DIY eGPU not for amateurs?

davide445

Want to update my laptop GPU for environmental impact simulation using CryEngine SDK.

I read about eGPU that's the only possible solution, my concern is how much need I to be IT-savvy to assemble connect and configure all what is needed.

I know about IT but never be hardware expert such as configuring BIOS or create shell scripts (!). At best I work with software, not hardware.

Will be possible to simply have the cookbook, buy the parts, connect them, install maybe a sw and start all of that?

Or you really need something more than that?

Also I'm outside America so I'm wondering if I can easily find here in Europe all what I need, without spending days asking to any IT shop for parts I can't describe.

GPU are standard parts I can buy everywhere, but what about custom enclosure or expresscard to PCIe adapter, there are solutions from international recognized vendors that I can find from local distributors?

With an X220, Running 8GB RAM, your life is quite easy.

You need:

The latest Lenovo bios for your machine (this fixes any TOLUD issues, so you don't need the Setup app).

A PE4L-060A express card adaptor (with SWEX), an easy eBay find in the uk, shipping from China

A graphics card. Go with nvidia if you want to use the internal display.

The latest desktop drivers for that card

A desktop PSU

A mini-itx case makes an easy enclosure. I have a cooler master elite 120.

Stick it all together, power up the gpu before the laptop, install desktop drivers, enjoy!

• Thumbs Up 1

With an X220, Running 8GB RAM, your life is quite easy.

You need:

The latest Lenovo bios for your machine (this fixes any TOLUD issues, so you don't need the Setup app).

A PE4L-060A express card adaptor (with SWEX), an easy eBay find in the uk, shipping from China

A graphics card. Go with nvidia if you want to use the internal display.

The latest desktop drivers for that card

A desktop PSU

A mini-itx case makes an easy enclosure. I have a cooler master elite 120.

Stick it all together, power up the gpu before the laptop, install desktop drivers, enjoy!

Thanks this make me more comfortable about the whole topic, I was thinking wasting my time dreaming about a easy and cheap upgrade. Also asked about eGPU in local shop and they told me its uselesess since the performance improvement are not so good....think they want to sell more laptop.

About PE4L-060A I can't find other than shipping from China or US, takes some time and substantial cost (respect the part cost). There are no other more easy to find equivalent as passive adapter?

I was already thinking about Nvidia since I read about perfect compatibility. Want to stay on medium cost, do you think will be better GTX 460 or 650?

Also about the case the cooler master elite is nice but have space for HDD and other things so its bigger than needed, there are no similarly priced options that have space for just the GPU and the PSU, so to be more compact?

Thanks this make me more comfortable about the whole topic, I was thinking wasting my time dreaming about a easy and cheap upgrade. Also asked about eGPU in local shop and they told me its uselesess since the performance improvement are not so good....think they want to sell more laptop.

The performance increase is not as good as if you used the same graphics card in a desktop PC. It's vastly better than any sensibly priced laptop (and if you use the trackpoint on your x220, then there genuinely is no alternative). It's quite limited if you're using the laptop internal display, but _still_ worthwhile even then.

About PE4L-060A I can't find other than shipping from China or US, takes some time and substantial cost (respect the part cost). There are no other more easy to find equivalent as passive adapter?

There are apparently other adaptors available, but the PE4L-060A works well and works at Gen2 speed (I'm now looking into trying a PE4L-200A for my particular needs). I couldn't find any european sellers, so I got mine from redrontech on ebay (search for item 181101262743) and delivery was speedy (less than a week I think).

It seems BPlus are listed directly on AliExpress, but I've never used them: Aliexpress.com : Buy PE4L EC060A V2.1b Adapter from Reliable ExpressCard to PCIE suppliers on Shanghai Bplus Electronics Technology Ltd.

I was already thinking about Nvidia since I read about perfect compatibility. Want to stay on medium cost, do you think will be better GTX 460 or 650?

Also about the case the cooler master elite is nice but have space for HDD and other things so its bigger than needed, there are no similarly priced options that have space for just the GPU and the PSU, so to be more compact?

