M17x R2 Won't Start, Boot or even Stir! Possible Causes???

So I bought my M17x R2 a few months back. I upgraded the RAM to 16GB and the CPU to a 920XM. It had a CF setup with 5870M, but I ended up killing one of them... Since then these are the problems I have dealt with:

1) I lost the retention clip for the power cable on the power strip panel (thing seemed to barely hang on when I got it). From then on I would have to physically hold the wire in and push the power button to get it to boot.

2) It often would not boot on the first try. I would have to press the power button for 20 seconds without the charger plugged in before getting it to finally boot. I figured this was because of the lost retention clip...

3) About a month ago it wouldn't turn on anymore. I tried with and without the battery to no avail.

What I have tried:

1) I went ahead and ordered a new power strip panel which is far better than the last since the last had missing plastic clips... I tried that out today, but still nothing.

2) I tried with and without the battery (does show it is charging with the glowing alien head when in).

3) I tried pressing the button for 20 seconds without success.

4) I unscrewed the keyboard and reinserted the two cables underneath as I know the big one will also prohibit from booting if not inserted correctly.

My big question is what else could it be that would not even allow the system to show any signs of life? Could it be the graphics card? I have another at my disposal and can try that. What about the CPU? Maybe not enough TIM? I was thinking the power cable may be faulty and could try to swap out the one from the mouse pad to check... Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

Sort of Deja Vu as what happened to me recently as well but I am a 3 year holder of my R2 and the only upgrade I have done is swap from a5870 to a Nvida 670M (wow what a difference, AMD sure has lost their touch!). I had the same problem with the retention clip for the power, a small segment on it broke and I thought the same thing, I was SOL. I then got a bright idea, on my old HP laptop it came with a remote control to watch videos, power it on, etc. (media controller) HSTNN-PR07, because the R2 does include IR reader inputs. I pressed the power on it an worked like a charm. This came to be a real advantage as I got a 23" 120HZ screen, so I put my R2 on a shelf tucked away (with a big hole for ventilation in the back) and just press the remote and I never open up the R2 unless I need to 'fix' something.

Your solution to replace it was the better answer, but as you said you are still not getting anywhere, your getting power in (by the charging indicator of the battery) so we know the power is on okay. Time for strip down! I opened and reseated my memory, made sure it was dust free while at it. Clear out the cpu/case fan too (might as well at least do preventative). Flip it over and get back to the CPU and reseat it. Then remove the CMOS and reseat that too.

Now what I would do would partially put it back together, where your video cards and the CF was sitting out and stop there. Plug in keyboard and power strip, then plug in the power cord and press the button. Does it come on with just the Mobo, CPU and Memory? If not, unplug the power and drop down to just 8GB and test again. If it still doesn't power on, then try with no memory installed and see, if still no luck then I would revert back the CPU to the original one (yeah pain in the ass) but don't fully heat synch/etc. on it, just get it plugged in and again, power it (becareful!) and see if it at least gives the first beep of powering up. If still not you just diagnosed down to the MOBO the MOBO is shot.

It is a step by step process, but that is how to figure out which component is causing the problem along the way.

So I bought my M17x R2 a few months back. I upgraded the RAM to 16GB and the CPU to a 920XM. It had a CF setup with 5870M, but I ended up killing one of them... Since then these are the problems I have dealt with:

1) I lost the retention clip for the power cable on the power strip panel (thing seemed to barely hang on when I got it). From then on I would have to physically hold the wire in and push the power button to get it to boot.

2) It often would not boot on the first try. I would have to press the power button for 20 seconds without the charger plugged in before getting it to finally boot. I figured this was because of the lost retention clip...

3) About a month ago it wouldn't turn on anymore. I tried with and without the battery to no avail.

What I have tried:

1) I went ahead and ordered a new power strip panel which is far better than the last since the last had missing plastic clips... I tried that out today, but still nothing.

2) I tried with and without the battery (does show it is charging with the glowing alien head when in).

3) I tried pressing the button for 20 seconds without success.

4) I unscrewed the keyboard and reinserted the two cables underneath as I know the big one will also prohibit from booting if not inserted correctly.

My big question is what else could it be that would not even allow the system to show any signs of life? Could it be the graphics card? I have another at my disposal and can try that. What about the CPU? Maybe not enough TIM? I was thinking the power cable may be faulty and could try to swap out the one from the mouse pad to check... Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!