[BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock

17 minutes ago, CROSSFIREGTI said:

Thanks man as always from NBR to T.I. PREMA to the rescue!!!

somehow I cant download nothing from here because a message jumps and tells me that I'm not qualify?!? :-(

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/announcement/4-user-account-promotion-rules-read-before-posting/

TL;DR stick around, post some more and you'll be promoted with download privileges before you know it! ;)

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/19/2016 at 1:50 AM, xarmius said:

I tried changing it on the control panel but still some programs run with the intel graphics processor instead of the dGPU

Oh, welcome to Optimus, where enthusiasts retch and average joes claim "no problems here!" every day.

Try manually adding the .exe to NCP and forcing it individually to use your dGPU. Should work.

I find it funny, I had to do a similar thing for GPU-Z with SLI. Those fools want the PCI/e render test to be fullscreen so SLI/CrossfireX can work, except that SLI works in windowed mode, and fullscreening it didn't automagically make SLI work, so I had to add GPU-Z to NCP and force SLI on it... but then the test uses SLI in windowed mode >_<. Really, you'd think people would get their act together when they're such prominent program vendors or websites in the tech industry...

I tried to no avail. about 99 percent will run the intel vs the dgpu.  Games like no man's sky won't even start up because it fails to detect the GPU.  Oddly enough space engineers will detect it and run with the 970m card.  I will give it to the end of the week and revert back to the stock 675m card on the p150em.

HELP - EMERGENCY!   BLACK SCREEN on P170SM (except in Safe Mode), but I know Win7 is otherwise running fine (except I can't see anything)

I don't know where else to ask; this forum (I've lurked here for ages and learned much) has the most knowledgeable experts, especially Maha-Guru Prema-ji :sorcerer: .

I've a P170SM 32Gb Windows 7 Ultimate and NVIDIA GeForce GTX780M. I didn't have any demanding games, so only the Intel HD Graphics 4600 was being used.

The original Clevo-supplied BIOS didn't allow hyperthreading (which is counterproductive for the main use I have for the laptop) to be switched OFF, so, two years ago and using a Rufus-prepared USB stick, I successfully flashed the laptop with the P170SM Prema Mod v2 BIOS. I then switched hyperthreading off and left everything else default. All worked great.

The first problem (which I could live with):

A few weeks ago I tried to install DOOM 4, which reported the laptop graphics were wholly inadequate. DOOM didn't "see" the GTX780M, even though Win7 Device Manager reported the GTX780M fitted and having 'no problems' (further, DM showed no problems with any device)

I then found that right-clicking on the Win7 desktop did NOT offer any NVIDIA options (it did use to) but only Intel 4600 ones. Also, invoking the NVIDIA panel in the Control Panel resulted in an error message like this display is not connected to an NVIDIA device.

Trying to fix this relatively minor problem:

I guessed some NVIDIA update of past years (they'd all been uneventful, each apparently completing normally) had screwed things up, so, cleaning up using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)  each time, I tried installing different, earlier NVIDIA drivers, as the internet suggested doing. These didn't fix it.

SFC, Win7 diagnostics (got via F8-spamming) and several other utilities reported no errors.

De / reinstalling the Intel HD 4600 graphics driver, resetting the BIOS with F3, even disconnecting the system backup battery for 30 seconds (no battery or PSU connected), didn't fix the issue.

Guessing - solely on the basis of what others who'd reported a similar problem had discovered, it seemed possible the fault might be in wrong hardware ID numbers within .INF files, though I don't know how it could have happened.

Now, the MAJOR PROBLEM comes about:

I didn't try to solve this minor (I can live without Doom) issue because the laptop still had limited support from its supplier, whom I contacted a few days ago.

A  B...I...G  mistake...  :-(

They ran a remote diagnostic utility session, putting them in command of my laptop over the internet. Over an hour they then remotely re-did most of what I'd already done (e.g. with graphics drivers and DDU), uploaded some files (chipset, Intel HD4600 etc. related), did some deinstalls/installs and finally ran a program from tweaking.com which required a reset after it terminated.