I picked up a cheap GTX 560 448 core and am very happy other than the noise it makes! (to the extent that I've now watercooled it: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-82.html#post42019 for which much smaller than an elite 120 would be a problem :) )

From anything I've read, a GTX 560 448 beats a GTX 650ti. I would take a refurbished GTX 460 over a vanilla GTX 650 (a 650ti is a closer match) - AnandTech | Bench - GPU12

Case-wise, you could just aim for a PE4H-3.2 (ebay item 170990045067), but you have to figure out getting power to it and worry about graphics card compatability.

Otherwise look around at other mini-itx cases which can take a graphics card, or build something custom! A silverstone SG05 might work, especially if you need a PSU anyway.

GTX650Ti (110W TDP)

GTX660 (140W TDP)

GTX660Ti (150W TDP)

GTX560-1GB (150W TDP)

GTX460-768MB (150W TDP)

GTX460-1GB (160W TDP)

GTX560TI (170W TDP)

A GTX650Ti is great if you need a low power GPU. However if you'd be running an eGPU with a standard 12V/18W ATX PSU typically thrown out by businesses then you could run any of the above GPUs. They could also be powered by a modded xbox360 203W AC adapter if need more portability.

A GTX560Ti is a great s/h bargain one that I rate above a GTX460-1GB since it has 384 cuda cores (vs 336). It's also faster than a GTX650Ti per techpowerup. If you are looking at Keplar then for a few dollars more a GTX660Ti offers a substantial performance upgrade over a GTX660.

GTX650Ti (110W TDP)

GTX660 (140W TDP)

GTX660Ti (150W TDP)

GTX560-1GB (150W TDP)

GTX460-768MB (150W TDP)

GTX460-1GB (160W TDP)

GTX560TI (170W TDP)

A GTX650Ti is great if you need a low power GPU. However if you'd be running an eGPU with a standard 12V/18W ATX PSU typically thrown out by businesses then you could run any of the above GPUs. They could also be powered by a modded xbox360 203W AC adapter if need more portability.

A GTX560Ti is a great s/h bargain one that I rate above a GTX460-1GB since it has 384 cuda cores (vs 336). It's also faster than a GTX650Ti per techpowerup. If you are looking at Keplar then for a few dollars more a GTX660Ti offers a substantial performance upgrade over a GTX660.

Done some research, pushing a bit my budget I can afford max a GTX660, that cost just few $ more than 560Ti and offer better performance, 660Ti it's just too expensive.

I have anyway some concerns and doubts:

- I was reading this post x220 + External graphics card compatibility - Lenovo Community where state a 460 is filling the available bandwidth, so using anything more than a 470 it's a waste. A 660 still make sense or its just a waste of power?

- About the usage I will do: not realtime gaming but just SDK landscape creation and walk registration to create a promotional video. Still make sense a serious GPU such as 660 or I'm just satisfying my ego and a cheaper 650 will be more than enough to speed the design time and have a registered walk?

- looking at 660 I find many versions. The better priced is PALIT GTX660 2GB DDR5, HDMI/2 X DVI/DISPLAY PORT, DIRECTX11 28NM PCI 3.0, NE5X66001049-1060F. Good, or there any other version you suggest?

- About power I'm a bit confused: I find the GPU consumption is something more than 140 w, but request a PSU at least 450 w. Some case have a 300w PSU, what need I to look for?

Case-wise, you could just aim for a PE4H-3.2 (ebay item 170990045067), but you have to figure out getting power to it and worry about graphics card compatability.

Otherwise look around at other mini-itx cases which can take a graphics card, or build something custom! A silverstone SG05 might work, especially if you need a PSU anyway.

Sure I want a case that already integrate a PSU and that don't request from me more than pushing the GPU inside and connect few cables.

Looking the Silverstone it's more compact than the cool master and that's good, you think can be easy to fit all in?

About GPU here is the GPU Support list and 660 is not listed, you think it's just a cautions approach or really might have problems?

I use the MSI Twin Frozr 660 and it's a great card. My hard drive is louder than the card even while playing battlefield 3.

That 450w PSU requirement is for a desktop. The 140w is how much the graphics card itself will consume.

I use the MSI Twin Frozr 660 and it's a great card. My hard drive is louder than the card even while playing battlefield 3.

That 450w PSU requirement is for a desktop. The 140w is how much the graphics card itself will consume.

