Brian

• Founder

So officially the Asus Maximus V Formula doesn't support Tri-SLI, just Tri-CrossfireX and SLI (2-way). The reason I guess is due to nvidia not being able to officially utilize 4x speeds (e.g. it does 8 x 8). The extreme version of the Maximus V supports tri-sli but that's about $400+ for that board.

One way around it is to use a program called HyperSLI it's a simple install and click program. Just make sure you have a processor that has VT-X (although software emulation is also possible) and 2 mini bridges + 1 long bridge to connect the 3 cards. In my case, I connected 3 GTX 680 cards (2 680 SC signature 2 + 1 680 SC, all EVGA). It doesn't seem like the lack of bandwidth is hurting the performance too much in games or benchmarks on a single monitor at 2560 x 1440. With a triple display, things may change:

3DMARK 11

Performance: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3770K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS V FORMULA score: P21377 3DMarks

Extreme: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3770K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS V FORMULA score: X10444 3DMarks

GAMES

PICS

post-5-14494994887942_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Founder
can you not just use a tri-sli bridge instead of two small sli bridges and one long sli bridge?

Nope, length and spacing is off.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• 1 month later...
  • Founder
Yeah but can't you ''bend'' one since they are usually very flexible? That would take care of the spacing.

It's a pcb, not cable. Anyway I've got dual titans now.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• 6 months later...

Hi OP,

Just to clarify you are running three GTX680's in SLI with a little bit of software to get the third running. And this works well? I was thinking about doing this when I saw your post. What are the gains on having a third card? What are you loosing due to two of the cards going down to 4x?

Thanks for your help!

• 4 months later...
  • Founder
Gains on a third card are almost non existent, microstuttering could get a smaller problem but thats all. CPU limit is a bad thing ...

Not true, the third card scaled quite well when I ran 3 x 680's in the OP. Microstuttering wasn't an issue I noticed either.

• 10 months later...

Hey Brian im trying to 3 way sli on the same board you had would i be able to do it. Also i can't get a card in the last slot would i need a new case and how did you manage to fit it in the last slot? Thanks for any advise and my specs are listed below.

Specs

Mother board asus v maximus formula

power supply 850 watts

crucial mx100 250 gb ssd

1 tb seagate hd

Blu ray player

cpu intel core 17-3770k

16gigs of ram

Case NZXT Crafted Series Phantom Black/Green Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case