[Guide] M15x with AMD 6970m / 6990m - everything you need to know

svl7

Hi, i've made it a little bit another way.

Made 2 profile's in Afterburner one with

2D - 340Gpu/450Memory(its the lowest clock i can set in afterburner :) ).

3D - 740/1005 (slightly overclocked) .

I'm playing 2 games starcraft 2 and battlefield 3, so max GPU temp in starcraft is 72-73, in battlefield 80-83.

When playing SC, afterburner changes profiles automatically, in BF3, i need to change them manually.

Noise is not so pleasant, when playing, but there is nothing i can do :)

• 6 months later...

Digging up an old thread....I noticed that I was starting to get shut down issues, HWinfo was showing the fans weren't running at full speed and GPU temps were getting up to 106'C before crashing! I followed the fan instructions earlier in the thread and have managed to keep it hovering just below 100', but that is still pretty hot. I'm going to take it apart again and do a new paste job, BUT I think I've managed to fix the issue (meaning I'm not shopping a new PC, phew). Question:

is there anything else I should be doing?

Is it possible I've damaged the GPU or would the auto shut down have saved it?

Thanks!

Gus

Make sure your heatsink fits properly, check out the pics in the first post, you might need to work a bit on one heatpipe for optimal contact with the die.

Opened her up to re-paste - the GPU heatsink grill was blocked by dust! respasted GPU and CPU, maxing at a much more reasonable 95, with a much lower average in the high 80s.

Still high I feel, but much more playable and no crashes yet. awesome!

interestingly, the heatpipes look to be miles away from the GPU

interestingly, the heatpipes look to be miles away from the GPU

But one of them might touch an inductor, resulting in a not optimal die contact of the heatsink.

• 2 months later...

Sorry, Am new here but I've read (And love how through you are!)

I have the 6970m in my M15x it works PERFECTLY! my temps are low and I'm able to play my games:)

BUT i don't have any sound via DP, its a dell card, and the display shows up on the screen, but it says I'm using a "display port to dvi adapter" and must use a sound cable to carry over sound, but I'm using a display port to HDMI and it carries sound over on my desktop and all other computer, and did used to carry sound when i had my GTX 240m, but now it wont work, have i don't something wrong?

Thanks,

Justin

• 3 weeks later...
also what is the normal clock speed for the 6970m, cuz i think i may have a 6990m (which i wouldn't be complaining if i did;) )

I am pretty sure the only difference between the two, is the amount of shaders: 960 vs. 1120. Anyway my normal clock speed on the 6990m is 715MHz.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...