Radeon HD 7990 "the Beast"

agadaemon

To all the Nvidia Fan boys out there

"imma leave this here... let it soak in"

30% better than the Titan

Report: Final AMD Radeon HD 7990 Specifications

Radeon HD 7990 Dual GPU - Graphic solutions GeForce & Radeon

you guys do the math and come back to me.

they used a dual 7990 to do the teaser for bf4 12gig DDR5, "Nvidia come at me bro"

• Founder

Are you serious? It's a dual GPU card vs single GPU Titan. Get back to me when it can beat SLI Titans which is 2 vs 2. Yawn. Oh and have fun with AMD's broken crossfire drivers..stttuutteer.

hmmm i smell another nvidia fan boy here hahaha

okay valid points aside just for a moment...

lets talk price im am pretty sure this card even with its almighty components will still be cheaper than one titan? (when its released)

what are your thoughts on the "ching-ching" $$ as i am currently using nvidia in one of my pc's and im looking to go radeon way

• Founder
hmmm i smell another nvidia fan boy here hahaha

okay valid points aside just for a moment...

lets talk price im am pretty sure this card even with its almighty components will still be cheaper than one titan? (when its released)

what are your thoughts on the "ching-ching" $$ as i am currently using nvidia in one of my pc's and im looking to go radeon way

Well I'm a fan of solid drivers, smooth multi-gpu experience and top notch hardware and since nvidia excels in all those criteria, I guess I am a fanboy :D The 7990 is just AMD's fail attempt to do something about Titan but it can't. It's still a dual GPU card even if the price is similar. It's direct competition is GTX 690, not the Titan. Because a 7990 vs Titan SLI, AMD gets its ass handed to it.

• Founder

That's not a review. You should read up and become informed before announcing AMD's supposed win. Here's a proper review: AMD Radeon HD 7990 6GB Review - Malta Gets Frame Rated | PC Perspective

And here's some nice snippets for you:

it just unfortunate that the HD 7990 depends so heavily on CrossFire, a technology that still has problems with frame pacing and our Frame Rating performance testing.

Even Far Cry 3 at 1920x1080 is a better experience on the HD 7990 than the GTX 690, but at 2560x1440 that just isn't the case. For products in this market segment, we will always assume users are running 25x16/25x14 monitors or plan to very shortly.

the HD 7990 has different but equally traumatic problems. In our testing, nearly every other frame generated by all of our games tested are dropped and never shown to the gamer, resulting in frame rates at about half of what they should be and half of what is being reported by some other testing methods. That's just not acceptable.

So how does it compare to the GTX 690 or the GTX Titan? Honestly if you are going to spend $999 on a graphics cards you should really be deciding between the GTX 690 and the GTX Titan. I would go the route of the Titan and its single GPU + 6GB frame buffer for multi-monitor setups and the GTX 690 for single, high resolution monitor users.

With its performance completely dependent on CrossFire technology, the HD 7990 as a $1000 graphics card has a very hard time justifying its price. With our early testing of the Catalyst prototype driver showing positive results though, there is yet hope for CrossFire to be fixed in this generation, at least for single monitor users! But until that driver is perfected, is bug free and is presented to buyers as a made-for-primetime solution, I just cannot recommend an investment this large on the Radeon HD 7990.

Here's another good one: http://hardocp.com/article/2013/04/24/amd_radeon_hd_7990_video_card_review/9#.UXhtvrXvuaU

And a great quote:

Who's the Stutterer?

Quite simply, AMD CrossFire is the stutterer in the room. We have talked about this issue in every CrossFire versus SLI evaluation we have published for years now. We are pleased to say it felt like stuttering has been lessened a bit with AMD CrossFire. However, it is still very much a reality with Catalyst 13.5 Beta2 on Radeon HD 7990 and 7970 GHz Edition CrossFire. First of all, we experienced no difference in stuttering between the single-card Radeon HD 7990 and two-card Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition CrossFire. The amount of stutter or inconsistency felt the same between both configurations while gaming. The fact that two-GPUs are hardwired on a single PCB didn't reduce the stuttering as some might have thought. We feel that driver improvements are slowly getting there. This new driver so far as the "best" experience we've had yet in regards to stuttering.

We did feel a smoothness difference between AMD CrossFire versus NVIDIA SLI. Let me describe a moment I had while gaming on GeForce GTX 680 SLI in Crysis 3 during this evaluation. I had begun my apples-to-apples testing first with the GeForce GTX 680 SLI in Crysis 3 and was running at 5760x1200 with very high settings and SMAA 1X in the game. I started the run-through, and as I was playing through the entire level of "Safeties Off" I was borderline calling it playable at that setting. I didn't know the FPS, as when I'm recording with FRAPS the FPS is not displayed. (We do this purposefully.) Therefore, all I could feel was the game itself and I wasn't burdened with thinking in FPS at all. It was a fluid and immersive gaming experience. The game to me felt like it was playing at 40-50 FPS. Finishing up the run-through I stopped FRAPS and it read an average of 33 FPS.

