[BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock

Hi to everyone!

I got a small problem with the overclocking my GTX 970M 3GB . I have a Clevo P670SE and I wish to raise the GPU and Memory clocks. I am using P6xxSE Prema Mod v2 for both BIOS and vBIOS.

I use EVGA Precision and NVIDIA inspector software for overclocking. The thing is that I am able to overclock the memory, raise the core voltage but can't go with the core clock higher that 1037 Mhz (Boost clock). You can see it here below on the picture. GPU clock is set to be: 1134 Mhz (+210 Mhz) but Current Clock is blocked to be only 1037 Mhz. The memory offset works fine (+270 Mhz) and the voltage raised from 987 mV to 1050 mV.

Any ideas how to unlock the core clock offset? I attached my vBios back up down near written with red letters.

Thanks you very much in advance.

Brgds.

1.jpg

@bartolini9

Just run on AC Adapter and set your system power plan to "performance" in Clevo Control Center and/or Windows power options.

31 minutes ago, Prema said:

@bartolini9

Just run on AXC Adapter and set your system power plan to "performance" in Clevo Control Center and/or Windows power options.

hi prema. there bother bios life for this model that I have? W650SF?

Yeeeh. It works. I had AC adapter plugged in and power plan set to performance. The thing was that when I started the game or 3d Mark, the current clock immediately went up to 1134 and then to 1248 (Boost) like it should be. So everything works and it's unclocked. Thanks Prema for your BIOS :)

Brgds.

Hi prema, I really hope you reply to this. So I decided I didn't need the overclock vbios for my origin eon 17x Cleve p770zm so I used your guide to flash the stock bios. My pc will not start now. It turns on but the screen is blank and I can't do amything. Am I screwed?  

One question regarding the VBios, it's mandatory to make the laptop "seeing" the card but does it decrease the card performance to make it compatible ?

@Prema any way to disable EDP throttling of CPU to base clocks under GPU load on P6xxSx and similar design models (e.g. N1xxRF)? It's not related to temps or system power draw. Unlocked BIOS, increasing pwr and current limits, and ThrottleStop have no improvement.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-04-30 at 2:43 PM, black007 said:

can i have stock bios p770zm-g 

and is it possible to upgrade p770zm-g gtx970m to gtx980 full not (m)

You'll find stock BIOS on @Premas site: https://biosmods.wordpress.com/stock/ you'll find the password in the first post of this thread.

It's possible but it'll probably take a lot of hardware modding to accomplish.

Edited by Suoah

Hi all ! 

I have a temperature problem with my Clevo P670SG. My processor heat a lot and the frequencies start to get lower when the temperature reach about 85C. I use the prema bios and I'd like to know if there is any tweak in the bios to reduce the temperatures (without lowering the turbo clocks) or to prevent the clock scaling by setting a higher limit for temperatures. 

I'm using Ubuntu but the problem is the same on Windows 7. 

I join a screenshot of the temps during a cpu test. The weird thing is that the temperatures get really high within a second after the test start. And then the clock is auto adjusting to keep the temperatures 'cooler' (the green sensor is my GPU).

I have a 4710HQ. 

Thanks !

Screenshot from 2016-05-07 20-30-25.png

Edit : A second pic showing my temps during a quick gaming session (Skyrim through Wine) :

Screenshot from 2016-05-07 22-08-50.png

Edited by Rinku

On 5/7/2016 at 11:49 AM, Rinku said:

Hi all ! 

I have a temperature problem with my Clevo P670SG. My processor heat a lot and the frequencies start to get lower when the temperature reach about 85C. I use the prema bios and I'd like to know if there is any tweak in the bios to reduce the temperatures (without lowering the turbo clocks) or to prevent the clock scaling by setting a higher limit for temperatures. 

I'm using Ubuntu but the problem is the same on Windows 7. 

I join a screenshot of the temps during a cpu test. The weird thing is that the temperatures get really high within a second after the test start. And then the clock is auto adjusting to keep the temperatures 'cooler' (the green sensor is my GPU).

I have a 4710HQ. 

Thanks !

Screenshot from 2016-05-07 20-30-25.png

Edit : A second pic showing my temps during a quick gaming session (Skyrim through Wine) :

Screenshot from 2016-05-07 22-08-50.png

Max fans (FN+1), undervolt, repaste. Core and cache should both be good for -50mV which should reduce temps by about 5C. But Idk what software exists in Linux to undervolt the CPU as ThrottleStop and XTU are Windows-only.

Although your premature thermal throttling is weird. It shouldn't throttle until any core reaches 98C. On my P650SG, frequency stays at 3.6 GHz in CPU-only Prime95 AVX load even well past 90C. Example:

UvxXyhf.png

In CPU+GPU loads though different story as CPU will stay at base clocks (2.6 GHz) due to overall system power limitation in the EC firmware causing EDP throttling. But again, undervolting reduces power and current draw so CPU boosts 200-300 MHz higher than base:

79bbiw255xi79brzg.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Isn't there any way to undervolt the CPU through the BIOS as Prema Bios is unlocked ? Or if anyone knows how to undervolt on Linux, I'd appreciate it.

