LG 27EA83-D 27" (2560x1440) Wide Gamut IPS

Brian

• Founder

<article id="features_panel" class="panel activePanel" data-url="/us/products/features?modelName=27EA83-D" style="margin: -1px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; float: left; height: auto; min-height: 50px; width: 960px; overflow: hidden;">ABOUT

LG's EA83 is the ideal monitor for professionals searching for accurate color. LG's Prime Color Management offers a solution with 99% coverage of the Adobe RGB color space and a 10-bit color depth performance that helps to achieve 64 times better color representation than conventional 8-bit monitors. And, with Wide Quad High Resolution, you get 4 times the resolution of HD for a stunning picture quality. Multitasking is made easy with the 4-screen split feature and dual link-up. Now, you can easily view multiple documents on the same screen.

<section class="module feature-content" style="margin: -50px 0px 0px; padding: 25px 40px 0px 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: -webkit-gradient(linear, 0 0, 0 45, from(rgb(241, 241, 242)), to(rgb(255, 255, 255))); overflow: hidden; position: relative;">

Adobe99.jpg

ADOBE 99%

Unlike some monitors that are deficient in blue and green colors, LG’s ColorPrime Monitor has 99% coverage of the Adobe RGB and 100% coverage of the sRGB, the standard color spectrum of perfect color reproduction. ColorPrime Monitor is a great solution for professional photography, graphic design or anywhere highly accurate color is needed.

* Disclaimer: Converting color mode between Adobe RGB and sRGB is available on the ‘Color Mode’ menu.

</section>

<section class="module feature-content" style="margin: -50px 0px 0px; padding: 25px 40px 0px 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: -webkit-gradient(linear, 0 0, 0 45, from(rgb(241, 241, 242)), to(rgb(255, 255, 255))); overflow: hidden; position: relative;">

10bitcolor.jpg

10-BIT COLOR

The 10-bit color display is 64 times more of the color spectrum than an 8-bit color display, re-creating colors softly and naturally without color banding.

</section>

WideQuadHighResolution.jpg

WIDE QUAD HIGH RESOLUTION

Experience a new level of viewing pleasure with LG IPS ColorPrime Monitor's Wide Quad High Definition (WQHD) featuring 4 times the resolution of standard HD for a stunning picture quality.

* Disclaimer: WQHD (2060*1440) pixel resolution may not work depending on content, device, interface or graphic card.

</section>

PortraitDisplayMode.jpg

PORTRAIT DISPLAY MODE

Need to design using a vertical view? No problem, with LG’s portrait display mode. Now you can easily work on vertically oriented graphics like a magazine with one simple pivot.

</section>

ScreenSplitter.jpg

SCREEN SPLITTER

Multitasking should not mean flipping back and forth between windows. The 21:9 UltraWide monitor is not just wide - it's smart. With a single click, the 4-Screen Split feature divides the screen into up to four customizable segments.

Disclaimer: *Screen Split software runs on Windows Vista/7/8 (software also runs on Windows XP for desktop PC’s only).

</section>

DualLinkUp.jpg

DUAL LINK UP

The Dual Link-up feature allows two compatible portable devices, like a computer, camera, phone, or Blu-ray player,

to be connected to the monitor and viewed on a single screen simultaneously.

* To use Dual Link-up, one device must be connected to the DisplayPort the other must be connected to either the HDMI or DVI port.

</section>

HardwareCalibrationReady.jpg

HARDWARE CALIBRATION READY

UltraWide screen with Hardware Calibration* support is a great tool to ensure accurate, true to life and true to the image colors.

* Hardware Calibration support may differ depending on user's environment. Calibrator sold separately.

</section>

TrueColorProSoftware.jpg

TRUECOLOR PROSOFTWARE

LG IPS ColorPrime Monitor features advanced color calibration to consistently produce the most optimized and accurate colors. LG ColorPrime monitors feature a built-in scaler and True Color Prosoftware that supports LG’s hardware calibration that helps boost color adjustment to the optimal level.

</section>

LEDBacklighting.jpg

LED BACKLIGHTING

You won't believe your eyes. LG’s LED technology delivers amazing brightness, clarity and color detail.

</section>

IPS.jpg

IPS

Super In Plane Switching or Super IPS controls the liquid crystal display to help keep distortion at a minimum and allows users to view images on the screen at virtually any angle.

</section>

lg-monitor-ET83-feature-img-detail_FullHD1080p.jpg

FULL HD 1080P RESOLUTION

This stunning picture is the reason you wanted HD in the first place. With almost double the pixel resolution, Full HD 1080p gives it superior picture quality over standard resolution. You’ll see details and colors like never before.

</section>

EA83EnergyStarQualified.jpg

ENERGY STAR® QUALIFIED

Earning the ENERGY STAR means a product meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the US Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Energy. For TVs, it means they save energy both in standby and active (when they're on) modes. ENERGY STAR qualified TVs use about 30% less energy than standard units.

</section>

EA83-5MDynamicContrast-Ratio.jpg

5M:1 DYNAMIC CONTRAST RATIO

Worrying about dark scenes is a thing of the past. The mega contrast ratio of 5,000,000:1 delivers vivid colors and deep blacks.

</section></article>

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Cost: $949.00 + tax from Newegg.com and Frys.com

Reviews:

1. http://www.gadgetreview.com/2013/03/lg-27ea83-d-27-inch-colorprime-ips-led-wqhd-monitor-review.html

2. Tech|Inferno review coming soon.

Quick unboxing

http://youtu.be/BZ1QHSKqF6Q

Short overview

http://youtu.be/ORts9RYOeYA

• Thumbs Up 3

The panel looks amazing Brian, nice grab. :D

Personally though, 1080p is way too low for a 27" monitor, after living with 2560x1600 for almost two years I'll never be able to go back down in res. I'm in the camp that's waiting for ~30" 4k monitors to drop below $1500.

