[BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock

LOL...Nope!!! Take this as an indication (read comment section fore more)

The Myth

As for warranty it depends on your re-seller, some support the use of the mods, some officially don't but won't void your warranty if you still do and then some even tell you that you will loose your warranty if you change the CPU on your own... ;)

well.. knowing i could flash back makes it better.

The reseller is PowerNotebooks, but given that i should be able to flash back, perhaps it isn't much of an issue either way. Besides, i love the idea of better performance.. :)

@Prema I'm still using a version 14 BIOS but changing TDP in XTU does nothing. It does properly read TDP though. I always use throttlestop to set TDP.

@Blair I've found the 170 BIOS to turn the fan on at ~60C and not turn it off until 40C. The fan has a hard time getting below 40C on slow so the CPU fan is on most of the time even at idle. When checking temps you may have checked a bit after it did manage to drop below 40C so the fan was off.

I really don't care about idle temps. 60C is just as harmless as 40C. Load is what matters.

So, i went ahead and flashed it last night.. and while it does feel more responsive, I can't help but feel my GPU is running hotter (unless i FN+9 it). Can any tweaks be made to the fan speeds (i know this is an EC function)? I would kill for fan control in Afterburner, but no such luck.. :(

If you change the TDP in XTU make sure to delete the ThrottleStop.ini file so ThrottleStop re-reads the data from the system or it will just display the value stored in the ini file...

So, i went ahead and flashed it last night.. and while it does feel more responsive, I can't help but feel my GPU is running hotter (unless i FN+9 it). Can any tweaks be made to the fan speeds (i know this is an EC function)? I would kill for fan control in Afterburner, but no such luck.. :(

There really is no problem with your GPU running hotter. Can you quantify the difference?

If you change the TDP in XTU make sure to delete the ThrottleStop.ini file so ThrottleStop re-reads the data from the system or it will just display the value stored in the ini file...

There really is no problem with your GPU running hotter. Can you quantify the difference?

Sure - where gaming before could push it to say, 83-84, now it has peaked at 90 (same overclocks, clean air vents)...

So you can conform that XTU does indeed change the TDP value?

Prema there is your answer.

Okay I installed the Prema magic - is there a guide somewhere or some pro tips to overclocking the 3740qm? Also, how sensitive is it's temperature? Like will there be a general overclock I can just keep or something I have to monitor being I am on a notebook? (First time doing all this jazz to a laptop!).

Thanks!

It's a good idea to do so. Explained the functionality 4 posts above yours. ;)

You mean P-HM?! ;)

YES P-hm.

I test 170HM does not support 4 2133

Currently only two 2133

4 1866

Will @ Prema can lift this restriction HM.

Thank you very much!

ps:

Will Cpu Voltage (1/256), how to set? Set how much?

post-6621-14494994627491_thumb.jpg

It's a good idea to do so. Explained the functionality 4 posts above yours. ;)

You mean P-HM?! ;)

post-6621-14494994627669_thumb.jpg

Can these transplanted to P170HM.

I can help you refresh try ...

post-6621-14494994627833_thumb.gif

Hi @Prema!

I also want to ask you which option controls the temperature at which cpu frequency declines in hm model bios?

This option can be controlled?

I want to turn off or set.

...Thanks!

So you can conform that XTU does indeed change the TDP value?

Prema there is your answer.

No, I havent tested it myself, but I do know that ThrottleStop stores TDP values in it's ini file (for example if you change it in TS then TS will re-apply your values regardless of what the hardware defaults to) In order to make TS READ from the hardware, you need to clear the ini file.

I do intend on testing this out.. I just have been really busy, and have not done so yet.

Sure - where gaming before could push it to say, 83-84, now it has peaked at 90 (same overclocks, clean air vents)...

The mod changes nothing regarding the GPU, maybe your overall systems body is getting hotter as the CPU as more time to Turbo...

Okay I installed the Prema magic - is there a guide somewhere or some pro tips to overclocking the 3740qm? Also, how sensitive is it's temperature? Like will there be a general overclock I can just keep or something I have to monitor being I am on a notebook? (First time doing all this jazz to a laptop!).

Thanks!

You need to use Intel XTU Utility. It will allow the multi for your CPU to be raised by 4.

YES P-hm.

I test 170HM does not support 4 2133

Currently only two 2133

4 1866

Will @ Prema can lift this restriction HM.

Thank you very much!

It doesn't support 2133Mhz as JEDEC only via XTU and XMP and I think I tested 4x4GB 2133Mhz and it worked fine...but I can't work on that feature anymore as at least one (or even two) of my Kingston PnP 1866Mhz are broken...

ps:

Will Cpu Voltage (1/256), how to set? Set how much?

