AsusG75vw Upgrades

tgzander

So i have been wanting to upgrade my asus for a while now but i have some general questions before i dive in and order some parts that might not work.

My computer specs are:

Intel core i7 3610qm @ 2.3GHz

2GB nVidia Gforce 660m

8GB Ram

1TB HDD

I want to upgrade my video card, my ram to 16gb and my hard drives to SSD drives, what am i limited to and what are some suggestions that you guys have for upgrades.

Did some digging and it seems the best you can step up to with your laptop at the moment is a 670m. People are hoping a new G75 is released with the 680m so that they can upgrade; seeing as the slot in the G75 is not a generic MXM slot you can't pop in just any card. You have to purchase a compatible one from Asus. Not sure about the RAM or SSDs

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've done some research about some upgrades, apparently there's a compatible blu-ray drive if, like me, you have the bbk5 which doesn't have a bluray player. Max RAM is 16GB which I currently have, it has 2 HDD slots as well so you can either use a small SSD with a huge storage drive or RAID two 512GB SSD's to make 1TB of stupid fast storage (waste of money though IMO). I don't think you can replace the screen with the 3D ready screens so you'll just have to do with the current one, though I prefer this monitor over 99% of what's out there. The opaque-ness of the screen is awesome, no screen glare what so ever and it's easy on the eyes. :D As far as video cards I'm still doing some research about those. I have a 660m in mine and from what I've heard the performance boost to a 670m is pretty decent. I'll post back if I find any more relevant info.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that 128-256Gb installed on ssd is enough for performance use, for the long-time information saving you can install 2.5" hard drive up to 1.5Tb (may be up to 2.0Tb with this one hard drive: Untitled Page

OR

you can make a raid-1 massive to prevent data loss via 2x any HDD or SSD.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Well I've done some research about some upgrades, apparently there's a compatible blu-ray drive if, like me, you have the bbk5 which doesn't have a bluray player. Max RAM is 16GB which I currently have, it has 2 HDD slots as well so you can either use a small SSD with a huge storage drive or RAID two 512GB SSD's to make 1TB of stupid fast storage (waste of money though IMO). I don't think you can replace the screen with the 3D ready screens so you'll just have to do with the current one, though I prefer this monitor over 99% of what's out there. The opaque-ness of the screen is awesome, no screen glare what so ever and it's easy on the eyes. :D As far as video cards I'm still doing some research about those. I have a 660m in mine and from what I've heard the performance boost to a 670m is pretty decent. I'll post back if I find any more relevant info.

The limit isnt 16gb. I have 24gb of ram in mine (2x8gb & 2x4gb), I bet 32gb will work also. The other upgrades I have are the bluray drive and the intel 6235 wifi/bt card.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a G75VW with the 670m 3gb, 16gb ram, 750 hdd. my only real upgrade was to add a 128 SSD for the OS and a few apps to reside on. It was totally worth it, btw. Boot time/wake up time and general use is so fast.

• 1 month later...

Upgraded to the Intel 7260 AC wireless card. This is gonna be a no go atm. I tried 3 different cards and they all have the same symptoms. They lose 5ghz band after a couple of hours. Card has to be reset or system rebooted in order to get 5ghz back. I tested this on "a" and "ac" routers. Intel was no help. If someone has upgraded to the 7260(AC version) let me know if you're having the same problem. Thanks.

• Bios Modder

I use intel 7260ac on 2,4 GHz and have the same problem. I tryed 2 different laptop and both have this issue. I tryed all intel drivers, but it no solved. In internet very much guys have the same problem with 7260ac.

• 1 month later...
So i have been wanting to upgrade my asus for a while now but i have some general questions before i dive in and order some parts that might not work.

My computer specs are:

Intel core i7 3610qm @ 2.3GHz

2GB nVidia Gforce 660m

8GB Ram

1TB HDD

I want to upgrade my video card, my ram to 16gb and my hard drives to SSD drives, what am i limited to and what are some suggestions that you guys have for upgrades.

There is a little problem with upgrading VGA You will probably need a heat sink from gtx 670m because there is a difference between GTX660m and GTX670m but there are plenty of them on a markets.

Also You can fit in it 32Gb of ram its supports it and it have been checked by a lot of people even my G74SX was working stable with 32Gb of ddr3 1600Mhz. And in G75 probably could be a mSata port for ssd like in a g55 so if its correct you could just buy a msata ssd and put it in without removing one of your hard drives.

• 4 weeks later...

The only real limiting factors on upgrading the G75vw (as I have been looking into it myself) are the GPU and the CPU. It will indeed support as much RAM as you can pack into it. But it will only support certain CPUs (Socket G2) and GPUs. The GPUs are specially shaped and designed to fit inside of the G75's chassis. So the best you can upgrade to it the GTX 670m from the 660m. I've heard it is a good set-up in performance, and at onl around $300, it wouldn't be a huge hit to the wallet.