Mean if I buy a 200w PSU will be ok? Inside my case there will be only the GPU to power.

GTX650Ti (110W TDP)

GTX660 (140W TDP)

GTX660Ti (150W TDP)

GTX560-1GB (150W TDP)

GTX460-768MB (150W TDP)

GTX460-1GB (160W TDP)

GTX560TI (170W TDP)

The GTX 650 is more than enough for my SC2 at max settings and does not require a separate 6-pin connector. I only got the GTX 650 Ti since it had a MIR that made it the same price as the former.

Mean if I buy a 200w PSU will be ok? Inside my case there will be only the GPU to power.

The total wattage is not that useful. You need to check the specs and see if a single 12V rail can deliver enough amperage to meet the demands of the GPU's TDP.

The total wattage is not that useful. You need to check the specs and see if a single 12V rail can deliver enough amperage to meet the demands of the GPU's TDP.

The main problem appear to find a good and small case. Since now found these:

Thermaltake Element Q

SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- SG05

But I don't understood if they can accommodate a GTX650/660 GPU in term of size, interfaces and power.

I know the feeling. I haven't gotten around to housing my eGPU.

So you have still separate pieces?

I'm really dying on that subject, I can't understood if a "regular", even small, case give some plus (I.e. integrated PSU, video card connector) or in fact since its not made for that purpose make all complicated and a DIY solution it's better (in fact just a box with a hole for the fans and some pins to block the things inside).

Bytw I also got to have a doubt about the GPU choice btw 650Ti and 660, there are in your opinion specific reasons to choose the first? I will use it at max 1080 resolution no more.

The main problem appear to find a good and small case. Since now found these:

Thermaltake Element Q

SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- SG05

But I don't understood if they can accommodate a GTX650/660 GPU in term of size, interfaces and power.

The thermaltake is nice and small, but if you want a no-modification install, it will only take a single slot graphics card. You definitely can't get a single slot 660, and I can only find one reference of a single slot 650ti Colorful 650ti. Even most 650 non-ti's are dual slot. The included PSU can drive 180W on the 12V rail, so should be good for any single slot nvidia card. You would need a molex to pci express power adaptor, but most cards come with these. the length of the chassis looks good for any single slot card as well: PSU rating

So with that chassis, the limitation is to use a single slot card that's no taller than the backplate. I think this also implies the power connectors need to be on the end of the card and not the side.

The Silverstone case will take any dual slot card up to 10" in length. Most cards you're looking at fall into this category, unless they've got special cooling (like a Asus Twin Frozr). The 300W PSU should be sufficient with 14A and 16A on the 12V rails.

Done some research, pushing a bit my budget I can afford max a GTX660, that cost just few $ more than 560Ti and offer better performance, 660Ti it's just too expensive.

I have anyway some concerns and doubts:

- I was reading this post x220 + External graphics card compatibility - Lenovo Community where state a 460 is filling the available bandwidth, so using anything more than a 470 it's a waste. A 660 still make sense or its just a waste of power?

You definitely see some benefit from using a card faster than a 460. BUT they don't perform as well as they would on a desktop. From reports in the main eGPU thread, it seems that a 650 isn't bandwidth limited across even a PCI express 1.0 x1 connection (!), but cards above that certainly are. That does not mean that a 680 performs the same as a 650. It means that an egpu 650 performs the same as a desktop 650, but an egpu 680 performs much slower than a desktop 680 (but still better than a 650). So the issue of using something more than a 460/560 ti is that you are spending a lot more cash for less performance than you'd like.

- About the usage I will do: not realtime gaming but just SDK landscape creation and walk registration to create a promotional video. Still make sense a serious GPU such as 660 or I'm just satisfying my ego and a cheaper 650 will be more than enough to speed the design time and have a registered walk?

I can't answer that question. You need to find what desktop users of the app you use find as the best tradeoff. tbh I'd be surprised if there was much benefit going above a 650, but that's blind speculation. If other users find a 680 useful, then I'd say get the 660 as a sensible trade-off :)

- looking at 660 I find many versions. The better priced is PALIT GTX660 2GB DDR5, HDMI/2 X DVI/DISPLAY PORT, DIRECTX11 28NM PCI 3.0, NE5X66001049-1060F. Good, or there any other version you suggest?

