intelx.png

Intel’s fastest quad core Sandy bridge mobile part is called Core i7 2920XM and this is a 2.5GHz clocked notebook quad core with eight threads. This 32nm CPU has 8MB of cache and graphics running at 650MHz and when necessary, it will turbo to 1300MHz.

The CPU itself can turbo to 3.5GHz, which is pretty nice for a mobile quad core. The bad thing is the 55W TDP, which practically translates to hot lap. Of course these CPUs usually land in 17'' gaming notebooks as they can benefit from quad cores and eight threads.

According to Intel’s current plan, this CPU remains the fastest one until at least Q4 2011 and it leaves an option for potential update in Q4 2011. One thing is for certain - this generation gets replaced with Ivy Bridge in first half of 2012, most likely already in Q1 2012 but we cannot confirm this now.

The price of this CPU remains unchanged at $1096.00 apiece, at least until something faster comes out.

Source

Would have posted in news, but apparently not allowed LOL :76:

• Founder

the problem is that even the ES chips are about 900$. I remember back when 920xm was king of the hill, it was also about 1000$ for OEM but the ES chips were much cheaper at about 600$-650$

• Founder

This generation is weird with regards to 2920xm. Dell is selling it for $900 while eBay guys are pricing it at the same price for ES chips..wtf? I guess once other OEMs start rolling out 2920xm equipped systems, the eBay guys will be forced to drop their prices but I don't see the demand there like it was for 920/940xm. There just aren't as many systems out there that really utilize it and because Sandy Bridge performs so well across the board, not many people see the justification for an extreme chip. Furthermore, because savvy consumers are aware of the lockbit placed in the bios by OEMs (thus killing any throttlestop support), they're avoiding spending money on an expensive CPU.

• Thumbs Up 1

I totally agree with you Brian... and as the CPU is still pretty new there's not much competition on ebay, atm I can find only three 2920xm for sale, for $1120... they seem to be OEM, no word about ES (though I only looked really quickly). This will hopefully change during the following months.

If I had to guess I'd say Intel will release a 2940xm somewhen in Q4... no change when compared with the 2920xm, but higher binned and multi raised (+1). That would be the most easy way for Intel, they did the same with the first gen already.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's exactly the game they play and there's no big difference because 2920 users will be able to set theirs to the same clocks as a 2940 if and when they release one... and it won't make much sense beacuse right around the corner from then is ivy bridge... but I can't wait till we dive below the 20nm threshold... there will be insane hardware in only 5 years. 2920 will be in phones or even better lol.

• Founder
not many people see the justification for an extreme chip. Furthermore, because savvy consumers are aware of the lockbit placed in the bios by OEMs (thus killing any throttlestop support), they're avoiding spending money on an expensive CPU.

Exactly, in the very end, it doesn't really matter how good the CPU may be, since it's up to the OEMs to decide up to what extend they will allow the CPU to perform (see BIOS locks)... They can either cripple it and make it an unjustified purchase or really enhance it by giving enough freedom to the users and make it one of the best choices for performance.