[BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock

i left a message on the notebookreview forums but since this official for your mods i'll post it here too.

i replaced my w230st with a w230ss due to a unrelated prob. (nothing to do with the bios)

anyway the dGPU - ASPM feature worked on the w230st but doesn't on the w230ss. the laptop fails to shutdown properly.

the screen goes off likes it's shutting down and then it just hangs with a lit keyboard and power button, eventually the fan spins up again if you leave the machine and then come back expecting it to be off.

any idea if this cam be fixed? i've disabled it for now and the laptop shuts down correctly.

I'll test it on my own system during the weekend...maybe it requires the driver to be installed after the change?

I'll test it on my own system during the weekend...maybe it requires the driver to be installed after the change?

Just to comment on this; I just got my w230ss FHD and switched to Prema today, enabled ASPM on dGPU and have not had any problems. I am able to shutdown/suspend with no issues, however, I am running Linux Mint so it could be your OS/driver as Prema suggests.

just tried for me it did not work. I removed the NVIDIA drivers. Set the Bios to

Chipset -> Graphics & Memory -> DGPU -> DGPU -> Auto

DGPU ASPM -> L0SL1

ASPM L0S -> Both

started windows - worked fine.

Installed the 344.11-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql driver my machine stopped (crashed) in the last step before i could click Finish. Had to hold Powerbutton to turn the computer off. Switched Bios settings back to disabled. Windows bootet but NVIDIA driver was not installed completeley. Installed it again - with disabled ASPM its working again. Well thats my machine with WQHD and "first version of normal Prema Bios" before there was the special QHD+ variant. Maybe i flash to the latest WQHD. But its all working flawless for me - only this ASPM bugs me.

Can I also connect 3 external monitors for 1 hdmi and 2 display ports ?

I have radeon card but I do not have chance to check if it work to have total all 4 screens.

And next questions :

1. - Hotkey app is better in P170SM-A or make many problems like this one in P170SM ?

2. - "-A" models have more dependance from hotkey app or it is no difference ?

3. Can I force by bios to use Radeon for any graphic task ?

Can someone answer for my P170SM questions? :D

idk regarding monitors on this model. Maybe check the manual?

ftp://sftp.clevo.com.tw/USRMANUAL/P1xxSM/EUM_W81.zip

Hotkey App of SM-A model doesn't work on SM (non-A) model. They use a different ITE EC chip version and thus have more flexibility in keyboard backlights for example.

This is the latest hotkey for your model: ftp://ftp.clevo.com.tw/P1xxSM/OTHERS/Hotkey_W81.zip

You can force it only via driver, not via BIOS.

Great work Prema. Hope I can make cheeky request to mod latest bios for W350ST, according to W35xST/W37xST Series there is newer bios.

Not worth the time, just read the changelog...

BACO (Bus Active Card Off) keeps the dGPU bus active instead of being fully disabled. This allows the EC to still receive temperature readings and not getting stuck on full FAN after a gaming session when the dGPU gets disabled. (Also helps with some Linux distros to not loose the dGPU)

BTW:

GTX980M & GTX970M work on all SM and SM-A models. Happy now? :)

BACO (Bus Active Card Off) keeps the dGPU bus active instead of being fully disabled. This allows the EC to still receive temperature readings and not getting stuck on full FAN after a gaming session when the dGPU gets disabled.

(Also helps with some Linux distros to not loose the dGPU)

So - I should stay with default or change to Baco mode? :)

I would like to have fun running after close a game - to make graphic card lower temperature :)

You would make new bios for P170SM to support 980M - or it is unnecessary ?

I put that switch there only to disable it. Not sure what the benefit is to keep booth GPUs on. More heat, less battery. Maybe interesting if you use something like MVP...

I put that switch there only to disable it. Not sure what the benefit is to keep booth GPUs on. More heat, less battery. Maybe interesting if you use something like MVP...

MVP make Windows BSOD :(

It is normal that BACO mode make GPU led always on ?

Prema - can You say something about this :

1. Baco make dGPU led always on ?

2. Can I use subwofer without Sound Blaster software ?

3. If fan for dGPU only work when graphic is used ?

4. Which additional options are recomended by You to set up in bios - after set up everything to defaults ?

Thank You :)

Hey Prema, can you please answer these two small general questions for me?

Of course it's important to keep the ME firmware settings of each Clevo series when updating it. If you update it via Windows, the FWUpdLcl tool automatically keeps your old OEM settings and just updates the version. So after that, I run MESET.exe to override the flash descriptor and used the fptw64 -D command to dump my whole updated bios. I checked it with FITC and the updated ME + OEM settings are there.

1. This dumped bios is now ready for other same series laptops as well, right? It should be the stock one with fully updated ME firmware + Clevo OEM specific settings for it.

2. I already flashed the latest EC, does this dump also include it? I mean, can this dumped bios be used to update both BIOS & EC for someone else?

