[BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock

Hi Prema,

Question about setting the HDD password in your v1 BIOS for W230ST: if I have two disk drives in my W230ST, and I go to set the HDD password in BIOS, will your v1 BIOS apply that HDD password to both disks, or just the boot disk? Or will it let me choose which disk I want to apply the password to?

Hi Prema,

Question about setting the HDD password in your v1 BIOS for W230ST: if I have two disk drives in my W230ST, and I go to set the HDD password in BIOS, will your v1 BIOS apply that HDD password to both disks, or just the boot disk? Or will it let me choose which disk I want to apply the password to?

We tested with SSD and mSATA and it would only set it for the SSD.

We tested with SSD and mSATA and it would only set it for the SSD.

May I ask how many characters the HDD password allows? Once you enter a HDD password, do you then have to reenter it again for each boot? Do you know if entering a password wipes the SSD drive?

Regarding the HDD password not working with the mSATA, could this be because the mSATA disk you had does not support HDD password?

I have it set to custom already but there is not a setting to change it from 2 to 1! Any other advice? Also is there any known way of setting the PCI Express to 3.0?Many thanks.

Sorry, what did you set to custom?

PCIe is limited for power consumption as the card won't breach its current limit anyway.

May I ask how many characters the HDD password allows? Once you enter a HDD password, do you then have to reenter it again for each boot? Do you know if entering a password wipes the SSD drive?

Regarding the HDD password not working with the mSATA, could this be because the mSATA disk you had does not support HDD password?

It will ask for HDD/SSD Password on each boot. I don't know about characters, it took all passwords that we tried.

Entering a wrong password will not allow you to access the drive and thus to boot, it will also look after a few tries until a reboot, but won't get locked permanently.

Please follow the Tutorial for setting and re-setting HDD/SSD Passwords:

http://biosmods.wordpress.com/tutorials/

Sorry, what did you set to custom?

PCIe is limited for power consumption as the card won't breach its current limit anyway.

It will ask for HDD/SSD Password on each boot. I don't know about characters, it took all passwords that we tried.

Entering a wrong password will not allow you to access the drive and thus to boot, it will also look after a few tries until a reboot, but won't get locked permanently.

Please follow the Tutorial for setting and re-setting HDD/SSD Passwords:

Tutorials | Prema Mod

Thank you kindly for the link. It's a bit unclear: does the User Password have to be the same as the HDD Password?

Also, do you know if creating a password wipes the existing data on the drive?

Thank you kindly for the link. It's a bit unclear: does the User Password have to be the same as the HDD Password?

Also, do you know if creating a password wipes the existing data on the drive?

No,the passwords can be different, this step is just required for a proper "Password State Refresh".

It won't effect data on the drive, just the access to to it will be blocked if the password is not known.

Prema, could you please upload the new stock 1.03.xx Bios and EC for the haswell lineup? P150SM etc...

The updates are a mess, I won't upload anything that I haven't verified and simplified...

Thanks for the help. I tried it out and it was just like you said, it only encrypts the SATA3 attached disk, not the mSATA disks. Maybe the newer 1.03 BIOS allow this.

We may have to wait a while till we find out, my W230ST boards EC is bricked because the EC contained in the BIOS is unused on these systems and it is instead hosted inside the Keyboard Controller itself, and not as described in the Service Manual on the KBC_SPI, just because Clevo decided to save the money for it.

So to answer all the requests for a Modded EC for Haswell, "Forget about it"! I need to buy a new motherboard. :23_002:

Sorry, what did you set to custom? PCIe is limited for power consumption as the card won't breach its current limit anyway.Tutorials | Prema Mod
Sorry my bad, I've set the memory to custom but cannot change CMD rate from 2 to 1.Also I'm not sure what you mean by limited for power consumption, I was under the impression that the x79 chipset is pcie 3.0 but on my p570wm it only runs at 2.0.

Well, I guess you have to start a W230ST motherboard fundraising, since you doing it for the community. We're many ready to help!

THX man!

I am trying to source a board atm...I am living way out in the middle of nowhere, but have people coming over soon, just maybe a bit too soon...

