Just bought 2 x EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature 2 cards from Amazon

Brian

• Founder

Yeah they're not TITANS but still give exceptional performance, though they cost me quite a bit ($520 each after tax):

post-5-14494994878718_thumb.jpg

3DMark 11 with only +50 on core: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3770K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS V FORMULA score: P17683 3DMarks

post-5-14494994875608_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

• Founder

So one of my cards does 1215 Mhz on stock clocks/volts and has an ASIC of 85%. The other one does 1190 MHz on stock clocks/volts and has an ASIC of 71%. Coincidence that the one w/the better ASIC gets better OC? I don't think so but some people have said ASIC quality isn't 100% reliable but in my case it seems to be.

So one of my cards does 1215 Mhz on stock clocks/volts and has an ASIC of 85%. The other one does 1190 MHz on stock clocks/volts and has an ASIC of 71%. Coincidence that the one w/the better ASIC gets better OC? I don't think so but some people have said ASIC quality isn't 100% reliable but in my case it seems to be.

ASIC quality corresponds to leakage, not how fast a chip can run. High ASIC quality means low leakage and thus lower power draw, while low ASIC quality = high leakage and higher power draw. Some people think that the high leakage chips generally run better under LN2, while high ASIC quality is just flat out superior on air cooling since they can run higher voltages and clocks at the same power draw and heat output.

• Founder
ASIC quality corresponds to leakage, not how fast a chip can run. High ASIC quality means low leakage and thus lower power draw, while low ASIC quality = high leakage and higher power draw. Some people think that the high leakage chips generally run better under LN2, while high ASIC quality is just flat out superior on air cooling since they can run higher voltages and clocks at the same power draw and heat output.

That's pretty much what I've read yet at the same voltages and same cooling, tthe higher ASIC achieves consistently higher boost clocks. The power draw limit in this case is the same for both (125%) so there's a cap set.

Here's the latest run in 3dmark 11, you can see the max core speeds for each card (this is on stock volts, 125% power limit, +75 core/+240 memory). Max GPU load on each card was 97/98% respectively:

post-5-1449499488269_thumb.jpg

Edit: Although I just did notice the 2nd card shows a higher VDDC in the pic but max VDDC on both was 1.1750v. They seem to boost much higher in 3dmark 11 vs bioshock infinite. Definitely killing my non-signature 680s which max'd at 1260 mhz on 1.22v.

That's pretty much what I've read yet at the same voltages and same cooling (closed water), the higher ASIC achieves consistently higher boost clocks. The power draw limit in this case is the same for both (125%) so there's a cap set.

Here's the latest run in 3dmark 11, you can see the max core speeds for each card (this is on stock volts, 125% power limit, +75 core/+240 memory). Max GPU load on each card was 97/98% respectively:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6768[/ATTACH]

Edit: Although I just did notice the 2nd card shows a higher VDDC in the pic but max VDDC on both was 1.1750v. They seem to boost much higher in 3dmark 11 vs bioshock infinite. Definitely killing my non-signature 680s which max'd at 1260 mhz on 1.22v.

Well it makes sense that the higher ASIC % card will clock higher at the same power limit since it uses less power. Unlike Intel CPUs, Nvidia GPUs actually measure power consumption instead of calculating it, so if a card really does use less power than another at the same clocks, it will clock higher.

There are mods to make the current measuring circuit read far less current than reality, effectively disabling power limits (go to kingpin's website for it). It would be interesting to see which card clocked higher with no power limit.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice purchase OP, and don't sweat about the Titans: I originally bought one but got rid of it for 2x 780 since it's pretty much the same performance for 700$ less total (when you SLi 2)...

The 680s are still solid performers, nothing to be ashamed off! :tennis:

• 3 weeks later...