[BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock

In a word. No.

More detailed answer - if you can get the heat under control, you can raise the TDP and current limits until they don't throttle anymore. Realistically, that's not possible without serious hard mods of the machine and liquid ultra. If you set your TDP to 90W and give it 150A, most 4940MX chips with do between 4.1GHz and 4.2GHz on stock voltage, however, they will run into the 90s and be at risk of throttling due to thermals at 95C. Liquid ultra can help but only so much and some loads will still blow past that 90W limit which will cause it to throttle and if you're going to raise the TDP that high, you might want to consider a second PSU and the converter box to run 660W to it, especially true if you plan to overclock the graphics card at all.

What I found is that setting my chip to 80W TDP and 4.1GHz with 150A current limit will result in me averaging 3.9GHz under heavy load (the stock behavior of my particular CPU is to fall down to 3.4Ghz with a heavy load) and between 4 and 4.1GHz with gaming. This required liquid ultra and resulted in average load temps of 89C.

Right now I'm just running it stock with an 85mv undervolt for 3.6GHz under load... Liquid ultra is a pain in the ass and not worth the risk to my machine. Basically, the 4940MX is a huge waste of cash in the SM-A. The only machine that seems to be able to handle them properly was the Alienware 18.

Useful info, thanks :)

On P6 you will have to use Intel XTU for voltage adjustments, but using the Mod will give you more options in XTU to do so. ;)

Thank you. Two additional q's:

1) is there a way to apply XTU settings on every boot automatically?

2) After vBIOS upgrade while using 3d apps the GPU fans will often get stuck at a low level and the GPU will overheat causing either a driver or an OS crash. Right after reboot when the GPU drivers finish loading the fans then kick into high gear. Any ideas on how to fix/prevent this?

Thanks!

Thank you. Two additional q's:

1) is there a way to apply XTU settings on every boot automatically?

2) After vBIOS upgrade while using 3d apps the GPU fans will often get stuck at a low level and the GPU will overheat causing either a driver or an OS crash. Right after reboot when the GPU drivers finish loading the fans then kick into high gear. Any ideas on how to fix/prevent this?

Thanks!

1. XTU writes directly to the BIOS. The settings are written after the first full shutdown. If they are deemed stable they will stick during the next boot.

Once that is complete you can even uninstall XTU and they will remain in BIOS until a BIOS reset or load of defaults.

2. Use the BIOS Mod to set "Advanced" > "Switchable Graphics" > "PX 5.0 Mode" to "BACO" and the FANs will spin properly according to dGPU temperature even after it enters lowest power state.

(Also use ClevoHotKeyApp to set the system to "Entertainment" mode when full power is not needed in order to keep the system cooler)

1. XTU writes directly to the BIOS. The settings are written after the first full shutdown. If they are deemed stable they will stick during the next boot.

Once that is complete you can even uninstall XTU and they will remain in BIOS until a BIOS reset or load of defaults.

OK, I must be doing something wrong:

• I start CPU-Z it shows max multiplier at 36
  • I start XTU, CPU-Z now shows multiplier at 38 same as in XTU
  • I exit XTU. CPU-Z still shows 38
  • I do a full shutdown of the laptop
  • I turn the laptop on and start CPU-Z once it boots. CPU-Z still shows multiplier at 36 until I start XTU again.

2. Use the BIOS Mod to set "Advanced" > "Switchable Graphics" > "PX 5.0 Mode" to "BACO" and the FANs will spin properly according to dGPU temperature even after it enters lowest power state.

(Also use ClevoHotKeyApp to set the system to "Entertainment" mode when full power is not needed in order to keep the system cooler)

Unfortunately this did not work for me. I ran Firestrike benchmark after this BIOS change and it still crashed once GPU temp reached 96°C. GPU fans were on but stayed at low during the entire time.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

OK, I must be doing something wrong:

• I start CPU-Z it shows max multiplier at 36
  • I start XTU, CPU-Z now shows multiplier at 38 same as in XTU
  • I exit XTU. CPU-Z still shows 38
  • I do a full shutdown of the laptop
  • I turn the laptop on and start CPU-Z once it boots. CPU-Z still shows multiplier at 36 until I start XTU again.

Unfortunately this did not work for me. I ran Firestrike benchmark after this BIOS change and it still crashed once GPU temp reached 96°C. GPU fans were on but stayed at low during the entire time.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

1. You are not only starting XTU, but actually applying the setting, right?

Are you sure you are doing a full shutdown? Windows 8+ defaults to standby or deep sleep. You can change that in Windows Power Settings under the Advance tab. (You can set multiplier also directly in BIOS btw, no need for XTU for that)

2. I misunderstood your problem...that sounds like Clevo HotKeyApp preventing the FANs from working. Uninstall it, reboot and see if they spin properly.

Then install it fresh without using custom FAN profiles.

1. You are not only starting XTU, but actually applying the setting, right?

Are you sure you are doing a full shutdown? Windows 8+ defaults to standby or deep sleep. You can change that in Windows Power Settings under the Advance tab. (You can set multiplier also directly in BIOS btw, no need for XTU for that)

I'm using windows 7 and I tried both - start menu shutdown and command line "shutdown -s -t 0" If I do the multiplier directly in BIOS then yes it does work, however I also undervolt the CPU (by -75mV) in XTU and there are no settings for that in the BIOS so I would prefer that XTU settings would persist. :)

2. I misunderstood your problem...that sounds like Clevo HotKeyApp preventing the FANs from working. Uninstall it, reboot and see if they spin properly.

