[BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock

344.xx - works

This feature of the new drivers

"Unfortunately GeForce notebooks were not designed to support overclocking. Overclocking is by no means a trivial feature, and depends on thoughtful design of thermal, electrical, and other considerations. By overclocking a notebook, a user risks serious damage to the system that could result in non-functional systems, reduced notebook life, or many other effects.

There was a bug introduced into our drivers which enabled some systems to overclock. This was fixed in a recent update. Our intent was not to remove features from GeForce notebooks, but rather to safeguard systems from operating outside design limits."

Guys, please sign this petition right here to re-enable overclocking on mobile Nvidia GPUs, otherwise this crap with the 347.xx drivers will continue!

https://www.change.org/p/nvidia-re-...geforce-equipped-notebooks?recruiter=20925400

it would also be great if you could follow up on this link and take part in MySn´s survey concerning GPU overclocking in notebooks:

https://de.surveymonkey.com/s/SXRL6SQ

This could really make a difference if vendors like MySn lean on Clevo to in turn put pressure on Nvidia for unlocking overclockability again!

• Thumbs Up 3

Guys, please sign this petition right here to re-enable overclocking on mobile Nvidia GPUs, otherwise this crap with the 347.xx drivers will continue!

https://www.change.org/p/nvidia-re-...geforce-equipped-notebooks?recruiter=20925400

it would also be great if you could follow up on this link and take part in MySn´s survey concerning GPU overclocking in notebooks:

This could really make a difference if vendors like MySn lean on Clevo to in turn put pressure on Nvidia for unlocking overclockability again!

Done! I want to have the choice to overclock!! its MY stuff!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Signed!

• Thumbs Up 1

Done!

• Thumbs Up 1

NaugthyVidia

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Nvidia ...!

How about if i give you my finger...

it doesnt interest you what i do with your shitty gpu...! i paid for it i have the rights its MINE and the choice is up to me..if i want i can destroy it in front of the camera and upload it on youtube

so take your filty fucking hands off from my gpu

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi guys, when I try to flash vbios for p6xxse, I get No Nvidia Display Adapters Present. Drivers are the 347.shjt

(I'm using P6xxSE_34_34_PM_v1 and I have already flashed bios successfully).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Nvidia is lazy. It has to be something we can reverse with a mod. I'm assuming people have tried desktop drivers with a modded INF already? I have an eye infection so I can't do much right now to look into it.

Welcome back Prema... Right into the storm!

• Thumbs Up 1

I sold my W230SS to friend, and he doesnt like to tweak anything. Stock bios would be nice but last time i flashed it broke ethernet. Got some error messages from bios on boot. Cant remember was that stock bios from clevo or from prema. is the EC different between these or something? And then theres the black screen bug which is annoying.

hi,

before i get started to flash my vbios,wanted to ask some quesitons. I'm not using prema bios for my clevo p170sm-a. my graphics card is gtx 980m. is there any kind of guide ?

HOW-TO: - Double click "ModMe.bat" in Windows and follow on-screen instructions

is that all ? Or do i have to do something first ?

Thank you !

Prema,

I want to say thanks for the amazing bios! I have a p170sm (non -a) and threw in a gtx 980m w/ prema bios and it runs fantastic! I'll be showing my gratitude soon enough with a donation. Keep up the great work!

P170sm (non -a)

i7-4700mq

16gb crucial balistix

GTX 980m

4x 840 Evo 240gb

With those specs, is it beneficial to run a 330w psu? i currently have the stock 240w unit.

Hi Prema,

Thanks again for your P6XXSG bios, it's working great on my P650SG. I'm just curious about this TOLUD value in the memory setting in the bios. What does it do? I read a bit and it has something to do with eGPU?

It defaults at 1GB, should I change it to dynamic or higher value? Does it affect overclocking the memory? I have 3x8GB GSkills Ripjaws

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I have flashed the prema MXM vbios for P75xZM geforce 980m GTX - to test out the overclocking.... I would like to know if there is a way to flash back the factory vbios for this card? Any suggestions would be appreciated! thanks in advance...

Also - if someone can provide me with the factory vbios rom as well that would be much appreciated!

Ren

lol, i was in the same predicament@forgot to backup the stock vbios when i flashed the prema version [emoji14] do u remember the vbios revision? if not, i could just send u the stock vbios i had before on the P751ZM :)

for flashing ull need to use the maxwell nvflash version, which currently only works in windows

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Final Update for the other MSI GT72 owners out there:

I bought and connected 300Watt PSU from Dell and while it works perfectly fine the GT72 doesn't care about the +70 Watt available and still switches to hybrid mode.

So I've seen several reasons for throtteling with the GT72 now:

- GPU thermal (when reaching 87 degree celcius)

- GPU PowerTarget (when using stock bios or bios with PT enabled)

- Total power draw - AC adapter shutting off to protect itself

- Total power draw - EC controler throtteling the system

All but the second are also happening with Premas vbios - which is not Prema to blame ! He is doing great work with his mods... Just stating it...

Side Effects:

- the system seems to switch to hybrid mode at a certain point which is well below 230 watt of the default AC adapter - this means that the battery will be used to to compensate power exceeding this (unknown) limit (I estimate it beeing at somewhere around 200 Watt)

Prema made the mod to start throttling at 87C by design to have a safe thermal limit but that sucks about the rest. I thought the GT72 was supposed to run super cool?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Prema made the mod to start throttling at 87C by design to have a safe thermal limit but that sucks about the rest. I thought the GT72 was supposed to run super cool?

