[BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock

I know that. What I meant was simply put: bios with old ME version --> update ME version to latest inside bios --> deploy to others via image file (no FWUpdLcl via Windows). If I understood correctly even at that case MESET is not needed BUT if you change ME settings (overclocking, tweaks) that change clevo default options --> MESET batch needed for end-user. Did I understand it properly?

If you flash a regular ME update via FPT the system will brick as the ME is a general base and has not been designed/brought up for this specific system.

MeSet is the software that disables the Chips protection.

After that FPT overwrites the entire chip with whatever you tell to flash. It would even write a jpeg into the ME/BIOS chip.

If you want to update the ME and preserve system specific settings use FWUpdLcl (there is also a DOS version).

If you flash a regular ME update via FPT the system will brick as it has not been designed for this system. MeSet is the software that disables the Chips protection.

After that FPT overwrites the entire chip with whatever you tell to flash. It would even write a jpeg into the ME/BIOS chip.

If you want to update the ME and preserve system specific settings use FWUpdLcl (there is also a DOS version).

Prema I have confused you apparently. I have already done that. My Clevo is already updated to the latest ME using FWUpdLcl. I know that FTP writes everything whereas FWUpdLcl just updates the ME version while keeping the settings intact. What I am trying to do is insert the regular updated ME in the stock BIOS and create a ready-to-be-flashed file by anyone with the same series without them needing to use the windows FWUpdLcl ME flasher. Basically I want to deploy this to others. Personally, I'm updated! ;)

Sorry for the confusion

Prema I have confused you apparently. I have already done that. My Clevo is already updated to the latest ME using FWUpdLcl. I know that FTP writes everything whereas FWUpdLcl just updates the ME version while keeping the settings intact. What I am trying to do is insert the regular updated ME in the stock BIOS and create a ready-to-be-flashed file by anyone with the same series. Basically I want to deploy this to others. Personally, I'm updated! ;)

Sorry for the confusion

And I just told how to do that and how not to do that for others...use a regular ME update file with FWUpdLcl same way you did it for yourself.

Making an all in one file isn't required and not something you just do...every single setting has to manually be ported and the ME specially designed for that system.

You can't use a dump and you would waste your time learning how to use Intel Tools if all you want to do is a simple ME update.

use a regular ME update file with FWUpdLcl same way you did it for yourself.

I finally understood what you meant all this time. I have seen at other mods (& yours of course) updated ME firmwares inside the bios file and I wanted to do the same.

EDIT:

Making an all in one file isn't required and not something you just do...every single setting has to manually ported and the ME specially designed for that system. You can't use a dump and you would waste your time learning how to use Intel Tools if all you want to do is a simple update.

Yes, I am willing to go the extra mile. In general I don't want to just request something. I like to also learn something in the process. And no I won't use the dump, that was a silly idea due to not being experienced. I know a lot of stuff about computers, just not bios modding. I'm trying to learn the basics. ;)

1. Because it's powered

2.Only on old HM series

3. Fan doesn't shut down if temperature didn't reach shut off value before being disable under dGPU power off mode. Under BACO it acts according to temperature.

4. That's totally up to your usage scenario.

So dGPU power off mode - is better because fan work when it is nessesery - right?

And even if we will play game and close - it will protect dGPU from heating gpu (big temperature - right?)

GPU fan will stop adjusting once dGPU is disabled. If this happens while FAN speed is high it won't spin down, except in BACO mode or if we manually force FULL FAN and then switch it back off.

If your GPU FAN keeps adjusting automatically in non BACO mode it means that another app still keeps using it.

GPU fan will stop adjusting once dGPU is disabled. If this happens while FAN speed is high it won't spin down, except in BACO mode or if we manually force FULL FAN and then switch it back off.

If your GPU FAN keeps adjusting automatically in non BACO mode it means that another app still keeps using it.

Is any program which show fan rpm ? :)

Hay all,

Just noticed the P370SM3 V2 mod and am DLing now.

Oh and will one of these days donate for the efforts, Talents and skillz of the modders that have fixed manufacturer bugs in every submission.

If I haven't donated something soon hassle me through my email:)

Hei Prema,

Is there anyway to make the W230SS fan increase/decrease on a curve? It seems to only currently have three speeds: off, vacuum cleaner exhaust, and 747. A curve would be a 100 times better.

Hi

Does anyone here know if the 980m will work in P570WM 4960x - at the moment I am stuck with 880m's in SLI - over throttling is a huge issue - open 20-30 webpages and this thing dies in the proverbial - NVidia driver crashes - I was hoping that Prema or some other of you Gurus here may know the answer...

Hi

Does anyone here know if the 980m will work in P570WM 4960x - at the moment I am stuck with 880m's in SLI - over throttling is a huge issue - open 20-30 webpages and this thing dies in the proverbial - NVidia driver crashes - I was hoping that Prema or some other of you Gurus here may know the answer...

We haven't tried it, yet...