Sorry my bad, I've set the memory to custom but cannot change CMD rate from 2 to 1.Also I'm not sure what you mean by limited for power consumption, I was under the impression that the x79 chipset is pcie 3.0 but on my p570wm it only runs at 2.0.

Oh I assumed you have an other model. Please always tell me your model and BIOS/EC again as I can't keep track...

Yeah, on P570WM the stock BIOS only runs it at 1.1 speed, I was able to push it to 2.0 in the Mod but the BIOS base is missing the required code for 3.0...if the next update has it then we push it further.

What file is the vbios for my laptop? And this is a bios for the whole system or for the GPU? My model is Sager NP9380-S.

Thanks.

These are BIOS Mods for the whole system. For the W-series they also incl. vBIOS Mods.

The vBIOS that fixes the issues on your system is discussed here.

The CMD Command rate (which may be T1 or T2) is the time it takes between when the signal is given to select the memory chip to be used (can be any of the chips within each memory bank) and the beginning of a read cycle of the memory chip. T1 means that this time it only takes 1 clock cycle and 2T takes 2 clock cycles.

1T is typically ~4-5% faster than the same memory/speeds at 2T.

If 1T fail the notebook will start? Or i will need to do BIOS RECOVERY?

These are BIOS Mods for the whole system. For the W-series they also incl. vBIOS Mods.

The vBIOS that fixes the issues on your system is discussed here.

Right, can I flash the vbios for the system (like motherboard for desktop PCs?) and also use the vbios for the GPU in which fixes the flickering/black screen problem?

And sorry but I didn't understand which vbios is for my model on that list. Thanks for the support, Prema.

Hey! i have these versions atm.

MB Series: W150ER

BIOS version: 1.00.03

KBC/EC Firmvare Rev.: 1.00.02

Should and how can i update my BIOS before using your mod?

No need to update to stock in your case, you can directly use the Mod.

If 1T fail the notebook will start? Or i will need to do BIOS RECOVERY?

Worst case scenario you boot with one stick to flash T2 version as one stick runs T1 anyway. ;)

Right, can I flash the vbios for the system (like motherboard for desktop PCs?) and also use the vbios for the GPU in which fixes the flickering/black screen problem?

And sorry but I didn't understand which vbios is for my model on that list. Thanks for the support, Prema.

There is no BIOS Mod published for your model yet... ;)

Should and how can i update my BIOS before using your mod? This is compatible?

Sager NP 9150

MB Series: P150EMx

BIOS version: 1.00.04LS1

KBC/EC Firmvare Rev.: 1.00.05SA

Yes you can directly use the Mod (Only P1x0EM Systems, which are on BIOS/EC v3 or lower need to update to stock v4 first)

... ;)

You mean doing recovery procedure?

Anyone know if 1T command rate works with four 4Gb Samsung M471B5273DH0-CK0 modules?

No I mean that you can't brake your system at all, just boot with one RAM module and flash T2 if T1 is too tight for your RAMs.

As I said in the OP, I made the T2 only for people who want to overclock their RAM to 2133Mhz or push higher clocks with 32GB of RAM.

Normal user won't need T2 at all.

Just curious what the before and after effect of the W230ST mod is on the OC limits of the GTX765m.

I never bothered to OC mine until after I got the new BIOS (which is fantastic, btw), so I'm curious what I gained.

One thing I did right away was to get rid of hyperthreading. I need to do a more rigorous analysis, but I recall this really helping with temps on my Sandy Bridge-based desktop.

Just curious what the before and after effect of the W230ST mod is on the OC limits of the GTX765m.

I never bothered to OC mine until after I got the new BIOS (which is fantastic, btw), so I'm curious what I gained.

One thing I did right away was to get rid of hyperthreading. I need to do a more rigorous analysis, but I recall this really helping with temps on my Sandy Bridge-based desktop.

Without Mod you can raise the Core Frequency only up to a maximum of 135Mhz.

• Guest changed the title to [BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock
  • Guest locked this topic
  • Brian unpinned this topic