Does anyone know that y400/y500 Ultrabay GPU how connected to the motherboard?

bkkeylbao

Currently I know the method of connecting a desktop graphics that is only connected to the minipci-e on the motherboard, but only PCI-E 2.0 1X be able to achieve. If we can use Ultrabay that connect to the desktop graphics, PCI-E 2.0 8X will be able to achieve. In this case,the performance of external graphics will get better. Does anyone know that the interface is it?

post-12300-14494994996078_thumb.jpg

Now somebody successfully use minipci-e that connected to the GTX670, its performance is quite satisfactory, as shown below:

post-12300-14494994996328_thumb.jpg

I don’t know whether my expression is obvious,I hope that everybody can understand.

post-12300-14494994996175_thumb.jpg

That picture is from my thread right? http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/3310-pictures-disassembled-y500-ultrabay-gpu.html

The slot looks like mini-PCIe with metal brackets on both ends. Do you own the machine? Maybe you could try an eGPU setup and tell us how it works. I've got no time and money to invest in something like that. I'm perfectly happy with the gaming performance of GT 650M SLI right now.

That picture is from my thread right? http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/3310-pictures-disassembled-y500-ultrabay-gpu.html

The slot looks like mini-PCIe with metal brackets on both ends. Do you own the machine? Maybe you could try an eGPU setup and tell us how it works. I've got no time and money to invest in something like that. I'm perfectly happy with the gaming performance of GT 650M SLI right now.

Actually this picture is from your post, I am so sorry that I quoted it before I don’t get you permission. I just want users to see the Ultrabay obviously. Next two pictures are that the performance show through miniPCI-e connected GTX670 and setting egpu. The key is that I don’t know how to use Ultrabay that connect to the desktop graphics?:48_002:

Actually this picture is from your post, I am so sorry that I quoted it before I don’t get you permission. I just want users to see the Ultrabay obviously. Next two pictures are that the performance show through miniPCI-e connected GTX670 and setting egpu. The key is that I don’t know how to use Ultrabay that connect to the desktop graphics?:48_002:

It's alright I thought the picture looked familiar. :)

You would need to get a mPCIe to PCIe adapter, desktop video card, and PSU. Please refer to this thread for information regarding eGPU setups:

DIY eGPU experiences

That connector has many more pins than a mPCI-E connector. It just happens to have the break in a similar spot to make it look like one.

It would be suicidal to rely on only an x1 link for SLI like that since the ultrabay GPU would need to send its framebuffer and other synchronization data over PCI-E to the internal card. Adding PCI-E links only requires 4 signals each. The reason PCI-E x16 has so many lines is mainly for power and the motherboard not knowing the capabilities of the card that is being plugged in (an x4 card must work in an x16 slot), but when you know what exactly is going to be plugged in, you can cut out a lot of lines.

I am guessing that the ultrabay GPU is x8 PCI-E 2.0. Possibly x4 3.0, but I doubt lenovo made a good enough connector for 3.0. You can check if it is or not in GPU-z. Just make sure you do the little render test to make sure the link is fully engaged.

As for hooking up an eGPU to the slot, you can't without an enormous amount of work and resources. SLI requires 1 card to be a master, and others to be slaves. The BIOS will likely be set up to always treat this slot as a slave. And that is the least of your problems. The main problem would be to somehow design and manufacture your own custom PCB to plug into that slot and wired to a full size PCI-E slot. It takes very good connections to transmit PCI-E 2.0, let alone 3.0.

You're basically making your own PE4H but without the cables and without any documentation on the pinout of the motherboard connector.

That connector has many more pins than a mPCI-E connector. It just happens to have the break in a similar spot to make it look like one.

It would be suicidal to rely on only an x1 link for SLI like that since the ultrabay GPU would need to send its framebuffer and other synchronization data over PCI-E to the internal card. Adding PCI-E links only requires 4 signals each. The reason PCI-E x16 has so many lines is mainly for power and the motherboard not knowing the capabilities of the card that is being plugged in (an x4 card must work in an x16 slot), but when you know what exactly is going to be plugged in, you can cut out a lot of lines.

I am guessing that the ultrabay GPU is x8 PCI-E 2.0. Possibly x4 3.0, but I doubt lenovo made a good enough connector for 3.0. You can check if it is or not in GPU-z. Just make sure you do the little render test to make sure the link is fully engaged.

As for hooking up an eGPU to the slot, you can't without an enormous amount of work and resources. SLI requires 1 card to be a master, and others to be slaves. The BIOS will likely be set up to always treat this slot as a slave. And that is the least of your problems. The main problem would be to somehow design and manufacture your own custom PCB to plug into that slot and wired to a full size PCI-E slot. It takes very good connections to transmit PCI-E 2.0, let alone 3.0.

