Lenovo Y580, Keyboard and trackpad...Where to buy

odin2free

Hello all

SO i have a bit of a dilemma..

My keyboard and trackpad on the y580 (english) is dead..

The ribbon for the keyboard has fraid...

Story time

I took apart the y580 for new thermal paste on the gpu and cpu

Go to oput it bak together and the ribbons were frayed and did not go in easily

So now my keyboard does not work nor does my trackpad...

although the backlight on the keyboard works which is weird..

Wondering where i can get a keyboard (ebay first choice)

or if there is a work around for getting it to work again

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch. Sorry to hear about the keyboard and touch pad. Keyboard is doable. Fixing it would probably be more trouble than it is worth. There are reputable vendors selling them in the US around $44 w/ free shipping. Try New US Keyboard Black for IBM Levono IdeaPad Y580 Y580N Y580NT Series Backlit | eBay

Touch pad is another story. You'd likely have to replace the palmrest.

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered one from ebay,

It is only the keyboard part

I will be calling lenovo once the part arrives from china (two more weeks its floating on a ship somewhere)

Then hope they can just send me the palmrest and trackpad combo for self repair :D

they were pretty cool when i first talked to them about the computer they actually wanted me to just read parts numbers and they would find it and ship it off to me but i would be paying wayyyyyy to much for it so went the china man route instead

• 2 weeks later...

So the keyboard arrived sooner than thought...Now time to find out where i can get the palmrest and trackpad...as ebay is not doing to great for me and i work four days this week gotta wait till wednesday for the grand call to lenovo to see if they can just ship me the parts that i need nothing more nothing less...plus not sending my laptop in to them because they take forever to repair things...a month to repair one thing..kinda pointless

Hopefully you can get a discount, because the parts are ridiculously expensive / overpriced. This 90200841 - CASE UPPER W/TP QIWY4 is what you're looking for I believe.

If you don't have any luck with Lenovo, you may want to contact this supplier. Replace new palm rest/top case for Lenovo Y580, View Perfect palm rest for Lenovo Y580, Product Details from Shenzhen Jinmetair Technology Development Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com. I'm not sure if that includes the TP, but it doesn't hurt to ask. These parts are so scarce.

I've personally been scouring the net looking for a cheap Y580 keyboard to dismantle. I just purchased the Y500 with the red backlight, but I'm not a fan of the color, in fact it's incredibly irritating... though I use the backlight a lot. So, I wanted to pick up a Y580 keyboard, and see if I could somehow retrofit it, or swap keys at the very least, then remove and solder new LED's. I have quite a bit of experience with SMD soldering, so it wouldn't be an issue... but being that I don't want to dismantle my brand new laptop keyboard and potentially destroy it, I don't know if it will be possible to access the LED's without causing permanent damage. Let me know if you'd like to sell or donate your broken keyboard in the name of science! :D

Alright so the keyboard arrived...

I currently have the new one installed but no keys work at all...

(driver?)

Kinda annoying i just got off work and the laptop was dismantled before i went into work and got back put it all together and yes i made sure all ribbons fit properly and what not...

started up and nothing....

Currently though im just going to keep the new one in place and wait till im not really busy doing anything at all to get down and dirty with this little beast

As for the LED thing...pain in the neck it would seem...

(you should just change out the led from red to white..it would be simpler..though i would be willing to sell the old one to ya for cheap with shipping..just have to get settled down first kinda hectic world right now(swimming in oil sucks to fix one minimal thing ya )

Alright so the keyboard arrived...

I currently have the new one installed but no keys work at all...

(driver?)

Kinda annoying i just got off work and the laptop was dismantled before i went into work and got back put it all together and yes i made sure all ribbons fit properly and what not...

started up and nothing....

Currently though im just going to keep the new one in place and wait till im not really busy doing anything at all to get down and dirty with this little beast

As for the LED thing...pain in the neck it would seem...

(you should just change out the led from red to white..it would be simpler..though i would be willing to sell the old one to ya for cheap with shipping..just have to get settled down first kinda hectic world right now(swimming in oil sucks to fix one minimal thing ya )

Wouldn't need a driver, it should just work. You said in your OP that the original ribbon cable was frayed... did you check to see if any part of it was still stuck in the connector? Otherwise, it could be that the connector itself has been damaged (the pads inside the connector that is - thought, it's not very likely). If that's the case, you'd have several options... which would all require soldering. As silly as it seems, the first thing I would check is to make sure you've connected the ribbon cable the right way around. Typically the pads face down toward the board. (Just covering all the bases). Also, how frayed was the cable? Could it be that the original keyboard wasn't working for a different reason?

I may just do that, swap the red for white... the white looks nice as it is... much preferred over the red. But definitely, let me know if you find the time, and manage to get yours working. Would be grateful to pick your broken one up.

I am typing before i start to work on this right now,

I will check to make sure nothing has gone in wrong also have to fix the ribbon that is used for the power and speaker buttons on top (speaker button is lit dont want it to be (my fault rushed before)

So i will check to make sure nothing is stuck in there and make sure everything how i want it also have to check the trackpad...(costs alot for such a thing really i dont need the whole palm rest just the trackpad)

Also im looking at a 3840qm to throw in here to replace the 3630qm and throttlestop it (worth it ehhh) i dont know if it will be worth the change but it uses the same wattage and i can handle the heat it throws out (my camper has ac constantly running in summer time and winter time its so cold that no need to even have fans (north dakota usa)

I am trying to maximize this little thing to the best that i can possibly do and then sell it off to a lucky buyer who is willing to utilize this little beast

I like getting the most i can from something that can handle it

So expect an edit when im done

• 6 years later...