Yeah... It was supposed to run cooler but actually...

With the older Model we had the thermal bridge between CPU heatsink und GPU heatsink so the heat was transfered both ways and got transfered to both "cooling sinks" besides the fan - but we only had one fan.

With the GT72 we have the thermal bridge from CPU to GPU "cooling sink" (not GPU heatsink) - but we have two fans now and the "cooling sinks" are more separated. So heat is transfered from CPU to GPU but not the other way as it was with the older model. The fans are controled individually and the CPU fan is only speeding up when the CPU is getting hot.

In situations where the CPU is adding a lot of heat the new solution might be more powerful.

But in standard situations it seems like it isn't really much (or even less).

The lacking of optimus contributes to this so in "office use" the GT72 is even louder than the older models. The GPU fan does never spin down which is strange considering that the older models have only one fan to cool CPU and GPU and DID spin down.

But that's about the 87 degree beeing Premas choice is contradicting something that I've been told (or understood - so I might be wrong). What I learned is that the 87 is a choice of Nvidia that can't easily be circumvented.

*sorry for going OT -I will leave it here*

Wow so they made cooling worse.. That sucks.

And no it can definitely be changed, Prema put the lock on to avoid fried cards.

Here's from his site.

PremaMod vBIOS for MXM*GPUs!

Power throttle disabled for good

Over-voltage slider enabled (up to the maximum of 1.2v)

Activated thermal slider (to keep it cooler if desired)

Core overclock slider raise

Thermal protection @*87c (at this*point it’ll throttle in order to protect the system)

*Protection against Furmark and Kombustor GPU burnout (avoid those software even with stock vBIOS)

This vBIOS uses stock clocks and voltage and also keeps the stock Turbo functionality intact unless, You decide to overclock/overvolt.

90c is the Maxwell design target. 3 degrees are added into the equation for the time the system needs from the moment it begins to throttle to effectively keep the card from breaching 90c resulting in the 87c value.

While it would be a simple tweak to allow the user to raise the temp limit further, I don't believe it to be a good idea.

Other devs may think differently, but they seem to forget that TDP also raises with temperature (voltage x temperature = TDP)

I believe unlocking both is the best combination if you plan to kill the hardware:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/8699-hes-dead-jim.html

@ALL I will try to answer your questions here soon, just need to find the time to dig through 3 weeks of pages...

Ah so the target dropped from Kepler. Man seeing 95C was not a pleasant feeling. So glad that's gone.

I don't know why my cards are running 87C out of nowhere. Seems a bit fast for the stock thermal paste to crap out and its like 15C in the house!

Might have to do exploratory surgery if I see the cards throttle. So far they don't throttle.

90c is the Maxwell design target. 3 degrees are added into the equation for the time the system needs from the moment it begins to throttle to effectively keep the card from breaching 90c resulting in the 87c value.

While it would be a simple tweak to allow the user to raise the temp limit further, I don't believe it to be a good idea.

Other devs may think differently, but they seem to forget that TDP also raises with temperature (voltage x temperature = TDP)

I believe unlocking both is the best combination if you plan to kill the hardware:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/8699-hes-dead-jim.html

@ALL I will try to answer your questions here soon, just need to find the time to dig through 3 weeks of pages...

100% agree with that... It's just... I'd still love to see a version for us GT72 owners with a PT of just about +20% (vs stock bios) and in return a little higher temp limit. As we are facing the EC firmware starting to throttle... So I'd like to test a vBios that tries to stay within (as much as possible extended) PT limits (PT in watts not temp). I know that it's against your conviction but I'd still love to give it a try.

I think having the GPU throttle now and then to stay within it's PT (power draw/watt) is still better than to have the EC throtteling because the impact seems to be much worse... Hitting the temp target also seems to be worse because when it's too hot it will take some time until it cools down again... The PT (Watt) seems to react more quickly and help to not overheat in the first place...

I also do not believe that 90 degree are more dangerous to the GT72/GTX980M as 92 and even more degree where perfectly fine for the GTX780M and GTX880M ... So with the PT beeing active (but a little extended) again I think it would be safe to upp the allowed temps a little in return... Again that's for "us" GT72 owners having the EC firmware throtteling issue...

lol, i was in the same predicament@forgot to backup the stock vbios when i flashed the prema version [emoji14] do u remember the vbios revision? if not, i could just send u the stock vbios i had before on the P751ZM :)

for flashing ull need to use the maxwell nvflash version, which currently only works in windows

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

lol thanks jb! metacarpus provided the stock bios..

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi everyone, I have a VBIOS question that I can't seem to get an answer on.

I just replaced a 6990m with a 670m in my Sager NP8170. The 670m isn't working and I think the VBIOS on it may be too new and need to be reflashed to an older version. Prema's discussion in this post is what is leading me to think this is the case. http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo/3518-p150hm-nvidia-675mx-issues.html

When I install the 670M and start the computer, it freezes on the Sager screen and will not allow me to F2 or F7 and gives an occasional BIOS beep.

I have system BIOS version 1.01.10LS2 which Sager told me is the most current

I have KBC/EC Firmware version 1.00.09SA2 which I just updated from .06 with a file sent to me by Sager's tech support

The 670M Sager sent me has VBIOS: 70.24.49.00.02 and has a Jan '15 sticker on top of the card. There is also a sticker that says "N13E-GS1-LP V1.1 1.5G" which I believe verifies that is a 670m and not a 670mx. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

• Guest changed the title to [BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock
  • Guest locked this topic
  • Brian unpinned this topic