[BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock

isnt there also an option to set that spread spectrum in the premamod bios? maybe one could set it to a smaller calue to have less fluctuations ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes, in fact, there is a spread spectrum option. I repeatedly reduced that value and tested. I found that the spread could be set to 0. However, there apparently is still a little overhead, as my bus speed doesn't quite reach 100 MHz, but 99.8 will do. :)

Thanks again, Jaybee.

I am updating to this. So first I have to update to the latest stock then the prema one? I have a prema bios from last year will anything happen if I update to stock?

You can directly flash the Mods or the stock, it doesn't matter.

However, based upon a recommendation from another 4790k owner in another forum, I disabled virtualization in the BIOS. Presto! My bus speed is now pegged at 99.76 MHz! I have virtualization enabled on my other laptops, and it seems to have little impact, but on this processor (and perhaps all Haswells), the effect is very noticeable.

Its not a Haswell thing it's a Clevo thing. My desktop 4790k is set at 100 BCLK and stays at 4700MHz with virtualization enabled. I can't speak about other laptops but spread spectrum is not enabled by default on my Z87 Maximus VI Formula and doesn't cause any issues. Enabling it will actually make my overclock unstable. Haswell is much more sensitive to core frequency instability than previous chips - my 4.7GHz overclock is totally stable - at 4.7GHz. If I turn on power management instead of high performance, it will BSOD at some point when the clock frequency is going up and down.

@Prema Any word on a vbios that has undervolting on 980M? My cards run on the hot side and undervolting would probably help a lot, especially with my master that does 1321 at 1.062v. Thanks :)

Its not a Haswell thing it's a Clevo thing. My desktop 4790k is set at 100 BCLK and stays at 4700MHz with virtualization enabled. I can't speak about other laptops but spread spectrum is not enabled by default on my Z87 Maximus VI Formula and doesn't cause any issues. Enabling it will actually make my overclock unstable. Haswell is much more sensitive to core frequency instability than previous chips - my 4.7GHz overclock is totally stable - at 4.7GHz. If I turn on power management instead of high performance, it will BSOD at some point when the clock frequency is going up and down.

Yeah, the Clevo and Haswell do seem a bit more touchy with BCLK/bus settings. Have you had any luck changing the BCLK? So far, I haven't been able to adjust it at all.

@Prema Any word on a vbios that has undervolting on 980M? My cards run on the hot side and undervolting would probably help a lot, especially with my master that does 1321 at 1.062v. Thanks :)

Hes working on undervolting on the fly for the next update. Atlhough, I wonder how much these gpus can be undervolted without instability.

should be quite a bit, considering one can overclock stable for like 150-200 mhz at stock voltage and every 50 mhz increment after that needs a steady voltage adjustment. id say -50 to -100 mV is definitely realistic at stock clocks :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

How are people GPU temps with the p650se with the 970m? I'm getting 62 degree celsius max on shadow of mordor, but htwinghut got 55 degree celsius. If I''m not mistaken, that is a pretty decent difference. I mean I guess I have the 4720hq while htwinghut has a 4710hq but still...

seriously? anything below 80 under load is like "who cares?" :D hell, im happy with temps under 90! so yeah, difference between 50s and 60s is negligible...

migh be due to different factors: clocks / voltages on gpu core, machine propped up or not, max fans or auto fans, quality of paste job, type of thermal paste used, ambient temperature...

At least you don't have my machine... I have core throttling on the new drivers despite repasting twice now with GC Extreme. I suppose it's possible my GC Extreme needs to be replaced with a new tube? It's actually running hotter now than the stock cake of IC Diamond they used (and I mean *cake*...)

damn ethrem, do u EVER get lucky with ur hardware? i keep reading those epic fails of yours @ components running super hot, throttling, failing *lol* [emoji14]

Tell me about it........ I checked and the surface contact is perfectly fine so I have no idea what the issue is. I'm not going to mess with it for a few days but when I do I'm going to see if there's any difference using Shin Etsu.

Hi Prema!

I am sorry, maybe this is stupid question, but nevertheless:

is it possible to set fan RPM speed at custom temperature? Let`s say: a new bios menu with 0-10%-20%-...-100% RPM fun speed with number or switch input where you can input custom CPU/GPU temp?

Hi. I have a Clevo w350stq, with BIOS 1.03.03 and EC 1.03.02. I find the fan is consistently working in low speed even if the CPU utilize and temperature are both low. It annoys me all the time.

I don't think you should ever use a W series notebook to overclock. W series is not for professional gaming, and fan doesn't work quite well.

BTW, I bought the same one 1 year ago from Hasee. It works well except the fan randomness. I hope clevo could address this problem ASAP.

Hi. I have a Clevo w350stq, with BIOS 1.03.03 and EC 1.03.02. I find the fan is consistently working in low speed even if the CPU utilize and temperature are both low. It annoys me all the time.

I don't think you should ever use a W series notebook to overclock. W series is not for professional gaming, and fan doesn't work quite well.

BTW, I bought the same one 1 year ago from Hasee. It works well except the fan randomness. I hope clevo could address this problem ASAP.

My friend, I have exactly the opposite problem. I want to make my fan work all the time, so my left hand won't stay on a mini-heatdesk anymore :)

I haven't found anything wrong with W-series. I have W110ER and I am pretty satisfied with it. My fan is working as it should be (I control temperature via Aida64). Below 60 C it doesnt work. Between 60 C and 70 C it works at about 10-20%. Between 70 C and 80 C it works at about 50%. I have never seen it working at 100% except "fn+1" shortcut. And I have never seen my CPU or GPU temp more than 80 C.

Maybe this steps in fun speed are "randomness" you are talking about. Try to control temp of CPU and GPU.

P.S. The REALLY annoying thing in my W110ER is that I can't control fan speed via OS. PCH does not provide this info to the OS. I have "GPU fan speed" sensor but it always 0.

Hi. I read several people in this forum they use your mod with a W650SJ clevo model but it's not on the first post nor in your website (actually there is the page in your website but it says "coming soon". Where can I find it? Thanks in advance

Heya Prema;

I recently acquired a GTX 870m for my NP9130, however it seems that the bios isn't recognizing the VGA card. I've re-seated the card multiple times but it still says in the bios VGA Adapter - Empty.

Is this a bios related problem (i.e. the bios doesn't recognize the card because it cannot) or is the card bad?

Thank you so much.

It doesn't matter if the BIOS doesn't recognize the card if Windows does. Sager sent my 9377 back to me with 980Ms and no BIOS support, still worked.

I just checked though and that's an EM isn't it? I thought the EM only could support 6 and 9 series cards?

• Thumbs Up 1

Heya Prema;

I recently acquired a GTX 870m for my NP9130, however it seems that the bios isn't recognizing the VGA card. I've re-seated the card multiple times but it still says in the bios VGA Adapter - Empty.

Is this a bios related problem (i.e. the bios doesn't recognize the card because it cannot) or is the card bad?

Thank you so much.

It will always say empty even for many cards that work, but in your case the card is flat out incompatible. After installing a driver you will get error 43 in windows.

• Guest changed the title to [BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock
  • Guest locked this topic
  • Brian unpinned this topic