On rebooting, it got to the usual Windows 7 startup screen - the four coloured objects whirl and fuse as normal - but that is then replaced by a black screen and it stays blank forever.

No cursor.

All the things they tried (in Safe Mode) to fix this had no effect. They were certain the problem was software only.

They then found I'd got a modded BIOS in the P170SM, and so washed their hands of the problem that THEY had caused...

And that problem still remains today, though I've torn my hair out trying to fix it (see below).

So, I can only use Win7 in Safe Mode, where I can set the resolution to the native 1920x1080, but where I can't do much of my work due to Safe Mode restrictions.

I know it's "just" the display that's not working - Win7 is otherwise booting successfully. How am I so sure about that? Because I can hear all the right clicks/tunes and see the HD LED activity finally ceasing, all while the screen stays black. Also, because I can press ("blind") ALT/F4 + <Enter>, and the laptop will exit Win7 and shut down. Finally, because I wrote a little, beeping, batch file to run right at the end of Win7 startup, and this program audibly executes.

So everything is working, but I cannot see it. I don't have access to an external monitor.

Device Manager shows zero problems and lists both the graphics cards (but status is not available in Safe Mode), with the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 shown first.

Safe Mode works as I would expect it to (alas, no sound, but I think that's expected in Safe Mode).

Trying to fix this MAJOR PROBLEM:

What I've already tried to fix it, without success, is:

* All the things I'd tried above to solve the minor problem, including no end of deinstalls, DDUs, reinstalls, diagnostics, system battery disconnects, etc.

* Restart using last known good configuration and from earlier System Restore points.

What I have not tried is to re-flash the BIOS (either reinstalling Prema Mod v2 or reverting to the original, which I've downloaded from the unofficial Clevo archive and hope is OK) as that seems irrelevant. Also, I've not done much with selective startup (in MSCONFIG) because the problem is obviously display-related.

Please help me, I'm desperate. I'm very good at following instructions and am software-competent (assembly-language programmer).

You will get heartfelt thanks and blessings, expressed both in English and Hindi.

Thanks!!

Edited by p170sm_user
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hello All, Master @Prema,

I got my p170em back from Clevo service because my MB died. Actually I had a 980m mxm graphics, and was pretty pleased with it, but after a normal run (1 or 2 hours of gpu intensive game), I switched the laptop off and it never get back to life. Not even a led, just a spark noise when I connect the power supply without battery - that was still good.

I sent it to clevo service that diagnosed a dead MB. They charged me for replacement (I wasn't under warranty anymore), and reinstall everything back.

They tested the 980m and the orginal 675mx under linux, and saw sometime some artifacts on the 980m, but it was working. They put the 675mx back and I now would like to get the 980m back.

This board has the good vbios, but I don't remember if I need a specific bios. Currently it has the latest clevo bios, but I remember I replaced it, but don't remember if it was mandatory to use the 980m... Someone can tell me?

Thx

On 9/27/2016 at 11:22 AM, greg_p said:

This board has the good vbios, but I don't remember if I need a specific bios. Currently it has the latest clevo bios, but I remember I replaced it, but don't remember if it was mandatory to use the 980m... Someone can tell me?

Thx

Yes, you need the latest Prema bios or you won't be able to use the 980M.

On 9/27/2016 at 10:56 AM, p170sm_user said:

-snip-

- Try uninstalling all GPU drivers and then booting into windows normally. It should work just like in safe mode. If it doesn't, Windows is probably your problem.

- Try using a second monitor as well.

- What in the world do you do where hyperthreading is COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE? I cannot imagine any situation as such.

- Have you attempted reinstalling windows?

- You should take that company to court for causing damage to your system and refusing to fix it. Whether or not they axed your warranty doesn't matter; they broke your system and then left it.

- Your 780M might have problems. The fact that you didn't notice you couldn't use your dGPU means it might have been dead for ages and you didn't realize.

