- Yes double checked also tried the 32-bit version and it gave me the same results. Also if I do not open GPU-Z before launching HWInfo the monitors on the second GPU do not show... and GPU-Z states stock clocks for both my cards 700Mhz for GPU and 1000Mhz for Memory... strange indeed, could this be driver related? I'm running AMDs 12.4

What you are describing here is simply due to ULPS... your second gpu is going into power-savings... when you open GPUz it interacts with the hardware causing the 3dclocks to activate as it scanned the gpu core then you suddenly see the second card in HWiNFO... but this ULPS feature will get in the way of your overclocking. you will need to disable ULPS to overclock both your cards properly otherwise only GPU1 will be overclocked...

example of how ULPS will cause issues on monitoring software and or even seeing a secondary GPU in a dual card config... ULPS can even cause BSOD's on setups when trying to access a second gpu which is not showing up. see here for example

http://forum.techinferno.com/hwinfo32-64-discussion/1032-ati-5870m-crossfire-detection.html#post11902

fix ULPS and powersavings

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/1279-5870m-locked-low-clocks.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/1339-crossfirex-5870m-oc-problem.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/1690-flashing-ati-hd-4870-vbios.html#post20951

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks mw86, I will look into the issue and update the thread

You are welcome and it is nice to see you active on Tech Inferno Draiken :)

I downloaded Trixx yesterday, and has the option to disable ULPS, fans are slower across the board (while watching videos... no time for gaming yet), and temps stay the same: High 60s for CPU, high 40s and low 50s for GPU (all °C), will post pictures tomorrow I promise.

You are welcome and it is nice to see you active on Tech Inferno Draiken :)
Thanks, I've been on NBR for a few years, but most of the guides that were posted there, are now only here... and I find the M17x R2 users here more helpful. Thank you guys Edited by draiken
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hi, finally got some pictures from the temps, I still think my CPU temps are a bit high... This pictures were taken just after Boot (IDLE_A) and the others after having the laptop on for about an hour or two, just watching avi's on the TV via HDMI. Please let me know what you think, and if I need to re-do the re-pasting of my CPU. Keep in mind I do not have a Laptop cooler.

post-280-14494993198825_thumb.jpg

post-280-14494993197858_thumb.jpg

post-280-14494993198136_thumb.jpg

post-280-14494993198498_thumb.jpg

Edited by draiken

Yeah 77C seems a bit high for only ~30% CPU utilization. What CPU is that, 920xm?
Nop its an i7-720QM. I'm seriously considering doing a re-paste of both graphic cards and CPU tomorrow. I took some pictures of the temps after playing Mass Effect 3 for a while, but left them at home... one of the GPUs stays in the 50s-60s range, while the other shoots up to 85C. I believe I did not apply enough paste on the second GPU, and also my CPU temps compared to other posts on the forum seem still a bit high. Edited by draiken

@draiken From my (short) experience with the 720QM, those temps are a pretty high. I threw everything I could at mine before my 920XM arrived and I don't think I ever saw it break 75C. A repaste will definitely help your GPUs. Mine hit 110C when I first received my R2 (which I assume is the reason the guy was selling it) but after a repasting I sit around 75C, OC'd and playing BF3. No laptop cooler, just propping up the back of the laptop. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
@draiken From my (short) experience with the 720QM, those temps are a pretty high. I threw everything I could at mine before my 920XM arrived and I don't think I ever saw it break 75C. A repaste will definitely help your GPUs. Mine hit 110C when I first received my R2 (which I assume is the reason the guy was selling it) but after a repasting I sit around 75C, OC'd and playing BF3. No laptop cooler, just propping up the back of the laptop. :)
Thanks, Actually I'm waiting for some new thermal pads to arrive and will be changing them and doing a re-paste... it appears I botched it the first time... temps seem stable enough so I can wait.

• 2 months later...
  • Founder
no pictures in the first post

for me only the first picture is missing, are all of them missing for you ?

EDIT : in any case,i have reuploaded all the images to imgur under my account so the photos should be safe.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, TechInferno forum members!

I am planning on performing the thermal compound/pad replacement as described in this thread, minus the retention clip mod, mainly because I am a big pussy and do not want to attempt something like that for the first time I will meddle with my laptop.