- About power I'm a bit confused: I find the GPU consumption is something more than 140 w, but request a PSU at least 450 w. Some case have a 300w PSU, what need I to look for?

I can't help with specific cards, the description sounds sensible (like a reference design).

Power questions have been answered already - what matters is the 12V current.

How can I understood if a case can take a dual slot card?

I read carefully many many case specs but never find "can accept two slot video cards", there was only the max length.

Or I simply need to search for a case with two card slot? I can't understood the difference.

Sure I don't want to be limited to single slot card since my choice is either 650ti or 660 and as I read double slot are better cooled.

I just look at the back of the case: http://images.tweaktown.com/content/3/7/3726_09.jpg On the right hand side is a single slot. The gap in the bottom is where a motherboard would normally go.

Thanks. I think will go probably for 650ti since is more cost effective.

About PCIe I think this will be not a problem since I will buy the right PCI adapter, the bottleneck will be my ExpressCard interface.

Does the slot I will use in the case make any difference? I don't think so since they will be used just to power the card, but as you know I'm not a expert.

There is no slot in the case. The PE4L that you connect the bottom of the graphics card (with most of the connector overhanging) is the slot.

You just need to connect a floppy power connector to the PE4L, a PCIexpress power connector to the graphics card, the SWEX adaptor to the PSU and you're good to go.

Note that you can't use the case front power button to turn the graphics card on, but you can use the PSU switch on the back of e.g. the SilverStone SG05 to do so.

I just look at the back of the case: http://images.tweaktown.com/content/3/7/3726_09.jpg On the right hand side is a single slot. The gap in the bottom is where a motherboard would normally go.

There is no slot in the case. The PE4L that you connect the bottom of the graphics card (with most of the connector overhanging) is the slot.

You just need to connect a floppy power connector to the PE4L, a PCIexpress power connector to the graphics card, the SWEX adaptor to the PSU and you're good to go.

Note that you can't use the case front power button to turn the graphics card on, but you can use the PSU switch on the back of e.g. the SilverStone SG05 to do so.

Ok that mean I need to look at case with two PCI/expansion slot (right?)

The video card will powered from the case PSU if I put it in case PCI slot? I assume the PCIe power connector is integrated into case expansion slot where I insert the card (that on the right of the photo), or I'm totally wrong?

So I need to connect the PSU also to PE4L, but normally integrated PSU does have a spare power connector to do so?

Or I'm totally wrong and the case it's just a box that only contain all the things, but none of his "services" (ie powered PCIe slot) are used from a eGPU setup, except from the PSU itself?

If so really I don't see the point using one of this case, apart from the finishing.

From reports in the main eGPU thread, it seems that a 650 isn't bandwidth limited across even a PCI express 1.0 x1 connection (!), but cards above that certainly are. That does not mean that a 680 performs the same as a 650.

I can confirm this, but not totally accurate: there is a little bit of bandwidth limitation.

I'm running a GTX 650 Ti in my eGPU at 1.1Opt, and I'm getting about 90% of the GPU's full power. However, when I pull it out and drop it into my desktop, I'm seeing a definite framerate increase in the same games (e.g. Metro 2033, L4D2), despite my desktop only being C2D E8400 and my laptop being i7 2760QM. As well, my GPU monitors (MSI Afterburner) show that in my eGPU my 650 Ti never goes above 80-90% load, whereas on my desktop I've seen it spike to 100%.

So while my desktop gets better performance out of the GPU, we're really only talking about something like 5-10 frames more than my laptop, and when you're already running a game at 60-80fps, that's not really that much in the end. I just wanted to toss that out there.

The video card will powered from the case PSU if I put it in case PCI slot? I assume the PCIe power connector is integrated into case expansion slot where I insert the card (that on the right of the photo), or I'm totally wrong?

So I need to connect the PSU also to PE4L, but normally integrated PSU does have a spare power connector to do so?

Or I'm totally wrong and the case it's just a box that only contain all the things, but none of his "services" (ie powered PCIe slot) are used from a eGPU setup, except from the PSU itself?

If so really I don't see the point using one of this case, apart from the finishing.