Then install it fresh without using custom FAN profiles.

Uninstalling HotKey fixed the issue. Thank you!

More info: So anything I can directly set in PremaMod BIOS does persist across reboots. But the outlined settings in yellow have to be applied on every boot since I cannot set them in BIOS.

post-35238-1449499983753_thumb.jpg

Try to use an older XTU version...

EDIT: Actually if you are using Windows in UEFI mode it prevents these settings from being permanently written to BIOS.

You need to install Windows in Legacy mode in order for XTU changes to be 'permanently' in BIOS.

Actually if you are using Windows in UEFI mode it prevents these settings from being permanently written to BIOS.

You need to install Windows in Legacy mode in order for XTU changes to be 'permanently' in BIOS.

Good to know that. I'm not ready to reinstall windows however so I'll just live with it. :ambivalence:

Try to use an older XTU version...

EDIT: Actually if you are using Windows in UEFI mode it prevents these settings from being permanently written to BIOS.

What? My XTU settings have always been permanent unless the system goes unstable and crashes and I have used UEFI the whole time. Never had an issue with it sticking, even without changing 8.1's default boot and shutdown behavior. My understanding is that XTU interfaces directly with the Intel management interface. Unless that's a secure boot issue? I don't use secure boot for obvious reasons.

@Ethrem your system comes with an XTU BIOS interface which works a s a proxy for the NVRAM. P6 and W-series don't have that and XTU seems unable to reach NVRAM unless Legacy mode is used.

I would be happy to be proven wrong but I can only test on W230SS, where XTU settings didn't stick either unless XTU was started again.

@Ethrem your system comes with an XTU BIOS interface which works a s a proxy for the NVRAM. P6 and W-series don't have that and XTU seems unable to reach NVRAM unless Legacy mode is used.

I would be happy to be proven wrong but I can only test on W230SS, where XTU settings didn't stick either unless XTU was started again.

That's crappy of them to take that away. Does your BIOS have voltage offset settings on those machines at least? It would get annoying having to load a profile every time I booted the machine.

Nope, BIOS voltage control is only in SM-A & ZM systems...I'll have to play with BET one day and see what is possible to add...

That's crazy. I guess we have to get desktop CPUs now if we want an enthusiast machine... Well as long as overclocking the video card is still possible... Otherwise enthusiast laptops are gone after the SM-A and ZM. Sad day...

That's crazy. I guess we have to get desktop CPUs now if we want an enthusiast machine... Well as long as overclocking the video card is still possible... Otherwise enthusiast laptops are gone after the SM-A and ZM. Sad day...

Intel won't offer mobile LGA chips for the foreseeable future. But no worries Clevo won't pull an Alienware.

They will continue to offer slim mobile BGA with the P6 series and their refresh.

But at the same time they will follow Intel's desktop CPU upgrade path and continue to offer LGA chips and MXM GPUs in ZM and future models.

Hello,

I have Clevo P150SM-A Barebone laptop,

I want to change my fan speed on HWinfo64 ,but I can't .Because, my computer not allow this.

This guy can change fan speed own laptop in this video ;

How to change fan speed my laptop ?

I can change my fan speed on hotkey program. But Hotkey has limited feature.

I want to change fan speed like this;

CPU,

30-40 C : 1800 Rpm

40-45 C : 2000 Rpm

45-50 C : 2200 Rpm

50-60 C : 2400 Rpm

60-70 C : 2700 Rpm

70-75 C : 2900 Rpm

75-80 C : 3100 Rpm

80-85 C : 3300 Rpm

85-90 C : 3500 Rpm

GPU,

30-40 C : 1800 Rpm

My laptop's fan characteristic is so bad, When i use in idle , laptop works so noisy, sometimes fans are closed for 1-2 minute.

Please help me, what should i do ?

Prema: In MSI AB I currently don't have voltage control or fan control. I figure flashing with the OC 1.1 BIOS will give me access to the voltage. But will it give me access to fan control also? Or is this centrally controlled along with the CPU fan on my X8?

Forgive the noob question but I am new to high power Notebooks

Prema: In MSI AB I currently don't have voltage control or fan control. I figure flashing with the OC 1.1 BIOS will give me access to the voltage. But will it give me access to fan control also? Or is this centrally controlled along with the CPU fan on my X8?

Forgive the noob question but I am new to high power Notebooks

It'll give voltage and temperature control, but not with MSI Afterburner.

We have to use either NVIDIA Inspector or EVGA Precision.

Hi guys i have a sager 9380-s. CPU-Z says its model #P370SM3 it has a 780m in it right now. Is it able to be upgraded to a 980m or 970m? I dont see in post number #3 my model listed. Was going to buy another 780m to SLI with but i think it makes more sense to just sell the one i have and grab a 980M/970M instead. But before i go and do that i just want to make sure it can be done.

I saw this site sells them Laptop Video Cards :: nVidia GTX 980M 8GB Video Card for Clevo Laptops - R&J Technology, Clevo Barebone Notebook kits, Laptop and desktop system builder but my model isnt listed there either. So im kind of confused. Thanks

• Guest changed the title to [BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock
  • Guest locked this topic
  • Brian unpinned this topic