I do have some questions about this:

1. What are the dimensions of the stock thermal pads on the GPU memory (width, length), since I still haven't bought any thermal pads yet. As I understand, both cards should have the same dimensions for the thermal pads.

2. What are the dimensions for that CPU thermal pad thingie?

3. If I understand correctly, the stock CPU thermal interface is really thick and repasting it (in my case, I plan on using Arctic Cooling MX-4 (already ordered)) will lower the heatsink to ~0,5mm. Should I get 0,5mm or 1mm thick pads for the memory?

Thank you very much in advance for reading this!

P.S. Reason for me doing the mod: Recently playing Skyrim on lowest setting @ 1920x1080, my card(s) temperatures (according to HWiNFO64) get to about 81C, which I assume is pretty high, plus, the fans going super-sayan (3rd speed setting*) freaks me out and makes me believe my laptop will explode/have a meltdown. Not planning on doing any OC'ing, so, don't want to try the retention mod.

*A bit about that, when I first turn the computer, the fans go into what I refer as 1st speed - basic, not very loud. After starting some not too intensive game, sometimes when watching a video, the speed of fans kicks up a notch (I refer to this as 2nd speed). When playing Skyrim on the lowest setting, after about 15-30 minutes, the fans go super-sayan (3rd speed) and now my laptop suddenly becomes a jet, which is awesome, but horrifying due to the reason mentioned in the P.S.

I need urgent help. So I followed this guide to repaste my gpu and cpu cause of high temps and cause my comp was dusty as an old mummy. After putting it all together again (managed on like my 3 atempt.. always missing some small wire that had to be drawn over or under the components), the computer won't start, nothing happens when I press the powerbutton, no light nothing. If I attach the powerchord the fans start but there is no screen and no light, I can however at this stage turn the comp of by holding down the powerbutton. I've checked all the cables inside, and I can't really find anything that could be wired the wrong way. I'm thinking that the cable attached to the touch controll and powerbutton panel would be the problem, the blue little clip on the wire fell of, the one you pull to remove the cable and to hold it at place, and the input end is a little bent in the corner... I've never opened a laptop before only built some desktops. Were did I go wrong? Is it the cable or something else? Please someone answer :/

NVM got it starting it was that damn LCD cable that Michael also struggled with :D everythings fine now, it was only the LCD prob, i thought the whole comp was dead but that cause the fans where spinning so silent :D Need to check temps now thanks for this guide :D

NVM got it starting it was that damn LCD cable that Michael also struggled with :D everythings fine now, it was only the LCD prob, i thought the whole comp was dead but that cause the fans where spinning so silent :D Need to check temps now thanks for this guide :D

NVM again... after evverything worked I just had to adjust the keyboard cause it wasn't flat enough... and the same prob came back, it's the graphic card fan that starts when I put in the powerchord... I checked the display wires and touchpanel wires for hours but they appared to be fine exept for the little bending on the touchpanel wire as mentioned earlier that makes it a big fuss to attach... So back to step one...

HELP, why does the fan to the gpu starts when I attach the powerchord, just as earlier? As I was reattaching the keyboard it must be one of the wires that has to do with the power button or gpu... but whatäs wrong with them?

post-4975-14494993508287_thumb.jpgSry for all the posts I've missplaced my panisbutton. I think it's the touchscreen flatwire that is the problem, as mentioned the blue plastic protection fell of from its end, and I dismantled the comp a couple of times just to get it right so it's propably damaged from the looks of it and the weird boots the comp does. Do you think the symptoms fall under the wire being the problem? If so what is it called so I can buy a new one (if that's even possible). I't goes from the motherboard to the touchscreen panel.

• Founder
[ATTACH=CONFIG]4756[/ATTACH]Sry for all the posts I've missplaced my panisbutton. I think it's the touchscreen flatwire that is the problem, as mentioned the blue plastic protection fell of from its end, and I dismantled the comp a couple of times just to get it right so it's propably damaged from the looks of it and the weird boots the comp does. Do you think the symptoms fall under the wire being the problem? If so what is it called so I can buy a new one (if that's even possible). I't goes from the motherboard to the touchscreen panel.

Find the part number for it and you can purchase a replacement from Dell. Also check www.parts-people.com

Sent from my GT-N7000

• 11 months later...