EDIT: In your video you say 2560x1440 (which makes way more sense) but the first post has a whole thing about 1080p AND a bit about 1440! IS SO CONFUSING! :beat_brick:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Yeah it's definitely 1440p. I tried 1080p at that size and it sucked. IMO this is the best IPS display on the market with only professional $2000+ ones being slightly better.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• Founder

Its a bit brighter than the Viewsonic, has more adjustable options (especially color related) and easier access inputs in the back. The frame of the Viewsonic is heavier and better built than the LG but the LG is quite good as well. The LG is thinner since the power supply is external and you can mount it vs the Viewsonic where it is built in. I'd rather have an external power supply like LG because if it goes out, it won't take the entire display with it and can be easily replaced. As far as image quality, to me, the LG wins by miles but that depends on your taste. If you think accurate colors is of highest priority when viewing the web and other content designed for sRGB, then the Viewsonic does an excellent job for $300 less. If you want colors that pop out at you, then the LG is the one to pick. Alternatively, if you are on a tight budge and want a 27" 1440p display, those cheap Korean ones or Monoprice one will do the job for about $400.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does this have PMW flickering?

And i am a bit conmfused because it looks like there are 2-3 versions (27EA83, 27EA83-D and 27EA83R-D). I looked at them in amazon etc. and found out that 27EA83 is way more expensive then other two or maybe those other are the same thing, as i said am confused. Just wan the best one.

Could 27EA83 be just pixel perfect version? Mostly i see 27EA83-D for a reasonable price.

• Founder

I haven't checked for pwm flicker and I usually keep my display at full brightness so I doubt I'd ever see it. However, I think someone on hard forums claims it has it but nobody has verified that.

As for which version to get, the one mentioned on this thread is the wide gamut one. There is another version that is srgb.

Sent from my GT-N7000

I still cant decide between LG and Viewsonic. I just want colors to bee crisp and natural but that 8bit+frc=10bit thing is pulling me towards LG :D. You said something about oversaturated colors on LG or saturation overall. Both look good to me but when you have that ich to get that one, then you will ignore other one no matter what, hehee.

Please do side by side comparison and full video review, thx.

• Founder

@TorkisLV I would personally go for the LG (and I did) but again, the cost + increased gamut is a personal preference. I love the LG colors and think they blow away the Viewsonic. I also think there is less ghosting with the LG vs Viewsonic.

• Founder
Understood, i guess i will just go with it and then will se how it is, but will you do side by side comparison any time soon? :)

Unfortunately no. The plan was to do that but my hdd was corrupted and took all the videos and calibration data I had with it. The Viewsonic was sent back long ago.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• 1 month later...

hello guys

I ordered this monitor:

LG ELECTRONICS 27EA83-D LED AH-IPS WQHD

Since there are so many models which is best, that is what he has less input lag and therefore more suitable for gaming?

Brian I see that you have this monitor model so I guess that is the fastest?

I would use it to play!

Thank you very much and sorry for my english

• Founder
hello guys

I ordered this monitor:

LG ELECTRONICS 27EA83-D LED AH-IPS WQHD

Since there are so many models which is best, that is what he has less input lag and therefore more suitable for gaming?

Brian I see that you have this monitor model so I guess that is the fastest?

I would use it to play!

Thank you very much and sorry for my english

The original models of the 27EA83-D had ~38ms input lag and then LG updated the firmware >1.25. However, you can't tell which firmware you have until you actually power on the display and then do a certain key combination to have the monitor display the service menu and the accompanying firmware revision. There is also an identical model called 27EA83-V which may be the one with the new firmware and LG could have used the "V" designation to differentiate it, I'm not sure. On LG's website, the V model doesn't even show up but you can find the LG 27EA83V on Amazon.

I would probably wait a little longer to find out if the V version is the new one or not before purchasing. If you don't care about input lag, then get the D version like i have.

• Thumbs Up 1

The original models of the 27EA83-D had ~38ms input lag and then LG updated the firmware >1.25. However, you can't tell which firmware you have until you actually power on the display and then do a certain key combination to have the monitor display the service menu and the accompanying firmware revision. There is also an identical model called 27EA83-V which may be the one with the new firmware and LG could have used the "V" designation to differentiate it, I'm not sure. On LG's website, the V model doesn't even show up but you can find the LG 27EA83V on Amazon.

I would probably wait a little longer to find out of the V version is the new one or not before purchasing. If you don't care about input lag, then get the D version like i have.

Thanks a lot!

You said exactly what I wanted to know!

However, I canceled my order for 27EA83-D

Should I find LG 27EA83V likely to be encountered with new firmware

I hope to find here in Italy ...

Thank you so much for everything

I know if I find it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Been lurking in this thread for a bit.

Newegg.com - LG 27EA83R-D Ocean Black 27" 5ms WQHD HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor IPS pivot&height adjustable 350 cd/m2 5,000,000:1

27EA83R-D for $499 until Feb. 6. Pretty solid deal for those looking for this display and have been holding off.

Still no idea what the 'R' means in the model number, I don't see any changes.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Been lurking in this thread for a bit.

Newegg.com - LG 27EA83R-D Ocean Black 27" 5ms WQHD HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor IPS pivot&height adjustable 350 cd/m2 5,000,000:1

27EA83R-D for $499 until Feb. 6. Pretty solid deal for those looking for this display and have been holding off.

Still no idea what the 'R' means in the model number, I don't see any changes.

Wow nice find. It's the updated model and probably has lower response time than the original.

• 3 weeks later...