- There is no .inf issue because 780Ms were what sold with the machine. You aren't using an upgraded GPU so it doesn't matter.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 29/09/2016 at 5:56 PM, D2ultima said:

(1) Try uninstalling all GPU drivers and then booting into windows normally. It should work just like in safe mode. If it doesn't, Windows is probably your problem.

(2) Try using a second monitor as well.

(3) What in the world do you do where hyperthreading is COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE? I cannot imagine any situation as such.

(4) Have you attempted reinstalling windows?

(5) You should take that company to court for causing damage to your system and refusing to fix it. Whether or not they axed your warranty doesn't matter; they broke your system and then left it.

(6) Your 780M might have problems. The fact that you didn't notice you couldn't use your dGPU means it might have been dead for ages and you didn't realize.

(7) There is no .inf issue because 780Ms were what sold with the machine. You aren't using an upgraded GPU so it doesn't matter.

Thanks, D2ultima.

Using the same numbering:

(1) While in Safe Mode, I've deinstalled all GPU drivers, cleaned up (Nvidia + Intel) with DDU, and rebooted into Windows normally. Always ends up with black screen, some SSD activity but ultimately ALT/F4 + Enter reboots (so, I conclude Windoze has fully loaded, but I just can't see it.)

(2) A 2nd monitor will be tried - I will look out for cables

(3) Chess analysis (involves a lot of integer maths).  4 physical cores outperform 8 virtual cores by about 25%,, as the task doesn't parallelise all that well.

(4) No, but I shall, as almost a last resort. ANY PARTICULAR TECHNIQUE SUGGESTED?

(5) Good idea. I will phone them again and mention this possibility...

(6) Could well be, except that about 2 months back I was aware the Nvidia Control Panel was responsive.

(7) Understood, thanks.

(8, new) Any advantage in my reflashing to the original, Clevo-shipped BIOS?  I think not, but you know more than I do.

4 hours ago, p170sm_user said:

(1) While in Safe Mode, I've deinstalled all GPU drivers, cleaned up (Nvidia + Intel) with DDU, and rebooted into Windows normally. Always ends up with black screen, some SSD activity but ultimately ALT/F4 + Enter reboots (so, I conclude Windoze has fully loaded, but I just can't see it.)

(2) A 2nd monitor will be tried - I will look out for cables

(3) Chess analysis (involves a lot of integer maths).  4 physical cores outperform 8 virtual cores by about 25%,, as the task doesn't parallelise all that well.

(4) No, but I shall, as almost a last resort. ANY PARTICULAR TECHNIQUE SUGGESTED?

(5) Good idea. I will phone them again and mention this possibility...

(8, new) Any advantage in my reflashing to the original, Clevo-shipped BIOS?  I think not, but you know more than I do.

- If safe mode works and normal mode does not, it heavily suggest that some driver or something that is loading with windows that does not normally load is causing a problem. I suggest going into safe mode and doing a "clean boot"; disabling everything except microsoft services and your wifi. See if you get into windows proper. All I know is if safe mode works, normal mode should work.

- Good, though I think it's your windows install.

- That's a pretty unoptimized program then. However you can just probably use Process Lasso and limit it to 4 threads alone without killing HT permanently.

- Backup your stuff and install fresh normally.

- Good. Don't let companies do this kind of crap. It's one thing if they break warranty because of Prema mod, but breaking your PC and then leaving it alone is shit.

- I doubt it.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, D2ultima said:

- If safe mode works and normal mode does not, it heavily suggest that some driver or something that is loading with windows that does not normally load is causing a problem. I suggest going into safe mode and doing a "clean boot"; disabling everything except microsoft services and your wifi. See if you get into windows proper. All I know is if safe mode works, normal mode should work.

- Good, though I think it's your windows install.

- That's a pretty unoptimized program then. However you can just probably use Process Lasso and limit it to 4 threads alone without killing HT permanently.

- Backup your stuff and install fresh normally.

- Good. Don't let companies do this kind of crap. It's one thing if they break warranty because of Prema mod, but breaking your PC and then leaving it alone is shit.