Hey Prema, can you please answer these two small general questions for me?

Of course it's important to keep the ME firmware settings of each Clevo series when updating it. If you update it via Windows, the FWUpdLcl tool automatically keeps your old OEM settings and just updates the version. So after that, I run MESET.exe to override the flash descriptor and used the fptw64 -D command to dump my whole updated bios. I checked it with FITC and the updated ME + OEM settings are there.

1. This dumped bios is now ready for other same series laptops as well, right? It should be the stock one with fully updated ME firmware + Clevo OEM specific settings for it.

2. I already flashed the latest EC, does this dump also include it? I mean, can this dumped bios be used to update both BIOS & EC for someone else?

1. Depending on model this backup also contains system specific values like the MAC address, serial number, OEM licenses etc, but yes it can be used to flash identical systems.

2. Until EM series it will also contain the EC. Clevo changed the ITE chips from SM/ST/SS series onward and the EC is now hosted directly in the ITE controller chip as well as on co-lays chips (depending on specific model, some contain also 2 EC chips).

I have a W25HN series laptop with ITE IT8518E.

2. If I am not mistaken the EM series are mid-2012 laptops so I should be ok since mine is from early-2011. I guess there is no AMI tool to check that.

1. My BIOS is from Clevo's ftp so I doubt it included any serial number nor OEM licence since it's a stock bare flash image. LAN Mac address, I don't know. Should the last one concern me? :P

Btw, at afudos /shutdown why do you add "%1 %2 %3 %4"? I checked the AFU guide and couldn't find it there. I am asking these because I am making a modded bios for my laptop series as you may have already understood.

Prema - can You say something about this :

1. Baco make dGPU led always on ?

2. Can I use subwofer without Sound Blaster software ?

3. If fan for dGPU only work when graphic is used ?

4. Which additional options are recomended by You to set up in bios - after set up everything to defaults ?

Thank You :)

1. Because it's powered

2.Only on old HM series

3. Fan doesn't shut down if temperature didn't reach shut off value before being disable under dGPU power off mode. Under BACO it acts according to temperature.

4. That's totally up to your usage scenario.

I have a W25HN series laptop with ITE IT8518E.

2. If I am not mistaken the EM series are mid-2012 laptops so I should be ok since mine is from early-2011. I guess there is no AMI tool to check that.

1. My BIOS is from Clevo's ftp so I doubt it included any serial number nor OEM licence since it's a stock bare flash image. LAN Mac address, I don't know. Should the last one concern me? :P

Btw, at afudos /shutdown why do you add "%1 %2 %3 %4"? I checked the AFU guide and couldn't find it there. I am asking these because I am making a modded bios for my laptop series as you may have already understood.

Yes that BIOS has the EC integrated.

If you use an fpt ME/BIOS dump to flash other systems they will all get your MAC address, serial header data etc and loose theirs. The BIOS dump also contains your specific NVRAM data. A regular BIOS has a clean NVRAM table.

We don't use dumps to make mods except for using them on our very own system or to help revive killed BIOS chips with a programmer.

The 1 2 3 is to delay shutdown to make sure the BIOS and EC flash doesn't end abrupt.

If you use an fpt ME/BIOS dump to flash other systems they will all get your MAC address, serial header data etc and loose theirs. The BIOS dump also contains your specific NVRAM data. A regular BIOS has a clean NVRAM table. We don't use dumps to make mods. Only to revive killed BIOS chips.

Thank you for your help Prema. :)

Yes, it makes sense. I was also told my someone else experienced to never do that. I will do it manually on top of the stock BIOS. If you want to do something like that, at least do it right! Although, I am wondering how to merge the EC with the BIOS now. Previously I did that by dumping the whole image. Maybe I'll have to do a MESET.exe batch script first as well too.

Thank you for your help Prema. :)

Yes, it makes sense. I was also told my someone else experienced to never do that. I will do it manually on top of the stock BIOS. If you want to do something like that, at least do it right! Although, I am wondering how to merge the EC with the BIOS now. Previously I did that by dumping the whole image. Maybe I'll have to do a MESET.exe batch script first as well too.

You can not merge the EC manually with Tools that's done in the hex of a disassembled BIOS file.

Meset is only needed if you want to alter ME settings and write an entire ME image with FPT, not for a simple ME update with FWUpdLcl.

Meset is only needed if you want to alter ME settings and write an entire ME image with FPT, not for a simple ME update with FWUpdLcl.

I know that. What I meant was simply put: bios with old ME version --> update ME version to latest inside bios --> deploy to others via image file (no FWUpdLcl via Windows). If I understood correctly even at that case MESET is not needed BUT if you change ME settings (overclocking, tweaks) that change clevo default options --> MESET batch needed for end-user. Did I understand it properly?

• Guest changed the title to [BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock
  • Guest locked this topic
  • Brian unpinned this topic