FWIW, I have my eGPU housed in a Shuttle XPC case. It's not as small and elegant as a mini-ITX, but I found that it's more convenient due to the size: I can stack my secondary monitor (19") monitor on top of it, and it's now top-aligned with my primary monitor.

In my thread here, I have some pictures of my enclosure. As you can see, it's larger than a mini ITX case, but not by too much. And because of the larger case, I have lots of empty room inside that allows me to stow away the cables (PSU power, DVI), making it really easy to just pack up and go.

• Thumbs Up 1

Correct.

I've just realised what you mean by amateur. You never installed a graphics card (and definitely never put together a PC from scratch).

That's not a problem, it's still easy, but means that I have to be a bit more complete in my explanations.

A case has no PCIe slot, only backplates for physical mounting. I'm only suggesting a mini-itx case for the convenience of physically mounting the graphics card and PSU. You can make a smaller enclosure with some DIY skills, or leave all the components on the desk (or use a PE4H 3.2). The mini-itx case is the easiest way to a small, tidy solution. It is overkill for what we need.

A mini-itx case would normally house a mini-itx motherboard (which in turn houses a CPU and memory) which typically has a single PCI express slot which you can mount a graphics card in and screw to the backplate in the case for stability. For an egpu setup, there is no need for a motherboard in the case - your motherboard is under the keyboard in your laptop. But you do need something to plug the graphics card into for it to communicate with your laptop. That's the PE4L.

So you've got a PE4L to take care of the electrical signal connection from the graphics card and a case to physically screw the card to. You then need to power the PE4L and graphics card. This is easily done with a regular desktop ATX power supply (or SFX in some of the smaller cases mentioned). You take a regular floppy power connector from the PSU to power the PE4L and provide a small amount of power over its pci express slot. And you take a regular PCI express power cable from the PSU directly to the graphics card.

There's one additional gotcha which is that the PSU won't turn on without being connected to a motherboard. A regular motherboard has its power supplied by a 20 or 24 pin connector from the PSU and is connected to a switch on the fron panel of the case. When you press the power switch on the front of the case, the motherboard shorts two pins of that 20/24 pin connector to tell the PSU to fully power up. In an egpu setup, you connect the SWEX adaptor to this 20/24 pin connector to tell the PSU to wake up. Unfortunately you can't use the front panel power switch, but you can either make the SWEX accessible to turn it on and off, or leave the SWEX always-on and control the power to the PE4L and GPU via the primary power switch on the back of the PSU (as I do).

I can confirm this, but not totally accurate: there is a little bit of bandwidth limitation.

I'm running a GTX 650 Ti in my eGPU at 1.1Opt, and I'm getting about 90% of the GPU's full power. However, when I pull it out and drop it into my desktop, I'm seeing a definite framerate increase in the same games (e.g. Metro 2033, L4D2), despite my desktop only being C2D E8400 and my laptop being i7 2760QM. As well, my GPU monitors (MSI Afterburner) show that in my eGPU my 650 Ti never goes above 80-90% load, whereas on my desktop I've seen it spike to 100%.

FWIW, I have my eGPU housed in a Shuttle XPC case. It's not as small and elegant as a mini-ITX, but I found that it's more convenient due to the size: I can stack my secondary monitor (19") monitor on top of it, and it's now top-aligned with my primary monitor.

About this 1.1Opt may I ask you what exactly is? A sw version, a benchmark?

I can't find a single Shuttle XPC case, what model are you using?

Correct.

I've just realised what you mean by amateur. You never installed a graphics card (and definitely never put together a PC from scratch).

That's not a problem, it's still easy, but means that I have to be a bit more complete in my explanations.

A case has no PCIe slot, only backplates for physical mounting. I'm only suggesting a mini-itx case for the convenience of physically mounting the graphics card and PSU. You can make a smaller enclosure with some DIY skills, or leave all the components on the desk (or use a PE4H 3.2). The mini-itx case is the easiest way to a small, tidy solution. It is overkill for what we need.

Confirm, never done anything on hw!

So in fact the case it's just a enclosure. I will consider not to buy one at this stage, maybe will simplify the setup and when I have finished I can better evaluate what I really need.