@ALL I need a P1xxSM-A user to dump its BIOS for me to help recover someones board. PM me please! THX! :)

gee, the users are keeping u pretty busy here prema :D i think its time i take a looksy looksy around here, since NBR seems awfully quiet these days...

ill surely be back in this thread soon for a potential P6xxSx bios mod :D

keep up the good work buddy and dont let urself be stressed too much ;)

since the bios update (Prema Mod FN + 1) - on my Clevo P 170EM - no longer correct key assignment!

FN + ESC - broken

FN + F12 (Bluetooth) = broken

everyone else broken !!!!

what can I do?

You could try to read the text right above the download button on the blog and flash the correct version for your keyboard layout? :P

P170SM - will support Haswell refresh and later broadwell ?

New clevo models will have soldered cpu and gpu ? :(

All socketed Haswell should work. There won't be any non ULT (low voltage) Broadwell before Q3 next year, so yeah... ;)

So, I am looking into embedding an updated ME into the bios but I'm facing a weird "glitch". Normally this is done by taking the Intel production 1.5MB image, opening it with FITC, changing OEM settings, clocks etc and then replacing the original using a hex editor. However, I am trying to find a way to bypass using FITC v7.1.20.1197 to rebuild the ME since I've read that it rebuilds broken images resulting in bricks. That only leaked version is flawed when it comes to 6-series systems unfortunately. So I followed another procedure that I thought and should in theory work (two times using different methods to make sure):

1. Updated ME to 7.1.60.1193 with FWUpdLcl (it updates version while keeping OEM settings)

2. Run MESET to overwrite the flash descriptor and reboot (constant full fan speed -> this way I know it's overwritten)

3. Run ftp -D DUMP_BIOS.bin

4. Shutdown to reset flash descriptor

HEX Editor Method:

5. Open DUMP_BIOS.bin with HxD hex editor

6. Find the beginning of ME which is 20 20 80 0F 40 (near KRID text) and click before 20 (for me that's at offset 1000)

7. Edit > Select block and change Length to 17D000

8. Right click > Copy , New file , Right click > Paste Write (ignore the file-size warning)

9. Save as ME_EXTRACTED_HEX.bin

10. Open STOCK_BIOS.bin and ME_EXTRACTED_HEX.bin with HxD hex editor

11. Select ME_EXTRACTED_HEX.bin, Right click > Select all

12. Select STOCK_BIOS.bin , find the beginning of ME (20 20 80 0F 40) and click before 20

13. Edit > Select block and change Length to 17D000

14. Right click > Paste Write (the changed ME region is now in red color)

15. Save as STOCK_BIOS_ME_71601193_HEX.bin (stock bios + updated ME + OEM settings *)

UEFITool Method:

5. Open DUMP_BIOS.bin with UEFITool

6. Go to ME Region (make sure size is 17F000 and version 7.1.60.1193)

7. Right click > Extract as is and save as ME_EXTRACTED_UEFITool.bin

8. Open STOCK_BIOS.bin with UEFITool

9. Go to ME Region (it should report a size of 17F000 and an older ME version)

10. Right click > Replace as is and select ME_EXTRACTED_UEFITool.bin

11. At Action tab the old ME is set to Remove whereas the new ME is set to Replace (both sizes must be 17F000)

12. Save image file as STOCK_BIOS_ME_71601193_UEFITool.bin (stock bios + updated ME + OEM settings *)

* In my case I don't have to manually set the OEM settings (using the broken FITC) since I used a DUMP of my own bios (which already includes the appropriate settings) for the purpose of using it at same series models from Clevo. Otherwise more steps are needed when you don't have access to a dump of the system to be updated.

Note: UEFITool extracts the whole ME Region (length 17F000 or 1.532KB) and not just ME (length 17D000 or 1.524KB)!

I did it with both methods and these are the results:

STOCK_BIOS_ME_71601193_HEX.bin (SHA-1: 620D1BB96683C23DE3098E4F569709AD83EC780B)

STOCK_BIOS_ME_71601193_UEFITool.bin (SHA-1: 620D1BB96683C23DE3098E4F569709AD83EC780B)

The files are identical so in theory I did everything properly. However, after the flash when I restore default bios settings this happens:

X96fS2.jpg

It happens on the fly. If I save the settings after that, it gets stuck like this which means you cannot boot from anything except CD/DVD's. To fix it, I have to restore the default ME and reflash the EC & BIOS with three consecutive commands. It has to be ME/FPT related since I never had problems with the modified BIOS itself. After some tests I concluded that it has nothing to do with my modded BIOS but entirely with the updated ME inside it. I tested both StockME+StockBIOS & StockME+ModdedBIOS. As long as the ME was not updated the weird problem was never appearing.

For the record, I have found a way more elegant solution which does not require FPT or MESET. I can use the DOS version of FWUpdLcl with the v7.1.60.1193 ME Update (1.3MB file). It works like a charm. But, I still don't understand what it is I did wrong when manually inserting the dumped ME, causing the boot order issue. I'm thinking it has something to do with the ME coming from a dump.

• Guest changed the title to [BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock
  • Guest locked this topic
  • Brian unpinned this topic