Worth upgrade a i7 2760qm to a i7 2920xm?

EMC

I have a Clevo P150HM with a 1.05V 680M (1030/5200). Is the i7 2760qm the bottleneck of my sistem?

i dont think so, well the upgrade is worth it! and i am sure with the 680 it will be even faster combination but it depends what you are doing with your notebook.

I had the 2670qm and i ugraded to the 2960xm i can tell you it helped alot! and i had only a 675M

Yes your current CPU will be holding you back in some games like BF3. You'd need to be able to overclock the 2920xm for it to be a significant improvement. I don't know if XTU will let you overclock or not even if you flash on a 170HM BIOS, so it may be necessary to set overclocks by flashing the BIOS for each multiplier change (which I have done with my P150EM).

Another problem is the 150HM cooling unmodified won't be able to handle a 2920xm at any higher than stock. You will get headroom though if you lap the CPU heatsink to get rid of the bends clevo put into it during manufacturing, but it won't be much room since the 150HM has an aluminum CPU radiator (I paid extra for copper).

And the final problem will be power. I'm surprised that you're not getting PSU shutdowns already with your 180W PSU. I have a 240W and it shuts down on me with the 680m under load and the CPU pulling 75+ watts. If I use the 180W the PSU will cut out with any overclocking at all.

So it's up to you. You can get significant gains with an xm CPU, but it will be a lot more complicated than just getting a new CPU.

Actually my laptop had a 120W PSU. I mod a old 180W HP PSU in order to upgrade my GPU (560M to 680M).

I'll buy a dell 240W or 330W PSU for it. I'm designing a big mod for the cooling sistem. I don't think

it will be a issue. I'm from Brazil and I was just thinking if it will worth the $400.

I'm playing Crysis 3 and I saw 100% CPU usage many times.

You can give a idea of how much improvement I will get with this upgrade?

Worth a memory upgrade from 1333mhz to 1866mhz?

Actually my laptop had a 120W PSU. I mod a old 180W HP PSU in order to upgrade my GPU (560M to 680M).

I'll buy a dell 240W or 330W PSU for it. I'm designing a big mod for the cooling sistem. I don't think

it will be a issue. I'm from Brazil and I was just thinking if it will worth the $400.

I'm playing Crysis 3 and I saw 100% CPU usage many times.

You can give a idea of how much improvement I will get with this upgrade?

Worth a memory upgrade from 1333mhz to 1866mhz?

The memory speed increase will help. Your current memory can likely run much faster though if you force it with XTU or flash it with thaiphoon burner.

As for CPU I will occasionally get VRM temperature throttling in BF3. When it cuts from 4.3GHz to 2.4GHz my fps will sometimes drop from the low 60s to the high 30s, so CPU speed matters.

FPS drop may be due to instabilities in the system. In your case it may be because of the CPU throttling.

If you set the clock to something lower, then you probably will get a more constant performance.

You have mod your cooling system?

FPS drop may be due to instabilities in the system. In your case it may be because of the CPU throttling.

If you set the clock to something lower, then you probably will get a more constant performance.

You have mod your cooling system?

It has to do with the VRM and MOSFETs overheating. I replaced the MOSFET cooling pad with a copper shim and it lets me sustain another 10 watts or so. The system will toggle turbo on and off if I run over 75W for too long. Before the shim turbo would disable in the low 60W range. This will occur with the CPU temp in the upper 80s. The shim made a direct impact with no improvement in CPU temps so it is definitely voltage regulation related.

• 2 months later...

I've installed a i7 2920xm ES and I'm trying to overclock it.

Even using Prema Bios mod P170HM 80w/90w 32s

I can only reach 3.3Ghz on turbo and 3Ghz under usage.

My physics score is about 7200 at this time.

I did the BIOS flash and then I change multipliers inside XTU and use

Throttlestop.

Is my card faulty or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I've installed a i7 2920xm ES and I'm trying to overclock it.

Even using Prema Bios mod P170HM 80w/90w 32s

I can only reach 3.3Ghz on turbo and 3Ghz under usage.

My physics score is about 7200 at this time.

I did the BIOS flash and then I change multipliers inside XTU and use

Throttlestop.

Is my card faulty or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

What revision is the ES? With my stepping 5 I need to flash specific multipliers in the BIOS to overclock.

• 7 months later...
According to cpuz...[ATTACH=CONFIG]7936[/ATTACH]

- - - Updated - - -

Could you help me to overclock it?

What revision is the ES? With my stepping 5 I need to flash specific multipliers in the BIOS to overclock.
@Khenglish @EMC

I just got the same Processor Rev with EMC. (got it from eBay very cheap)

I'm unable to overclock it over the stock clock. When turbo, it stays on 3,4 GHz max (but CPU-z says multiplier 8-40 like the way i set it on XTU)

What specific mutiplier you flash Khenglish?

I have P150EM with Prema Mod BIOS.

Cheers

@Khenglish @EMC

I just got the same Processor Rev with EMC. (got it from eBay very cheap)

I'm unable to overclock it over the stock clock. When turbo, it stays on 3,4 GHz max (but CPU-z says multiplier 8-40 like the way i set it on XTU)

What specific mutiplier you flash Khenglish?

I have P150EM with Prema Mod BIOS.

Cheers

I made a special Mod version for Khenglish which uses a very specific CPU microcode to be able to overclock this particular CPU...PM him about it. ;)

I made a special Mod version for Khenglish which uses a very specific CPU microcode to be able to overclock this particular CPU...PM him about it. ;)

Too bad his PM is full.

I hope @Khenglish will see this thread later on.

But as always thank you brother @Prema.

Always love your work esp the BIOS Mod.

Cheers

The CPU will overclock without prema's mod. the problem is that it does not load microcode updates, which makes the temperature sensors unreliable and reduces performance in some cases. The version prema wrote for me fixed this.

Unfortunately the only way to overclock is through BCLK and by hard setting multipliers through BIOS flashes. I will try to find the BIOS version prema sent me for when I had the ES CPU. If I find it I will send it to you with x41 set as the CPU speed. You can then set higher with BCLK and I can set the multiplier of whatever your top overclock is. If I can't find it then I can send you an overclocked BIOS anyway, just your temp sensors and x87 performance will be messed up.

UPDATE

I think this is it. I set x41:

https://mega.co.nz/#!KJpGASxb!DrNix_UbO5TQgO11bGh6n6OHuk9vdeG4FdLz-D8m1GI

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it makes a lot of difference on quite a few games, I got 10-20 fps increases on games like Mirrors Edge Catalyst, Mafia III, Far Cry Primal, this meant that I could put the settings to ultra using my overclocked 7970m without any stuttering or fps loss. It might be an expensive processor but if you get it, it is definitely worth the money. Just make sure your temps stay below 85c otherwise you will not be able to turbo boost (experience from putting in a 2920xm in a GT780DXR).

• 1 month later...

I am thinking of buying a 2960xm as well, wasn't sure about gains with no overclock against a 2670QM but it looks like some folks here confirm it is worth the money. What is a good price for one?

Sent from my SM-N9100 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
According to cpuz...post-10818-14494995554666_thumb.png

- - - Updated - - -

Could you help me to overclock it?

i have a M17xR4 with 2860QM, i hardly tell the difference of +-0.4ghz. my CPU temperature goes up to 80 with turbo

for games, you need to upgrade the GPU.

Thats true , with dx12 and Vulkan old i7 got second life but GPUs do hard bottleneck....ill try next week Exp Gdc beast with my i7 2760qm vs desktop xeon with few cards.