- I doubt it.

Thanks so much. In a couple of days I'll be going to where I've got my Win7SP1 disk stored, and I'll pick it up.

Just so that I know exactly what you mean by: "doing a "clean boot"; disabling everything except microsoft services and your wifi" in Win7SP1, this is what I think you want me to do is:

In MSCONFIG, select and apply the "Diagnostic startup - Load basic devices and services only" setting. This enforces a "Selective Startup" with no startup items selected and with only the following services enabled:

- Group Policy Client

- RPC Endpoint Manager

- Task Scheduler

I've tried doing this before and it still stays stuck on the Win7 logo screen. I will do it again shortly and report back with a bootlog file.

Meanwhile, here is the content of ntbtlog.txt from a recent normal startup (having previously removed both Nvidia and Intel Iris GPU drivers and DDU'd, so pre-boot devmgmt.msc showed 2 "Standard VGA Graphics Adapters"). This, as usual, stays stuck on the Win7 logo screen:

Service Pack 1 date/time
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\hal.dll
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\kdcom.dll
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\PSHED.dll
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\CLFS.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\CI.dll
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\Wdf01000.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\WDFLDR.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\ACPI.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\WMILIB.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\msisadrv.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\pci.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\vdrvroot.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\iusb3hcs.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\partmgr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\compbatt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\BATTC.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\volmgr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\volmgrx.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\mountmgr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\atapi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\ataport.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\msahci.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\PCIIDEX.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\amdxata.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\fileinfo.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\msrpc.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\ksecdd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\cng.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\pcw.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fs_Rec.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\ndis.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\NETIO.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\ksecpkg.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\tcpip.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\fwpkclnt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\vmstorfl.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\volsnap.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\spldr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\rdyboost.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\mup.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\hwpolicy.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\fvevol.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\disk.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\cmderd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\cmdguard.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Null.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Beep.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\RDPCDD.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\rdpencdd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\rdprefmp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Msfs.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Npfs.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\tdx.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\cmdhlp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\afd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\netbt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\wfplwf.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\pacer.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\vwififlt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\bflwfx64.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\inspect.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\vpcnfltr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\netbios.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\wanarp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\vpcvmm.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\termdd.sys
Loaded driver C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASKUTIL64.SYS
Loaded driver C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASDIFSV64.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\nsiproxy.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mssmbios.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\discache.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\csc.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\dfsc.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\blbdrive.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\avkmgr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\avipbb.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\tunnel.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\vgapnp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\HDAudBus.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\iusb3xhc.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\HECIx64.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\1394ohci.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\RtsBaStor.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\Rt64win7.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\Ak27x64.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\vwifibus.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\wmiacpi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\intelppm.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\CmBatt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\CompositeBus.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\AgileVpn.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rasl2tp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ndistapi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ndiswan.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\raspppoe.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\raspptp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rassstp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rdpbus.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\serscan.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\swenum.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\umbus.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\vpcusb.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\vpchbus.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbhub.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\HdAudio.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\iusb3hub.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\RTKVHD64.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\MBfilt64.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\monitor.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\luafv.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\avgntflt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\WudfPf.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\WinUSB.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\hidusb.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mouhid.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\point64.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\WinUSB.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\WUDFRd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\lltdio.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nwifi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ndisuio.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rspndr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\vwifimp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\HTTP.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\bowser.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\mpsdrv.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb10.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb20.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\avnetflt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\peauth.sys
Loaded driver \??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\speedfan.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srvnet.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\tcpipreg.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv2.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\asyncmac.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\avgntflt.sys

[END OF ntbtlog.txt FILE]

I added some highlighting.

Unfortunately, I don't have any bootlog old enough to predates the problem, to compare this with, so I don't know what would normally come next after the failed second load attempt (it would fail because it is already loaded) of avgntflt.sys (a component of the Avira AV system).

