Pictures of disassembled Y500 Ultrabay GPU

octiceps

Nope before the temps hit 98c and with the repaste with a lot better thermal paste still the same 98c when +135 on core and 400+ on memory.

Holy **** 98 C?!? That's even hotter than my CPU gets with ThrottleStop on. Something is definitely not right there. What thermal paste did you use? Did you make sure to use only a tiny bit and not spread it with your finger (big no-no)? Remember a lot of the popular ones like Arctic Silver 5 and ICD 7 have a curing time before they reach maximum performance.

I'm guessing your GPU probably throttles at that temperature as well. Maybe you shouldn't overclock; GT 750M SLI at stock is already plenty fast without having to OC. Is your Ultrabay a lot cooler at stock?

From what I've read it seems that the new 750M definitely runs hotter than than the 650M due to the voltage and clock speed increases. Neither of my GPU's has yet to break 80 C at stock including one day when I was playing BF3 in an oven-like 85 F room (it's almost summer in California). Once I find my maximum OC on this rig I'll check the temperatures again.

A lot of people who've disassembled their machines including you and me have already confirmed that repasting doesn't do anything to lower the temps. Sloppy application and using poor-quality TIM is usually responsible for heat problems but with my unit it looked like Lenovo did a pretty decent job at the factory. I put on a very good application of OCZ Freeze which has no curing time and great performance and didn't do anything for me either.

Holy **** 98 C?!? That's even hotter than my CPU gets with ThrottleStop on. Something is definitely not right there. What thermal paste did you use? Did you make sure to use only a tiny bit and not spread it with your finger (big no-no)? Remember a lot of the popular ones like Arctic Silver 5 and ICD 7 have a curing time before they reach maximum performance.

I'm guessing your GPU probably throttles at that temperature as well. Maybe you shouldn't overclock; GT 750M SLI at stock is already plenty fast without having to OC. Is your Ultrabay a lot cooler at stock?

From what I've read it seems that the new 750M definitely runs hotter than than the 650M due to the voltage and clock speed increases. Neither of my GPU's has yet to break 80 C at stock including one day when I was playing BF3 in an oven-like 85 F room (it's almost summer in California). Once I find my maximum OC on this rig I'll check the temperatures again.

A lot of people who've disassembled their machines including you and me have already confirmed that repasting doesn't do anything to lower the temps. Sloppy application and using poor-quality TIM is usually responsible for heat problems but with my unit it looked like Lenovo did a pretty decent job at the factory. I put on a very good application of OCZ Freeze which has no curing time and great performance and didn't do anything for me either.

I used Prolimatech pro-pk1-5g pk-1 thermal paste no break in time needed , I using msi afterburner on screen and hwinfoI to monitor never seen throttlestop the main gpu and cpu never go over 81c.. The only problem is the ultrabay on skyrim for example both gpu's will be at 95-98% with 135+ and 400+ oc thats when I get 98c but at stock it will never go over 88c. So today was playing planetside 2 gpus run at 68-98% played for 3 hours and main gpu 79c cpu 78-81 and ultrabay gpu 88c wasnt even running the cooling pad fan.[h=1][/h]

• 2 months later...

I already put my one back together and don't want to disassemble it, so will refer to pics above. Did anyone notice that one of memory chips (2nd pic from below, top-right one) shoves from underneath the heatsink and silicone pad almost halfway?

I added the small piece of silicone to make the thermal contact between the before-naked half of the IC and metal case, where it bends just near the heatsink (and prevents the installation of one with needed dimensions).

Out of curiosity, is it possible to insert the ultra bay into a Y580? Is there some tweaks that could be done perhaps, or can the 660m not even support SLI/laptop incapability? (Even though I remember reading that it can)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for dig it up.......... but I've got a question.... Does anyone remember or could see where this should be placed the middle bolt with spring (it different coil's density ) on ultrabay card ..

th_20606_20141006_183714_122_176lo.jpg

it means to which hole should be put.... 1, 2 or 3 ?

th_20610_20141006_183804_122_166lo.jpg

I didn't pay attention during disassembling :) ... Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

This is my second Lenovo Y510p laptop, the first one had one 650m, the 2nd one has 2 755m's in SLI. Can you maybe help me figure out if they're running at the exact same speed as well? or is the External PCI-E one running at x4 while the internal is x8? any performance boost from using a single card, vs dual? or dedicating one to PhysX? what's the best setup for gaming in regards to those dual 755m cards? and would i be better off tossing a Blu-Ray drive in?

This is my second Lenovo Y510p laptop, the first one had one 650m, the 2nd one has 2 755m's in SLI. Can you maybe help me figure out if they're running at the exact same speed as well? or is the External PCI-E one running at x4 while the internal is x8? any performance boost from using a single card, vs dual? or dedicating one to PhysX? what's the best setup for gaming in regards to those dual 755m cards? and would i be better off tossing a Blu-Ray drive in?

Both GPU's are PCIe 3.0 x8.

If your games support SLI and you are running GPU-bound settings, you will get nearly double the performance.

I would keep PhysX on 'auto-select' in the Nvidia Control Panel.

I never take my Ultrabay card out since I game a lot. I use an external USB BD drive for watching movies.

So cool of you to share this with us! I haven't got my Ultrabay card yet, but this makes me want it even more! Anyway, does the heatsink make contact with the two Phases on the top side of the board?

Those two inductors aren't covered by anything. I'm guessing because they don't get too hot?