Help forcing two Primary (D/PN C8245) 5870M's to work in Crossfire in a m17x R2?

Izenhour

Ok so I recently bought a 5870M with the right side heat sink on it, and well.. my M17x R2 doesn't even want to boot up with both cards installed.

It just turns on, all FX lights turn on, then the screen goes darker but unlit, BUT I can barely see the alien head that shows when the system is started up.

Here is a list of things I've done to try to get this working:

-Bought a 240 watt AC adapter ✓

-bought a crossfire cable ✓ (one that the seller of the card suggested from Eurocom)

-flashed both cards to the latest Vbios ✓

-Flash laptop to A10 Bios ✓

-Cleaned the PCIe slot with compressed are ✓

-tried both cards with out Crossfire cable ✓

-I HAVE ORDERED A GPU FAN- Coming in the mail still-

-Take out Bios battery and hold the power button for 30 seconds ✓

-I've even taken out 1 stick of ram and still nothing ✓

-I've tried both cards in the primary slot, and the swapping the cards in a crossfire configuration and nothing

(they both work in the primary slot)

Would the system as a fail safe not boot with out the second GPU fan installed?

As I've said the system turns on, but freezes right at the alien head and the screen stays unlit.

Also the laptop came in a non SLI/Xfire setup, just a single 5870M.

So... if I understand this right, if you put just one card in the system, as primary, there are no issues?

I mean both cards are definitely functional?

Yes, and yes both cards are completely functional. I know they are both primary cards, I just want to try and get them working with each other. other wise I'll be returning it.

It could be the lack of a second GPU fan. Try only with a single card in the primary slot which you know works but disconnect the primary GPU fan and see if you experience the same symptoms. Worth a try as I see you're waiting for the secondary GPU fan.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have tried that but it still boots with the primary GPU fan unplugged.. :/ I've even tried putting the Cpu fan in the second GPU slot Spins up but does the same thing. i can upload a video showing what happens.