chuckbass

Settings:

Secure Boot = OFF

Fast Boot = OFF

UEFI/Legacy = UEFI

I tried adding nomodeset and removing quiet splash but no luck

Has anyone able to install Ubuntu?

Fedora doesnt boot at all :(

I could of course set BIOS Mode to Legacy, then I am sure it would work, but it seems so stupid to do so since the future is UEFI.

Can someone help me on this ?

You need to set it to Legacy and then change the priority from UEFI to Legacy as well. You also need to change the optimization from Win 8 64 to Other OS.

Ok thank you.

I see in the commandline things about nouveau driver and duplicate VGA device.

My disks are formatted in GPT. Will I have to revert to MBR to boot in legacy as well? Or does legacy boot work fine with GPT ?

These are the steps I took now and it's working:

1. Boot into setup (F2).

2. Make sure these are the BIOS settings:

Secure Boot = OFF
BIOS Mode = Legacy
Boot Order = UEFI First (for Windows) / Legacy First (For Linux/Ubuntu)

3. Now hit F10 to save and exit.

4. Use Universal USB installer to write Windows 8 to a Bootable USB Drive

5. Boot the computer and press F12 to have the boot menu showing up.

6. Select EFI USB or something similar whatever the device is you want to install from, as long as it begins with EFI you are good to go.

7. Just install Windows 8, leave enough space for Ubuntu

8. Now use Universal USB Installer to write Ubuntu 12.10 to a Bootable USB Drive.

9. Boot the computer and press F12 to have the boot menu showing up.

10. Select Legacy USB / AHCI USB / BIOS USB whatever shows up for your device, as long as it's not beginning with EFI.

11. Now in the Ubuntu Installer make sure to create partitions manually, mine where:

PARTITION 1: used by windows

PARTITION 2: used by windows

PARTITION 3: used by windows

PARTITION 4: WINDOWS

PARTITION 5: BIOS Reserved (350MB)

PARTITION 6: /boot (500MB)

PARTITION 7: / (200GB)

PARTITION 8: swap (4GB)

create partitions from 5-8.

When done you press F12 at boot to select your OS you want to boot. If you do nothing, depending on the boot order you selected either Ubuntu or Windows 8 will boot first. The great thing about this is you don't have to mess with bootloaders or worry about losing the other operating system when reinstalling Ubuntu or Windows 8.

Thanks Usraek for helping me! I hope I helped some with my workaround solution. I am really not that techy.

• Thumbs Up 3

These are the steps I took now and it's working:

Thanks Usraek for helping me! I hope I helped some with my workaround solution. I am really not that techy.

Thanks so much for this! I had been trying to get ubuntu to boot for two days without luck. I followed these instructions and was able to at least get Ubuntu studio to run from the live CD but I was not able to get it to actually install to the hard disk yet. I was also able to get fedora to run from the live cd but unable to install directly either. I am sure it is something simple I am overlooking.

• 5 months later...