M14X R2 Physx FPS Drop Fix

j9x.inca

Are your games running great at 50-60 FPS and then FPS randomly drops?

- First make sure your GPU/CPU temperature are good. My GPU temp sits at 68 degrees celcius max, and my CPU sits at 89-90 degrees celcius max.

- Make sure your CPU/GPU are not throttling. If you look at MSI Afterburner or similar monitoring software your clock speeds should not jump down and up repeatedly.

-Both of the above good? Then continue below :bananapartyhat:

This is for the Alienware M14X R2 obviously because it's in this forum. I was having problems with FPS drops due to PhysX, I tried everything as far as settings go and overclocking/underclocking. My temperatures were great and so it wasn't throttling. The following really helped:

1) Flash to most updated DELL bios A11 http://ftp.dell.com/FOLDER01271863M/1/M14R2A11WIN.exe (do not use modded A11 BIOS from this forum just yet!)

2) Uninstall NVIDIA drivers completely, MAKE SURE PHYSX IS UNINSTALLED.

2a) IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH PHYSX UNINSTALLING ONLY: Download the most recent Drivers | GeForce (314.22- 25th Mar2013). Run the EXTRACTOR ONLY, EXIT OUT OF THE INSTALLER. Go to C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\314.22\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\PhysX use the installer to remove PhysX.

STEP 3 IS RECOMMENDED NOT REQUIRED****************************

3) -Download Guru3D - Driver Sweeper (no installer) download . ( I know this isn't necessary because NVIDIA now has Clean install but I do it for stability reasons.

-Also download CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download .

-Install CCleaner.

-Reboot into Windows Safe Mode (google it if you don't know how, it's different for Windows 8)

- Run DriverSweeper and clean all of the NVIDIA drivers EXCEPT NVIDIA CHIPSET

-Run CCleaner and fix all registry error (do this a few times in a row to make sure)

-Reboot into normal mode

4) Run the new NVIDIA drivers installation (314.22), It will extract then open the installation.

-Select Custom Install

-Make sure everything EXCEPT PhysX is selected. Also Make sure Clean Install is selected.

-Let NVIDIA reboot computer

-After Computer reboots NVIDIA will finish install and ask to reboot again. Go ahead.

5) Now it is time to install PhysX.

-Download the following PhysX installers:

NVIDIA DRIVERS 9.12.0613

-Install it

-Navigate to this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Engine

-Copy all these files to a safe folder such as in a new folder on your Desktop.

-Run the same installer you just downloaded (0613 driver) and use it to UNINSTALL PhysX. Reboot if necessary.

-Now copy those files I told you to keep safe back into the same directory. The PhysX folder and Engine folder might not be there so remake them manually, spell correctly. Then copy the files into that Engine folder.

-Now go to: C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\314.22\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\PhysX

-Run the PhysX_9.12.1031_SystemSoftware.exe

- This will install PhysX 1031.

- Go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Engine , the files from the old PhysX (0613) should be there still along with the new PhysX 1031 drivers

- NOW YOU HAVE PhysX Legacy Support

6) OPTIONAL STEPS:

The above fixed my problems. But these following steps should help you as well:

1) - Flash your VBIOS using slv7's A11 Modded bios. I have attached a zip file of everything you need in one to make life easier.

Follow the README ive included in the zip file to flash your BIOS. MAKE SURE YOU ARE ALREADY RUNNING THE DELL A11 BIOS FIRST!

2) Upon flashing your BIOS or not Disable Turbo Boost under performance options on your BIOS

Thank You, and I hope this helps people that had my same problem

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, If you are using UEFI to boot instead of BIOS switch your BIOS options on boot to Legacy for flashing modded BIOS. After your done flashing switch it back to UEFI, Disable Legacy ROM, disable secure boot

FOR LINUX DUAL BOOTERS

disable Fast Boot for Windows 8

If your using a bootloader such as rEFInd then you will have to boot using a linux usb such as Arch ISO on usb

---> mount /dev/(partition linux is installed) /mnt

--> arch-chroot /mnt

--> efibootmgr -c -g -d /dev/sda(device EFI files are on) -p (partition number efi files are on) -w -L "rEFInd" -l '\EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi'

---> exit

----> reboot

And your rEFInd bootloader will work like normal again.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! I'll give it a try, hopefully it works. :)

Oh and by the way, 314.22 gave me blinks and restarts itself before you can even proceed to desktop. It didn't happen to you?

Or maybe it was just me? I'll try it again to see if it works, otherwise I'll go with an earlier ones, (the one I'm using 314.07)

Thanks!

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...