I already tried to repast (using Noctua NT H1), but it didn't really help, the temps still reach 90 - 95C way too fast.

14 minutes ago, Rinku said:

Thanks for the reply. Isn't there any way to undervolt the CPU through the BIOS as Prema Bios is unlocked ? Or if anyone knows how to undervolt on Linux, I'd appreciate it.

I already tried to repast (using Noctua NT H1), but it didn't really help, the temps still reach 90 - 95C way too fast.

Nope, no voltage adjustment in the Prema BIOS.

Supposedly NT-H1 isn't ideal for low-pressure bare die heatsink mounts like in laptops as it pumps out rather quickly. I'm using CLU myself but Thermal Grizzly Cryonaut, IC Diamond, and GC-Extreme are good nonmetallic TIMs you can try.

Even with CLU and undervolt though my CPU still gets over 85C just playing CPU-intensive games like PlanetSide 2. It's 10C cooler with max fans, but I don't use max fans because it's too loud. This laptop's CPU cooling is not as good as its GPU cooling.

I was just thinking about giving CLU a try. And yea, max fans is too loud for me to play constantly with. I'll keep looking for undervolt solutions and try CLU.

EDIT : I figured what caused me premature throttling. It was the thermald package, installed by default in Ubuntu 16.04. I just removed it and my clock stay at 3.3 Ghz until something like 98C. Then it varies from 3 Ghz to 3.3 Ghz. Though I'll still repaste with CLU or MetalPads and i'm still interested in overvolt under Linux. And when both CPU + GPU are in load, my CPU clock stay at 2.6 Ghz, as you mentioned. Is the 180w PSU guilty ?

Thanks !

Edited by Rinku

On 5/9/2016 at 0:40 AM, Rinku said:

EDIT : I figured what caused me premature throttling. It was the thermald package, installed by default in Ubuntu 16.04. I just removed it and my clock stay at 3.3 Ghz until something like 98C. Then it varies from 3 Ghz to 3.3 Ghz. Though I'll still repaste with CLU or MetalPads and i'm still interested in overvolt undervolt under Linux. And when both CPU + GPU are in load, my CPU clock stay at 2.6 Ghz, as you mentioned. Is the 180w PSU guilty ?

Nope, it's not the PSU's fault. Even when power draw at the wall is well below 180W (measured with a Kill A Watt), CPU is throttled down to base clocks under GPU load. As you can see in my screenshot above, the throttling is caused by EDP (electrical design point AKA current) on core and ring (CPU cache). The EC firmware is current limiting the CPU under GPU load. It's a design flaw with this and several other Clevo models. Maybe @Prema can elaborate further. Bigger PSU (I'm using the 200W P6xxRx one), BIOS settings, XTU, ThrottleStop, etc. don't help; I've tested them all. The only thing which helps slightly is undervolting, which makes the CPU draw less current and thus Turbo Boost a couple hundred MHz higher. A modded EC is the only solution.

OK, addendum to the above. Turns out this EDP throttling of the CPU under GPU load is a stupid "feature" Clevo built into its notebooks' EC firmware on even the mighty P870DM! Here is a video from @Mr. Fox showing the exact same behavior on his i7-6700K:

Of particular interest to me, I noticed @8:15 in the video that HWiNFO64 showed, under its Performance Limit Reasons section, Yes to the following:

IA: Electrical Design Point/Other (ICCmax, PL4, SVID, DDR RAPL)

RING: Max VR Voltage, ICCmax, PL4

Those are the exact same limit reasons that appear when my P650SG is throttling. And it corresponds with what lights up in Dufus' Limit Reasons tool as well since IA = Core.

According to Mr. Fox, a Prema EC is what fixed the current limit throttling for him. Just as I suspected.

Edited by octiceps

I switched from 24 GB Ram to 16 GB and my CPU clock limit under GPU load went from 2.6 Ghz to 2.7 Ghz. Kinda weird but I assume the Ram power consumption has something to do with that. It was BS, sorry.

Edit : I just used Coollaboratory Liquid metalPads and I gained something like 10-15C !

Edited by Rinku

Hello:

New guy here.  I flashed with the premamod (THANKS!), but I noticed that the core clock dropped to 324 from 615.  Is this normal?  Running a benchmark seems to have halved the framerate. 

@Prema I'm not sure if this is a bug or expected behavior, but sometimes after exiting a game, the GPU fans won't stop spinning at high speed, as if dGPU is still under load, even though Optimus has put it to sleep. Fans only stop spinning (abruptly) if another dGPU-activating app is launched. This happens maybe 1 out of 4 times, other times the fans spin down like normal. Using Prema Mod v2 on a P650SG with the "Cool" EC.

Has anyone tried premamod and then used Nvidia Bios Tweaker to alter parameters such as voltage and clock speeds?  Anyone able to post their stable configs for the bios for 670mx?  Thanks.

• Guest locked this topic
  • Brian unpinned this topic