Since what is coming next that is causing the hang (I think) I've googled to see what drivers normally come immediately after the second attempt to load avgntflt.sys (which is quite normal behaviour shown by thousands of bootlogs which continue uneventfully).

Having invested an hour with Google Search, the usual ones which immediately follow avgntflt.sys(2) in the boot sequence are: srv.sys, peauth.sys, mpsdrv.sys, lltdio.sys, mbam.sys, ipnat.sys and secdrv.sys (each occasionally comes immediately after avgntflt.sys(2)).

The first four have been loaded already and are in ntbtlog.txt. mbam.sys, an anti-tamper driver from malwarebytes, doesn't occur on my system. That leaves ipnat.sys and secdrv.sys, each of which is capable of causing hangs. I've done a filename change on secdrv.sys (I'm blocked from changing the name of ipnat.sys) and will see if there's any change in boot behaviour.

Thanks. I wonder if this helps:- Google found two other people whose Win7's did not boot (left the screen blank, or frozen on the logo) and for whom the last line in their bootlog was also "Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\avgntflt.sys":

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/369425-Stuck-with-black-screen-of-death

(... a very interesting thread)

http://www.pctipp.ch/forum/showthread.php?29934-Hilfe-Windows-7-Startprobleme

(I can see from his other posts he resolved the problem but there's no detail how)

========

UPDATE

Hiding ipnat.sys and secdrv.sys didn't change the boot behaviour.

I now installed the Intel HD4600 graphics driver and rebooted normally, ending up with a black screen.

The bootlog was a little longer, to reflect the Intel graphics.

It added:

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\igdkmd64.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\IntcDAud.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbccgp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\usbvideo.sys

and subtracted (omitted):

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\HdAudio.sys

and ended with:

Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\avgntflt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\monitor.sys

I noticed that the usbccgp.sys and usbvideo.sys drivers are apparently successfully loaded twice. So is WinUSB but that was also loaded twice in the bootlog from before the Intel HD4600 driver install.

Summary: I'm none the wiser - but could this be a clue to someone more knowledgeable?

Edited by p170sm_user

Spoiler

Greetings, everyone. A question to @Prema or other bios tech savvy forumites.

I've got a Clevo W370SS laptop with a GTX 860M videocard and an i7 4700MQ CPU. It is also known as Sager NP7378, DEXP Ares 101, and DNS Extreme 0802876. The former two brand names are used in the Russian market.

Basically, my problem was the laptop's slight overheating when I played a not so demanding game (PoE) at low-medium video settings.

I wanted to underclock the powerful 860M 60 Watt GPU and perhaps the CPU as well to make it heat less. And yes, I'm all very new to all these vBios mod matters.

So, I decided to explore Prema mod's features and just followed the instructions from his website on wordpress, installing W370SS Prema Mod v1.

Half way through BIOS updating I got these messages and the process froze. The same problem was reported by Nicholas at the Premamod website so I borrowed his shot illustrating the problem.

After waiting for some 20 minutes I shut down the laptop and then pulled out the CMOS battery to reset BIOS. I'm not really sure whether the laptop had been temporarily bricked before I reset BIOS.

Then the laptop started no problem and I accessed Prema BIOS mod's settings and modified some of them all right, so the BIOS seems functional.

Now I really wonder

1. What might have caused the freezing during BIOS update? I followed Prema's instructions thoroughly, and Nicholas had had the same problem, too. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but he's also using the Russian version of this laptop.

2. Was the Prema BIOS update actually successful despite the freezing? If it wasn't, how do I complete the update or run a fresh update? Also, is there a newer (v2 or v3) version available that would suit my Clevo?

3. Can I underclock my GPU and/or CPU using Prema's BIOS? I failed to find these features in the mod.

It might have been a silly experiment, but Prema's enthusiastic effort on BIOS modding are very much appreciated, the BIOS offered by DEXP is extremely limited.