I was in awe. It felt smooth, really smooth, it felt like it was running at a faster framerate than it really was. If not for some minor lag throughout the run-through, I would have called that very high setting playable based on the experience alone, without looking at the framerate. It was a shock to see the framerate so low, I really thought it was higher as I was playing. This kind of smoothness we often experience with NVIDIA SLI. This cannot be said for AMD CrossFire. It stuttered badly at very high settings and you knew, you could feel it that it wasn't playable as it negatively affected the overall gameplay and immersion. While this is a broad statement, it stands up fairly well even though there are differences using different game engines: It takes higher framerates to get a smoother experience with CrossFire than with SLI.

So much for it "dominating" the 690..laugh. The only thing AMD dominates NVIDIA in is stuttteeerr.

Just get an Ares II and you don't have to worry about either of those cards ;) Nah I'm a fan of both Nvidia and ATI. Both have their ups and downs, as far as out of box sheer performance and driver stability I'd go with Nvidia. But as far as over clocking, price to performance, and the fact that ATI can manipulate their drivers so much that it increases performance down the road pretty extensively, makes them an also viable choice. Yes Nvidia's titan is a beast card, but for $500 more I can get an Ares II which is pre-liquid cooled and disputably the best enthusiast card out atm.

• Founder
Just get an Ares II and you don't have to worry about either of those cards ;) Nah I'm a fan of both Nvidia and ATI. Both have their ups and downs, as far as out of box sheer performance and driver stability I'd go with Nvidia. But as far as over clocking, price to performance, and the fact that ATI can manipulate their drivers so much that it increases performance down the road pretty extensively, makes them an also viable choice. Yes Nvidia's titan is a beast card, but for $500 more I can get an Ares II which is pre-liquid cooled and disputably the best enthusiast card out atm.

AMD is not a viable choice for multi GPU, its broken. Until they have a true hardware solution (not this generation) then I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. nVidia is the clear winner and no amount of price can fix that for AMD, broken is broken.

Well back in the day I had two 5770's crossfired on just any normal motherboard and it performed just fine. No stuttering and/or frame loss/pickup in the 2 years I had them. Finally just got rid of them for a 7950 Flashed to a 7970 BIOS. Personally the money I can save with AMD's overclocking abilities and the fact that I haven't had a single problem with them yet is what keeps them as a viable choice in my head, but hey, trying to convince someone otherwise on an opinion and experience based subject never really got anyone far. I use both ATI and Nvidia, I love both, and I love the competition. Driver issues I've had only came from unstable overclocks and higher temps. So from my standpoint I haven't had a problem and probably won't for years to come.

• 3 weeks later...
AMD is not a viable choice for multi GPU, its broken. Until they have a true hardware solution (not this generation) then I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. nVidia is the clear winner and no amount of price can fix that for AMD, broken is broken.
This is not true AMD has been putting up solid updates for there cards lately and the multi-gpu scaling is better with the 7000 series cards than the nvidia gtx 600 series cards not only in games but in benchmarks as well.

• Founder
This is not true AMD has been putting up solid updates for there cards lately and the multi-gpu scaling is better with the 7000 series cards than the nvidia gtx 600 series cards not only in games but in benchmarks as well.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Far Cry 3 Frame Rating Comparison - HD 7950 CrossFire vs GTX 660 Ti SLI

Sleeping Dogs Frame Rating Comparison - HD 7950 CrossFire vs GTX 660 Ti SLI

Battlefield 3 Frame Rating Comparison - HD 7950 CrossFire vs GTX 660 Ti SLI

• 3 months later...

As AMD intends to carry the existing Southern Islands family forward into 2013, their strategy for the mid-to-low end of the desktop market has become one of filling in that gap. This is a move made particularly important for AMD due to the fact that NVIDIA’s GK106-powered GeForce GTX 650 Ti sits rather comfortably between AMD’s 7770 and 7850 in price and performance, robbing AMD of that market segment. Bonaire in turn will fill that gap, and the 7790 will be the flagship desktop Bonaire video card.

• 2 months later...

I own two 7990... Asus R4E, i7-3930k 4.2GHz, 32Gbytes 1866MHz quad channel (4x8). The first problem I had with them was that I needed to organize the power connections to the PSU, you can not randomly stick them in any port... I tried 1 w/o crossfire and I just fell in love, who cares what other GPUs exist if I have this beast. Turned on crossfire, at first it was not perfect... but after a driver update, all GPU cores scale nicely. For some games I just turn off CF, obviously that much power is not needed. The highest I could get them to in a game was with extremely modded skyrim which used 66% on all cores.

They are water cooled with EK full cover blocks, two pumps in the rig and a thick 480mm with push and pull for each card and an 240mm for the processor.

I am an amateur, and how and for what reason I have these beasts is non of your business.

But, I want to say that they were worth the money with the game bundle as a bonus.