You're basically making your own PE4H but without the cables and without any documentation on the pinout of the motherboard connector.

Thanks for the very informative post. I'd forgotten that mPCIe only goes as high as PCIe 2.0 x1. Being pretty recessed it was kind of hard to make out what kind of slot it was but it sure looked like mPCIe on the surface. But what do I know; I never would've seen the difference in pins.

Yes the Ultrabay is PCIe 2.0 x8. So you're saying that the Lenovo actually implemented a proprietary slot which is essentially a full-sized PCIe x16 with lines removed to make it x8?

Thanks for the very informative post. I'd forgotten that mPCIe only goes as high as PCIe 2.0 x1. Being pretty recessed it was kind of hard to make out what kind of slot it was but it sure looked like mPCIe on the surface. But what do I know; I never would've seen the difference in pins.

Yes the Ultrabay is PCIe 2.0 x8. So you're saying that the Lenovo actually implemented a proprietary slot which is essentially a full-sized PCIe x16 with lines removed to make it x8?

Yeah it looks like it's just a proprietary x8 connector.

On a side note the mPCI-E connector was originally designed for x2 and it has enough pins for it, but x2 mPCI-E never materialized. The only devices that need more bandwidth than 1GB/s (PCI-E 2.0 x1) are graphics cards.

I guess Lenovo had put some whitelist restrictions on what devices can be used on the Ultrabay port, for example, the new Y500 with 750m graphics card cannot use the older 650m ultrabay card.

That might be a vbios issue. I think it should be possible with a modified vbios on the ultra bay card, or in the bios.

That might be a vbios issue. I think it should be possible with a modified vbios on the ultra bay card, or in the bios.

Hey @svl7, would this still be possible if say, the GT 750M used a different GPU core such as GK106 or GK208 rather than GK107 like the 650M? I have read from AnandTech that the 750M could be GK106 and GK208 in addition to GK107. In fact, the chip shot they received from Nvidia showed the GT 750M to be using a "floor sweeper" GK106 chip with too many dysfunctional cores.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey @svl7, would this still be possible if say, the GT 750M used a different GPU core such as GK106 or GK208 rather than GK107 like the 650M? I have read from AnandTech that the 750M could be GK106 and GK208 in addition to GK107. In fact, the chip shot they received from Nvidia showed the GT 750M to be using a "floor sweeper" GK106 chip with too many dysfunctional cores.

The integrated GPU on my Y400 with GT750m is reporting PCIe 3.0 8x per GPUz. Octiceps is your integrated GT650m 3.0 pcie or ultrabay 2.0 pcie? Just curious about what my ultrabay might be.

Also assuming there is not whitelist for the ultrabay the thing I was curious about but don't want to put the money down to experiment is if the gpu's could be separated instead of SLI use one for GPU and one for PhysX. Like for example I have Y400 with GT750m, if I bought a GT650 could I use it as PhysX? Or in the case of Octiceps if he bought the GT750M ultra bay (which just went on sale on Lenovo's site for the Y500) could he do a similar configuration?

Headsets, Speakers & Graphics Cards | Lenovo | (US)

Honestly I don't think I would go down that road even if I had the money because if the Y500 ultra bay GT750m came out for sale the Y400 version can't be more then a couple months behind (Pessimistically speaking, I hope much sooner then a couple months).

The integrated GPU on my Y400 with GT750m is reporting PCIe 3.0 8x per GPUz. Octiceps is your integrated GT650m 3.0 pcie or ultrabay 2.0 pcie? Just curious about what my ultrabay might be.

Also assuming there is not whitelist for the ultrabay the thing I was curious about but don't want to put the money down to experiment is if the gpu's could be separated instead of SLI use one for GPU and one for PhysX. Like for example I have Y400 with GT750m, if I bought a GT650 could I use it as PhysX? Or in the case of Octiceps if he bought the GT750M ultra bay (which just went on sale on Lenovo's site for the Y500) could he do a similar configuration?

Headsets, Speakers & Graphics Cards | Lenovo | (US)

Honestly I don't think I would go down that road even if I had the money because if the Y500 ultra bay GT750m came out for sale the Y400 version can't be more then a couple months behind (Pessimistically speaking, I hope much sooner then a couple months).

Never mind I read your post about what your ultrabay was (misread it the first time through). 2.0 pcie 8x ultrabay. Most desktop boards (not counting enthusiast/server classed boards and chipsets) negotiate down to 8 lanes x 8 lines per slot electronically so being pcie 8x on both isn't too abnormal of a configuration.

• 2 months later...

A complicated job to reverse the Lenovo connector, but I assume if someone succeeds this would be the ultimate gaming laptop for the Y510 which features also the Intel HD graphic card.