Enya

Question

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

how big power suppy do i need for an SLI notebook? 220W is enough?

Sure you're not just trying to get 5 posts?! If you are, then I guess I'm helping you out, given that you could reply to me! (for those that don't know - 5 posts = able to download!)

Would anyone recommend the Clevo p370sm? I'm looking to get one with two 780m in SLI for 'Titan-like' performance. I want to max out games with 3d vision turned on if possible, although I am willing to sacrifice anti-aliasing (i.e. turning it off) in order to achieve this. Am I on the right track?

Would anyone recommend the Clevo p370sm? I'm looking to get one with two 780m in SLI for 'Titan-like' performance. I want to max out games with 3d vision turned on if possible, although I am willing to sacrifice anti-aliasing (i.e. turning it off) in order to achieve this. Am I on the right track?

You're definitely on the right track. With overclocked 780M in sli you get significantly more performance than Titan, have a look at the benchmark scores in this thread:

*OFFICIAL* Alienware M18xR1/R2/18 Benchmark Thread - Part 3

Possible that you might need to flash a modified VBIOS to the 780M in order to unleash it's true potential.

You're definitely on the right track. With overclocked 780M in sli you get significantly more performance than Titan, have a look at the benchmark scores in this thread:

Possible that you might need to flash a modified VBIOS to the 780M in order to unleash it's true potential.

Awesome, thank you for your response, Robbo. I know that building desktops in the past has given me a sort of warm fuzzy feeling inside in getting the best performance per dollar and knowing exactly which quality parts go into the rig. However, there are times when I really need portability and when I desire to be able to relax in other locations. I recently have considered the possibility of even constructing something like a laptop, with only a keyboard/display and USB hub for a mouse, to connect directly to a desktop nearby... :P

I dont know. I don`t think OC GTX 780M SLI will beat a Titan by shockingly much in games though. Maybe around +10% or something. Not that its bad to have a Titan in our notebooks lol :P

Here are some results from when Anandtech tested the Alienware 18 with 780M SLI against a desktop with GTX 780. Titan is what, 8% ish above that?

post-20082-14494996464262_thumb.png

post-20082-14494996464486_thumb.png

post-20082-14494996464744_thumb.png

post-20082-14494996464949_thumb.png

post-20082-14494996465187_thumb.png

post-20082-14494996465397_thumb.png

post-20082-14494996465613_thumb.png

AnandTech | Alienware 18 Gaming Notebook Review

@Robbo: I edited my post some. I don`t know which one you read, but there are some games there where the GTX 780M SLI is hardly above notebooks with only one GTX 780M. So there are some errors with the SLI scaling of some of the games or the way Anandtech tested them.

I think Titan and GTX 780M OC are very similar in performance with the 780M SLI a little more faster. Benchmark wise it may be a different picture though.

The m18x is abreast. I'd go for that laptop anyway. I don't mind heavy notebooks and with the kind of mobile power you would expect the chassis to be heavy to compensate. However I believe its Alienware. However other competitors such as Cleve and sager may have stuff as well.

For a budget gaming laptop, I recommend lenovo y510p with SLI. With two Gt 755m, you can definitely play most modern games at ultra settings. The downside about it is that the battery does not last as long as a normal average laptop. It's also a heavy laptop so it's not the best portable notebook.

The build quality of the Alienwares are atleast one step ahead of the competition, sure it comes with a price but if you can afford it then they are really woth it imo.

I´ve tried and owned an MSI gaming laptop and an Asus one before I bought my first Alienware, an m17x R4.

The difference is huge, the quality feeling and build quality is superb on the Alienware, just this week I upgraded myself to the Alienware 18 and I say I´m NOT regreting it!

Sure it is huge and weights a tonne, but the feeling and perforemance in gaming is excellent.

If you are also in to OC then maybe the Clevo is a better choise due to Dell´s abit scetchy Bios limitations but if gaming is your thing go Alienware, you will not be dissapointed.

There is just one significant downside to the Y510p implementation of the Haswell COU. While the Haswell Intel Core i7-4700MQ processor technical supports TurboBoost, Lenovo appears to have disabled this feature and consequently, the Y510p suffers in comparison with other laptops powered by the same Haswell i7-4700MQ processor. On a multiple 64-0bit test, the IdeaPad Y510p measured 5.29 points on our benchmark Cinebench R11.5 test whereas the older Y500 with the 3rd generation i7-3630QM outperformed the Y510p by 20% with a score of 6.37 points. On the other hand, on a single 64-bit operation benchmark test, the new IdeaPad does no suffer as much and the IdeaPad Y510p was measured to be 7% faster than its predecessor.

My choice would be Lenovo Y50 (non-uHD) version. Price is around 1000. Good choice if you are price conscious.

it packs with GTX860M and i7 4710HQ which support VT-d.

Should play most game fine on Medium to High setting as long as you stick to fHD.