Don't do that in BIOS use XTU

Can these transplanted to P170HM.

I can help you refresh try ...

Yes most of those EM tweaks will be part of the HM versions and then some 'real hacks'... ;)

Hi @Prema!

I also want to ask you which option controls the temperature at which cpu frequency declines in hm model bios?

This option can be controlled?

I want to turn off or set.

...Thanks!

It's all in the EC...

Perma could you enable XTU on a p150em bios keeping the P150EM EC and ill test for you please?

Is it even possible to even make a cpu go turbo all the time like Throttlestop though a keyboard shortcut?

Prema i have your bios in my p170em works awesome but my k3000m's temps keep going up and up without the fan turning on i bring it down fast when i turn the fans to max with FN+9 but it will go back up when i turn them off any ideas?

Perma could you enable XTU on a p150em bios keeping the P150EM EC and ill test for you please?

Is it even possible to even make a cpu go turbo all the time like Throttlestop though a keyboard shortcut?

Why not have shortcut to do that in TS then? ;)

Prema i have your bios in my p170em works awesome but my k3000m's temps keep going up and up without the fan turning on i bring it down fast when i turn the fans to max with FN+9 but it will go back up when i turn them off any ideas?

That's Clevos latest EC, I changed nothing regarding Fan Open & Fan Close values.

The mod changes nothing regarding the GPU, maybe your overall systems body is getting hotter as the CPU as more time to Turbo...

You need to use Intel XTU Utility. It will allow the multi for your CPU to be raised by 4.

It doesn't support 2133Mhz as JEDEC only via XTU and XMP and I think I tested 4x4GB 2133Mhz and it worked fine...but I can't work on that feature anymore as at least one (or even two) of my Kingston PnP 1866Mhz are broken...

Don't do that in BIOS use XTU

Yes most of those EM tweaks will be part of the HM versions and then some 'real hacks'... ;)

It's all in the EC...

Thank you for the enthusiastic reply!

I guess being able to tweak that is out of the realm of possibility?

Can't really play with it on a system that I don't own and which doesn't have the BIOS chip on a socket, to easily recover from bricks during development...

You should add description for P151EM, it´s not Fn + 9 but in fact Fn+1.

Rocking a P151EM with 7970, 3940XM, 32GB DDR3 1866, 256 SSD Samsung PRO and a HCG display, i´m available for any testing you need :P

Ooops...let me check my files...I have done too much stuff recently and having all the files on a 11" screen doesn't really provide a good overview... ;)

Why not have shortcut to do that in TS then? ;)

That's Clevos latest EC, I changed nothing regarding Fan Open & Fan Close values.

Cause i always like to have the least amount of software running things?

Is it possible at all is all im asking, getting anywhere with the p150em XTU BIOS?

So I used Intel XTU and pushed everything up 4 - everything seems smooth as butter. Hottest temp I have seen with benchmarks or stress tests is about 79C. So that seems great! Thanks Prema! But I have more questons! And don't worry, I will send some beer change your way soon! Just waiting on PayPal to correct an eBay issue - the ticket got closed today so I should be set soon =)

Anyway, the values don't seem to be loaded on startup and I see no option to set that. With it running at that temp, I feel safe keeping it there. So is there a way to load the OC values on boot?

Has anyone messed with ram overclocking any?

and last but not least...I am not familiar with things like Turbo Boost Power Max and Turbo boost short power max. there is also the time limit, voltage, core current limit...is there any reason to change any of these values? I have only overclocked an old Q6700, i5-2500k, and i7 2600k desktop processor So this is a learning experience! So if there are any tweaks laying around out there that anyone has advice on, shoot them my way! Sager NP9370 is my poison...

I just tried double tapping Fn+9 multiple times to stop the fans spinning up and the max temp my CPU got up to was 59 degrees.

If there is even a slight possibility of being able to change the CPU fan table so that the fan only comes on once the CPU hits 60 degrees I'd be all over it.

That would mean a silent system browsing the web.

Dear Prema,

Thanks a lot for your great work.

No ploblem in my PC now.

I'll get Kingston DDR3-2133 and try it soon.

[Model]

P170EM

[CPU]

Core i7 3820QM 4.1GHz

[RAM]

Corsair DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1T

[internal Storage]

Plextor PX-256M5P*2 RAID0

Plextor PX-128M5M

HGST 7200rpm 1TB

[VGA]

NVIDIA GTX680M with svl7 modBIOS 1000MHz/1250MHz