About PSU I read here Power requirements for graphics cards

Geforce GTX 660 - 24A and a 450W PSU minimum

Geforce GTX 650ti - 20A and a 400W PSU minimum

What can be a good PSU that I can later put inside a case when I buy one?

So in fact the case it's just a enclosure. I will consider not to buy one at this stage, maybe will simplify the setup and when I have finished I can better evaluate what I really need.

Yes - I'm only suggesting a case for the purpose of being a convenient enclosure. You can get an egpu up and running without (and it seems many never buy/make a case).

About PSU I read here Power requirements for graphics cards

Geforce GTX 660 - 24A and a 450W PSU minimum

Geforce GTX 650ti - 20A and a 400W PSU minimum

What can be a good PSU that I can later put inside a case when I buy one?

Those quoted numbers are for the graphics card in a full system, so it includes some overhead for motherboard, CPU, hard drive etc. You won't be having any of those (unless you're looking to upgrade to a full system), so you don't need one that highly rated. As sgogeta4 states on page 2, the TDP for the 650ti is 110W and the TDP for the 660 is 140W (which corresponds to 9.2A and 11.7A respectively). Giving yourself some headroom, lets say 15A, means that you can manage quite happily on a 180W PSU (at least a PSU that can supply 180W on its 12V rail).

This calculation goes out of the door if you plan on overclocking or using the PSU for something else later, but I'd go for a good quality 250-300W PSU (I will not advise on a cheap PSU).

What would I get? I'm a big fan of Seasonic power supplies. They cost a chunk of cash, but they're incredibly quiet and you don't have to over spec them to make them last. I've had one fail on me, but it didn't take out any of my connected components and was covered under a 5 year warranty.

In my egpu build, I've got a massively over spec Corsair AX650 (left over from my old desktop machine). Why, when I've just said the above about Seasonic? Seasonic make the high end Corsair PSUs and it comes with a 7 year warranty. Being fully modular helps manage the cable mess.

Low end Corsair CX aren't made by seasonic :( But all of XFX's range are, so I'd pick up a XFX 450W Pro Core at around £35 (having just said you only need 300W :) ). Single 34A 12V rail. Use it in a desktop machine later on.

A final word of caution. The obvious PSU for an egpu build is regular ATX, but many of the smaller cases will not take an ATX PSU without modfication. The Sugo SG05 for example only takes the smaller SFX format. You may look to pick up an SFX PSU in the first place, but you might need an adaptor bracket depending on your final enclosure. So the final decision of what to do about an enclosure does impact what to do about a PSU.

Yes - I'm only suggesting a case for the purpose of being a convenient enclosure. You can get an egpu up and running without (and it seems many never buy/make a case).

Those quoted numbers are for the graphics card in a full system, so it includes some overhead for motherboard, CPU, hard drive etc. You won't be having any of those (unless you're looking to upgrade to a full system), so you don't need one that highly rated. As sgogeta4 states on page 2, the TDP for the 650ti is 110W and the TDP for the 660 is 140W (which corresponds to 9.2A and 11.7A respectively). Giving yourself some headroom, lets say 15A, means that you can manage quite happily on a 180W PSU (at least a PSU that can supply 180W on its 12V rail).

This calculation goes out of the door if you plan on overclocking or using the PSU for something else later, but I'd go for a good quality 250-300W PSU (I will not advise on a cheap PSU).

What would I get? I'm a big fan of Seasonic power supplies.

Ok thanks I will search for PSU based on your specs.

About the enclosure: I was about to compare the cost of a DIY solution with the ViDock one (I started feeling the DIY task too difficult for me and wanted to evaluate how much will cost me a bit of peaceful plug and play), when I come trough the PE4H V3.2: it's perfect!

I have the fit enclosure with all inside except the PSU (also ViDock is so) for USD170!

If you confirm this is ok this is my solution.

Think at this stage I just need to find the 300w PSU with the correct cabling to connect with this v3.2, and maybe made to be external (there are PSU with a own "enclosure" such as the 120w power adapter they are proposing?)

I have anyway some concern. The website state

"PE4H V3.2 design for engineering test. NOT for home or office use.

Almost PCIe 16x video card can’t get enough memory resource are allocated. Can’t work in your laptop."

Does somebody already tested it?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.