[BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock

Just check the F2 BIOS menu. If it says "P1xSM" or "P1xSM-A" on its main page.

Thank you so much. It says P17SM-A

Now one more question: Has anyone here seen random thermal shutdown events on either a Sager NP8278 or a similar Sager system? I have had the CPU and the MB replaced just last week but this problem is still happening. Most often than not, It tends of happen when the system has been in sleep or hibernation for a set amount of time. I get a beeping error, the fans kick in to max and the 3 indicators on the LED panel start flashing together. Despite the fans running at max speed, the system shuts itself down after about 30 seconds. This is actually the reason I am here as I suspect that this may potentially have to do with the EC and the temperature or fan tables. In fact, when I just got into BIOS to check my MB version, the problem happened and the laptop shutdown. After the laptop is shut down, it's OK until it goes back into sleep after being turned back on. As opposed to shutting down, rebooting the laptop doesn't fix it. This actually has been happening for a long time and I noticed it occasionally happening when opening up a game for the first time. When the game is opened, the alarm kicks in. If you quickly close the game and get back to the Windows desktop with no other apps running, the alarm stops. At that point, you can restart the computer but when it restarts, trying to launch the game usually causes the same problem. Instead, if you simply do a shutdown, the problem is resolved (until laptop goes back into sleep).

After having gone through 2 MBs and 2 CPUs with this problem, I figure the problem is most likely BIOS related. Especially considering the fact that temps are not abnormal when the thermal shutdown process is in effect (all cores around 50C).

Hi Prema,

I've seen a youtube video of someone running your beta Custom Bios for the W650SJ Laptop.

does this bios have fan curve adjustment as thats the only thing I want to change?

If so I'd be willing to donate if you could provide me with it?

Thanks

Hi Prema,

I've seen a youtube video of someone running your beta Custom Bios for the W650SJ Laptop.

does this bios have fan curve adjustment as thats the only thing I want to change?

If so I'd be willing to donate if you could provide me with it?

Thanks

I have just uploaded the Mods for W650SJ/W670SJ to the OP.

ENJOY! :)

I have just uploaded the Mods for W650SJ/W670SJ to the OP.

ENJOY! :)

Woooop! Sent you a little donation :) Now to just post 5 times..

Hmm.. I've just downloaded, installed and got your modded bios working.. But I don't see any settings for changing the fan profile?

https://youtu.be/qHyYBm__WyI?t=52s

Is this an extra mod someone else has installed or?

Woooop! Sent you a little donation :) Now to just post 5 times..

Hmm.. I've just downloaded, installed and got your modded bios working.. But I don't see any settings for changing the fan profile?

https://youtu.be/qHyYBm__WyI?t=52s

Is this an extra mod someone else has installed or?

He added a LOT of non-working and dangerous (read: bricking) stuff.

The FAN stuff he has there does nothing as FAN control is all in the EC not the BIOS.

Also use the Mod with latest Clevo HotKeyApp for better FAN behavior:

Serv-U

Hi Prema ! :D

Have you an approximate date for the release of BIOS modded for Clevo P7XXDM -G ?

The future... :D

Hi, Prema~Recently I found something wrong with my Clevo P370SM. It seems like a bug that if I press Fn+1 to turn on COOL FAN mode, then press them again for turning off it, but it turns out that I can only turn off COOL FAN mode of primary graphics card fan and CPU fan with ancillary graphics card fan still in COOL FAN mode.Unless I reboot my laptop, the COOL FAN mode of ancillary graphic card would be open all the time.

Could you please give me some advice?

Plus I use 970m SLI.

Thank you for attention!:look_down:

Hi, Prema~Recently I found something wrong with my Clevo P370SM. It seems like a bug that if I press Fn+1 to turn on COOL FAN mode, then press them again for turning off it, but it turns out that I can only turn off COOL FAN mode of primary graphics card fan and CPU fan with ancillary graphics card fan still in COOL FAN mode.Unless I reboot my laptop, the COOL FAN mode of ancillary graphic card would be open all the time.

Could you please give me some advice?

Plus I use 970m SLI.

Thank you for attention!:look_down:

You could try things like reflashing the EC and cleaning the FAN/GPU contacts.