Thanks in advance for any help!

froze.jpg

So, Prema's response was as follows:

1 & 2:

It didn't freeze for Nicholas!
His previous/existing vBIOS already was a factory brick (which he apparently didn't even notice) and flashing the Mod actually recovered it. ;)

The W370SS series also had some factory BIOS problems on older revisions, which lead to the hanging in your case.
Since you are updated now you are on a golden version and it can no longer happen. ;)

3:

You can now e.g disable cores, Turbo, hyper-threading, underclock the CPU in the the 'CPU Configuration' section of the BIOS.
To underclock the GPU you can use the software NVIDIA Inspector.

ENJOY! :)

Edited by Nabucco
minor brushing of wording

Prema as I can see you don't have an (unlock) modded bios for the good old P150HM like unlock multi for the cpu or memorys?

Flash a P170HM BIOS and use XTU v2.1. ;)

@Prema What version shall I flash in a MSI GT683DXR with a 6GB g-sync 970m?

GTX970M-G_6GB_MXM_ZM_OC_PM or GTX970M-G_6GB_MXM_DM_OC_PM?

Thanks

Depends on the MXM board revision.
Just try it, the wrong version won't flash either way. ;)

9 hours ago, Prema said:

ckk.png

There is no brick risk if I choose the bad one is it?

Edited by hal9000ht

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 1:54 AM, Prema said:

PREMA do I have to flash first the P170HM EC,and then the bios?or go only on the bios of the P170HM?

Edited by CROSSFIREGTI

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2013 at 11:47 PM, Prema said:

Prema Mod™ vBIOS for MXM GPUs

• Power throttle disabled
  • Over-voltage slider enabled and adjusted (up to a maximum of 1.2v)
  • Activated and adjusted thermal slider (to keep it cooler if desired)
  • Core overclock slider limit raised
  • Power consumption meter activated
  • Fixed 3D voltage base-line in order to stabilize OCs and voltage-match both cards in SLI systems (based on average ASIC)
  • Thermal protection @ 92c (once*91c are breached the system throttles volts and clocks in order to protect it)
  • Protection against Furmark and Kombustor GPU burnout (AVOID those software even with stock vBIOS)!

These vBIOS uses stock clocks & average ASIC voltage and also keeps the stock Turbo functionality intact (minus the throttle), unless You decide to overclock/overvolt!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< These vBIOS are designed for (CLEVO) MXM systems >>>

<<< They theoretically work for all MXM versions of the same vRAM capacity >>>

<<< They are NOT compatible with models with soldered GPUs >>>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAXWELL

GTX980M_8GB_MXM_OC_PM

GTX970M_6GB_MXM_OC_PM

GTX980M-G_8GB_MXM_ZM_OC_PM

GTX970M-G_6GB_MXM_ZM_OC_PM

GTX970M-G_6GB_MXM_DM_OC_PM

GTX980M-G_8GB_MXM_DM_OC_PM

DUMPER & FLASHER

NVFLASH_TOOLKIT_x64_PM

Legacy GPUs

GTX485M_P1_085v_089v_103v.rar

GTX580M_P1_080v_085v_092v.rar

GTX675M_P1_080v_085v_092v.rar

ICM (Monitor Color correction Profiles)

ICM LG LP116WH4-SLN2.rar

ICM Chi Mei N133HSE-EA1.rar

ICM LG LP173WF2-TPB1.rar

PREMA I download the bios you have here for my GTX 580M,and the version with the oc .92v,i flash it and it give me a black screen with a flashing red line on the top of my screen....BUT,when I connect the DVI port from my P150HM laptop to my external screen it works!! The same goes for all the bios you have in the file including the stock one.....so I flashed back the one I had before, from the vga bios collection TECHPOERUP.so did I did any mistake on flashing the bios or something else?

Thanks!!

Edited by CROSSFIREGTI

Hi @Prema,

I have a P170EM with a 970m running your premamod v2 (Driver 353.54 I believe). Upgrading to the Win10 Anniversary update breaks the detection of the card. Is there a specific way I should go about this? I've tried modded .inf drivers with no avail and keep reverting back the anniversary update to use the card. Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Guest locked this topic
  • Brian unpinned this topic