cook them to death. The benefits of AC cooling for overclocked benching was one of the first lessons I learned from Brother @johnksss back in the M17xR2 and M18xR1 days.

Playing games and other stuff besides benching, I always run GPUs stock. I don't really see much benefit from overclocking for gaming. If you need to overclock the GPU(s) for a good gaming experience, it's time to upgrade to stronger GPU(s).

I got the 980(m?) to run the core at 1502 at 1.2V and broke 21k gpu score:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11445450

With a little more modding I should be able to get over 1510 on the core. The last mod for that is fairly involved and makes some of the backside memory chips irreplaceable though.

I tried running with the CPU overvolted, but that little extra power draw was causing the motherboard to cut AC power. I had one run with over 12k physics at 4.6ghz cpu, 2093 MHz memory, but the power was cut during a GPU test so the GPU score was only 20200.

My memory clocks are killing my firestrike scores. This thing cannot consistently do 7GHz. I have an idea to try to figure out which of my memory chips are the weaker ones. Then I can selectively replace those instead of all 15 6GHz chips that are on the card. I'd be happy with 7.2ghz, but 6.9ghz makes me sad.

Edited by Khenglish
  • Thumbs Up 2

This is hwinfo64 info about the 3dm11 run. I had a high speed fan blowing on the card with the back of the laptop off, so that's why temps only reached 63C. I could run the laptop normally and stay under 90C in the time it takes 3dm11 to run, but that would pull too much power and cause AC to cut out. Note the 267.5W power draw.

1502_6920_3dm11.png

Edited by Khenglish
  • Thumbs Up 2

@Mr. Fox

Glad to see the memory finally working right. So is it like jonksss's situation where it only overclocks correctly in win10?

Also how high could you overclock the memory on the card I put the 980 core on prior to it losing the power phase?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Khenglish said:

@Mr. Fox

Glad to see the memory finally working right. So is it like jonksss's situation where it only overclocks correctly in win10?

Also how high could you overclock the memory on the card I put the 980 core on prior to it losing the power phase?

Good morning. Before 1500 was the limit and just barely stable enough. 1475 was stable for everything under the sun, but that extra 25 was a big obstacle.

I have not tried going beyond 1800 yet. I was on a roll and wanted to capture those benchmarks while I could. I've run out of core voltage and cannot go any higher on core, so I will bug @Prema for a 1.300V version of what he gave me once I have another 980M available. I'm eager to see how a matching one will perform in SLI.

1 hour ago, Khenglish said:

@Mr. Fox

I got past that. Card works on all oses now. :) It was user error.

57 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Good morning. Before 1500 was the limit and just barely stable enough. 1475 was stable for everything under the sun, but that extra 25 was a big obstacle.

I have not tried going beyond 1800 yet. I was on a roll and wanted to capture those benchmarks while I could. I've run out of core voltage and cannot go any higher on core, so I will bug @Prema for a 1.300V version of what he gave me once I have another 980M available. I'm eager to see how a matching one will perform in SLI.

Do you actually get a performance benefit for vBIOS over 1.2V? I always got best performance on a 1.2V vBIOS. The extra clocks from over 1.2V did not compensate for the bizarre throttling that occurs and increases as you pass 1.1V. The 980m also compensates for vDroop very poorly, adding too much voltage at lower voltage vBIOS, and too little for higher voltage vBIOS (with the 1.225V or 1.25V vBIOS being the most correct). This is why the 1.2V vBIOS draws more power than the 1.25V vBIOS you were using, despite the higher nominal voltage and clocks when running 1.25V.

The M5500 vBIOS base that Prema gave me seems to have the incorrect vDroop issue fixed, but I think I am still getting the ~2% throttle than is seen on the 1.2V vBIOS.

And I realized that I mixed up which card is which. So the card I am using now did 1475MHz memory prior to any mods , and the one you are using now did 1450MHz memory? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to figure out why I currently struggle to get just 7GHz.

Edited by Khenglish