Thank you so much. It says P17SM-A

Now one more question: Has anyone here seen random thermal shutdown events on either a Sager NP8278 or a similar Sager system? I have had the CPU and the MB replaced just last week but this problem is still happening. Most often than not, It tends of happen when the system has been in sleep or hibernation for a set amount of time. I get a beeping error, the fans kick in to max and the 3 indicators on the LED panel start flashing together. Despite the fans running at max speed, the system shuts itself down after about 30 seconds. This is actually the reason I am here as I suspect that this may potentially have to do with the EC and the temperature or fan tables. In fact, when I just got into BIOS to check my MB version, the problem happened and the laptop shutdown. After the laptop is shut down, it's OK until it goes back into sleep after being turned back on. As opposed to shutting down, rebooting the laptop doesn't fix it. This actually has been happening for a long time and I noticed it occasionally happening when opening up a game for the first time. When the game is opened, the alarm kicks in. If you quickly close the game and get back to the Windows desktop with no other apps running, the alarm stops. At that point, you can restart the computer but when it restarts, trying to launch the game usually causes the same problem. Instead, if you simply do a shutdown, the problem is resolved (until laptop goes back into sleep).

After having gone through 2 MBs and 2 CPUs with this problem, I figure the problem is most likely BIOS related. Especially considering the fact that temps are not abnormal when the thermal shutdown process is in effect (all cores around 50C).

Prema, I would like to officially thank you as your BIOS appears to have solved my issue! I haven't gotten a single thermal alarm/shutdown since the BIOS flash. I think it was specifically the EC update that did the trick (and I used the cool fan option rather than silent - which I personally think is still relatively silent).

Now with all the new options available in BIOS, I wish there was a guide to tweak everything to optimal values. :)

Hi, @Perma. I have a P770ZM, and I am using your wonderful BIOS. I recently installed a Samsung SM951 NVMe in the M2 slot with 4 PCIe lanes. I have seen many posts with sequential read benchmarks approaching 2000 MBs using AA SSD. However, I am only seeing around 1350. Is there a setting in the BIOS that I should tweak to improve the throughput?

Thanks much!

W James

How do I make the P750ZM recognise the nvme drive in PciE x4 slot please? Plugged in the 950 Pro today but could not see it anywhere in BIOS. All SATA slots are showing blank even though the drive is plugged in (I'm certain it is the right slot). I'm using the latest PremaMod, all default settings right after flashing. Just plan to install fresh Windows. Thank you.

How do I make the P750ZM recognise the nvme drive in PciE x4 slot please? Plugged in the 950 Pro today but could not see it anywhere in BIOS. All SATA slots are showing blank even though the drive is plugged in (I'm certain it is the right slot). I'm using the latest PremaMod, all default settings right after flashing. Just plan to install fresh Windows. Thank you.

On my m5 pro it shows up as an off board controller in the UEFI/Bios. You should not see it in the SATA section as its a PCIx device so that part is ok. Make sure CSM is disabled in bios and windows 8/10 should be able to see the drive

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you Prema for your work.

I'm planning to update the bios in my Clevo W150ERQ and have two questions:

1. What is the difference between the "OV" and non "OV"? (W150ER_16_09_PM_v3_1920x1080_OV.rar or W150ER_16_09_PM_v3_1920x1080)

2. In the bios downloads above there is nothing in the README.txt file. It is just blank. Should there be instructions in there?

(I thought I posted this earlier but it didn't come through, sorry for the double post if it shows up.)

I'm getting ready to update the bios in my W150ERQ, in preparation for upgrading the CPU.

What is the difference between the "OV" and non-OV versions? Which should I install?

Also, when I download the Prema bios there is nothing in the README.txt file. It is just blank. So what are the instructions for flashing the bios W150ERQ? Thanks!

Hi, @Perma. I have a P770ZM, and I am using your wonderful BIOS. I recently installed a Samsung SM951 NVMe in the M2 slot with 4 PCIe lanes. I have seen many posts with sequential read benchmarks approaching 2000 MBs using AA SSD. However, I am only seeing around 1350. Is there a setting in the BIOS that I should tweak to improve the throughput?

Thanks much!

W James

Update the NVMe driver?

Just load setup defaults and it should be P'n'P...

Thank you Prema for your work.

I'm planning to update the bios in my Clevo W150ERQ and have two questions:

1. What is the difference between the "OV" and non "OV"? (W150ER_16_09_PM_v3_1920x1080_OV.rar or W150ER_16_09_PM_v3_1920x1080)

2. In the bios downloads above there is nothing in the README.txt file. It is just blank. Should there be instructions in there?

(I thought I posted this earlier but it didn't come through, sorry for the double post if it shows up.)

I'm getting ready to update the bios in my W150ERQ, in preparation for upgrading the CPU.

What is the difference between the "OV" and non-OV versions? Which should I install?

Also, when I download the Prema bios there is nothing in the README.txt file. It is just blank. So what are the instructions for flashing the bios W150ERQ? Thanks!

