Poor performance with eGPU HELP?!?!?!

Quadrider10

ok so ive tried 3 different GPU's and they all have the same results. ive tried a ATI 6670, ATI, 6770, and now my current, GTX 560 Ti. all exactly the same results. please help me! ive messed and tinkured with this for Months and can not for the life of me figure it out!

my system specs:

1st gen core i5 560m @3.2ghz

6gb RAM

ATI 4500 dGPU

GTX 560 Ti eGPU

running off Express card slot on the side of the notebook. in short, everything is working, and im not receiving any errors. however, Almost ALL games are unplayable! Call of duty 4,5,6,7 all LAG, Farcry 3 lags, combat arms lag, dirt 3 lags, planet side 2, forsaken world, every single game except BFBC2. i can play bfbc2 on high settings on 1600x900 but only on DX9. frame rates are about 5-20 on all games except bfbc2. bfbc2 is about 30-50fps. on those settings. ive tried the latest version drivers from nvidia, but now im on modded drivers from extreme or something like that. what can i do to fix this??!?!?! its driving me insane!

GPU-z says im running pci 1.1 x1

heres the video explaining everything, except im using the 6770 in the vid.

thanks!

Per Which video card do you recommend for best performance on my system? your system is a Series-5 system capable of pci-e 1.x and has no iGPU. Meaning, a NVidia card will get raw x1 1.0 performance which will be choppy exactly as you describe.

Your performance issue can be resolved in one of two ways:

1. If your current system has an adjacent mPCIe port then you could combine the expresscard+mPCIe do a x2 link implementation. Then you'd get x2 1.0 bandwidth. See first post for how to check if for x2 capability.

2. Upgrade to Sandy/Ivy bridge system with an expresscard slot and iGPU. Then you'd assuming you are using a pci-e 2.0 capable PE4L 2.1b (rather than a pci-e 1.x capable PE4H 2.4 or PE4L 1.5) you'd get x1 2.0 bandwidth. The iGPU would allow the NVidia driver to enable pci-e compression accelerating mostly DX9 and to some extend DX10 apps plus allow displaying the accelerated image to the internal LCD. This is referred to as x1.2Opt on the first post.

Good budget system to consider being a 15.6" HP 4530s/8560P, Lenovo E520/T520/T530 or Dell 3550/E6520/E6530. If wanting portability then consider a 12.5" HP 2560P/2570P, Lenovo X220/X230 or Dell E6220/E6230 ultraportable noting only the HP has a socketted CPU allowing user upgrading to a 45W i7-quad. 2560P can often be had for bargain prices on ebay-US.

• Thumbs Up 1

i believe i do have an adjacent port available. however when i tried to do an x2 link, i just could not figure it out.... how do i check to see if i can do an x2 link? i have the PE4H 2.4a. i have a dell studio 1458 if that helps. i dont understand how or y bfbc2 would run awesome compared to MW2 even though BFBC2 is a lot more graphic intensive.

Per Which video card do you recommend for best performance on my system? your system is a Series-5 system capable of pci-e 1.x and has no iGPU. Meaning, a NVidia card will get raw x1 1.0 performance which will be choppy exactly as you describe.

Your performance issue can be resolved in one of two ways:

1. If your current system has an adjacent mPCIe port then you could combine the expresscard+mPCIe do a x2 link implementation. Then you'd get x2 1.0 bandwidth. See first post for how to check if for x2 capability.

2. Upgrade to Sandy/Ivy bridge system with an expresscard slot and iGPU. Then you'd assuming you are using a pci-e 2.0 capable PE4L 2.1b (rather than a pci-e 1.x capable PE4H 2.4 or PE4L 1.5) you'd get x1 2.0 bandwidth. The iGPU would allow the NVidia driver to enable pci-e compression accelerating mostly DX9 and to some extend DX10 apps plus allow displaying the accelerated image to the internal LCD. This is referred to as x1.2Opt on the first post.

Good budget system to consider being a 15.6" HP 4530s/8560P, Lenovo E520/T520/T530 or Dell 3550/E6520/E6530. If wanting portability then consider a 12.5" HP 2560P/2570P, Lenovo X220/X230 or Dell E6220/E6230 ultraportable noting only the HP has a socketted CPU allowing user upgrading to a 45W i7-quad. 2560P can often be had for bargain prices on ebay-US.

@Tech Inferno Fan any ideas???????? need help with this! lol

lol, the answer is already given by Tech Inferno Fan's reply on points number 1!

Yeah you need PE4H 2.4 adapter and from there you connect the adapter using express slot as well as mpcie slot on your laptop but you will restricted to pci-e 1.x bus speed as explained by Tech Inferno Fan's reply. So basically you need PE4H 2.4, EC2C & PM3N and two mini hdmi cables.

For optimums, your laptop doesn't seem to have igpu (ATI 4500 is dgpu) so no luck... and it is only work on nvidia gfx

Hope that would help you resolve your doubt :)

• Thumbs Up 1

thanks! but what about the whole port layout thing? also where can i get a cheap PM3N and mini HDMI cable.... also will i need setup 1.x? r there any advantages to getting setup 1.x even tho i dont receive any error codes? also why would some games be unplayable regardless of graphic settings, and others i can play on full res and quality?

so to clarify, i will be running at PCI 1.1 X2 speeds? Do you think that will stop my lag that im getting on certain games? like COD MW2 should not be lagging.....like, MW2 plays awesome on my dGPU, but BFBC2 i have to play on low settings. with the eGPU, its the exact opposite.

thanks! but what about the whole port layout thing? also where can i get a cheap PM3N and mini HDMI cable.... also will i need setup 1.x? r there any advantages to getting setup 1.x even tho i dont receive any error codes? also why would some games be unplayable regardless of graphic settings, and others i can play on full res and quality?

so to clarify, i will be running at PCI 1.1 X2 speeds? Do you think that will stop my lag that im getting on certain games? like COD MW2 should not be lagging.....like, MW2 plays awesome on my dGPU, but BFBC2 i have to play on low settings. with the eGPU, its the exact opposite.

Try it on ebay, Bplus or HIT.

Since you got your PE4H v2.4a adapter kits then this is what you need to gain x2 speed:-

PM3N + 60cm Flat mini-HDMI Cable Fit to , PE4H to upgrade 2X Speed | eBay

Setup1.x is to disable your dGPU also assign/allocate your mpci-e & express slot to do the x2 speed. Other then that you need to setting physX to CPU or disable it(I'm not sure about this but definitely don't set it to gpu!) if you used Nvidia gfx. Also disable the Nvidia HD audio for maximize the bandwidth.

Cheers

ok thank you! so For Sure i will NEED setup 1.x?

can i have a link to buy it? i found it in 2 or 3 different places, and want to make sure i get the rite one.

Is there one accepting PayPal?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.