1. OV = GPU overvolted

2. You probably used the wrong password to unpack the archive which results in all files to be zero bytes and empty

Thanks for your reply, @Prema. Sorry I misspelled your name in the last post. :)

I have played with a few different NVMe drivers: the Samsung drivers (version 1.4.6.7 and "rev10"), the default Microsoft Windows 10 driver, and the Intel drivers (versions 1.1.0.1004, and 1.3.0.1007). The performance with the Intel 1.3.0.1007 driver was horrendous - definitely geared only towards the Intel SSDs. The Intel 1.1.0.1004, Microsoft, and rev 10 Samsung drivers all had similar performance. However, the older 1.4.6.7 Samsung driver provided slightly better performance, so I am sticking with it for now.

While the SM951 NVMe performance appears mostly limited by the 4 lane version 2.0 PCIe, I also found that the CPU clock and memory timings affect the benchmarks, so I am also running with somewhat more aggressive settings. With the older Samsung NVMe driver and the tighter settings, my AA SSD sequential read benchmark increased from about 1350 MBs to about 1450 MBs.

As more and more NVMe SSDs are released, I will watch for different drivers and see if any increase my benchmarks. For now, I believe I am probably about maxed out.

Thanks again for your feedback, @Prema.

Hi Prema

Thanks for this great piece of work, seems like a lot of folks are having the same heat problems I'm having and I'm looking forward to giving the BIOS a go once I have been around the forums for a while. Once I use them and no doubt get good results I'll be sure to donate :)

Cheers

First off, thanks Prema for providing these bios!

I just flashed the OV bios for my Clevo W150ERQ and it's great. The computer has an i7-3630QM CPU and Nvidia GeForce GT 650M GPU. After flashing the bios, the CPU temp seems slightly higher at idle than before, (55C vs. 53C). The GPU seemed about the same (around 41C). I downloaded the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and ran a benchmark. The test showed a maximum temp of 92C without any attempt at overclocking.

I would like some guidance regarding what temperature is safe and what is dangerous. What is the maximum temp I should avoid?

Is there anything else I need to do in the BIOS to play with GPU voltages and overclocking the CPU?

First off, thanks Prema for providing these bios!

I just flashed the OV bios for my Clevo W150ERQ and it's great. The computer has an i7-3630QM CPU and Nvidia GeForce GT 650M GPU. After flashing the bios, the CPU temp seems slightly higher at idle than before, (55C vs. 53C). The GPU seemed about the same (around 41C). I downloaded the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and ran a benchmark. The test showed a maximum temp of 92C without any attempt at overclocking.

I would like some guidance regarding what temperature is safe and what is dangerous. What is the maximum temp I should avoid?

Is there anything else I need to do in the BIOS to play with GPU voltages and overclocking the CPU?

The increase in temperature comes from the Mod enabling CPU Turbo while the dGPU is used. Without the Mod the CPU Turbo switches off as soon as the dGPU switches on.

Temps in the early/mid 90s are still OK-ish for IV/SB CPUs...

I have noticed that every time I shut down the computer and completely power off, when I start the computer the bios flash screen always says something like "resuming from hibernation". Is this normal? On the other hand if I choose restart instead of shutdown I don't get the "resuming from hibernation" message.

I have noticed that every time I shut down the computer and completely power off, when I start the computer the bios flash screen always says something like "resuming from hibernation". Is this normal? On the other hand if I choose restart instead of shutdown I don't get the "resuming from hibernation" message.

Newer Windows versions default to standby instead of shutdown. You can set it to do a proper shutdown in Windows Power Options Advanced Tab. ;)

Hi Prema, I posted my notebook problem in notebookreview.com and got your reply to one of my posts. Since I haven’t seen you active in the P770ZM owners’ thread there for sometime, I am posting here:

I have a P770ZM with AMD 8970M GPU. The display brightness controls are not working. Control Center crashes everytime I open it. Even the Windows brightness controls are not available. I should also mention that the notebook BIOS doesn't detect the AMD card. The system and the GPU work fine though, except for the display brightness issue.

That card will work just fine except for screen brightness control (needs manual registry tinkering).

The BIOS won't show the proper name, but that's just cosmetically.

While trying to find a fix to the problem, I stumbled on this post. As you mentioned there that if the screen internal firmware can't interface with the EC then things like brightness control won’t work. I have an IPS panel (LP173WF4 SPD1) on my P770ZM. The current BIOS version of the system is 1.03.14 and EC version is 1.03.09 (latest). Even if I upgrade to the latest BIOS version 1.03.15, the EC version will remain unchanged and that won’t fix the problem.

Do you have any suggestion? Could you please provide an EC version update which can fix the brightness problem? Alternatively, it would also be a great help if you could tell what registry tweak needs to be done.

Hi just flashed prema bios mod and wanted ask about this cool and silent fan profiles. I thought silent fan profile would be better but it is not really silent. So there is a way to change this without flashing prema bios again ?

Thanks in advance.

• Guest changed the title to [BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock
  • Guest locked this topic
  • Brian unpinned this topic