Why GT680 shuts down suddenly ?

krzysiek

Hi all,

I have a problem with my MSI GT680 notebook.

2 weeks ago my PC started to shut down by itself. I noticed that it's related to the power supply. I think the plug into the notebook for the power supply is unsoldered because if I move the cable the nb starts to charge or stops to charge.

When this happens the nb shuts down after few seconds. The nb starts normally and I don't receive any information that the nb had shut down unexpected.

So the question is: does my nb shuts down because of the unsolderd plug in or maybe because the power supply reached the end of life? On battery I don't have this problem.

Hi all,

2 weeks ago my PC started to shut down by itself. I noticed that it's related to the power supply. I think the plug into the notebook for the power supply is unsoldered because if I move the cable the nb starts to charge or stops to charge.

When this happens the nb shuts down after few seconds. The nb starts normally and I don't receive any information that the nb had shut down unexpected.

So the question is: does my nb shuts down because of the unsolderd plug in or maybe because the power supply reached the end of life? On battery I don't have this problem.

Check it with a voltmeter. It should be 19V. If you wiggle cable and voltmeter drops alot, that could mean the connection is broken. Also open the ac adapter to physically check. Screws are under the rubber feet. You will need a torx screw driver.

Hi all,

When does the computer shut down? Randomly or when you are playing games? If just when playing games, try to compare between games that uses directx11 and directx9. I suspesct that some video cards are coming with problems when playing directx11 games.

One possible cause could be overheating. Easily checked with SpeedFan or CoreTemp.

I can't think of any reason why a poor connection in the DC jack would cause it to shutdown, not saying it's not possible though.

Is it shutting down with the battery attached, or unattached?

Also, under load or idle?

If it's shutting down while idle, with the battery attached, which would rule out overheating, I would say it's probably your plug.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi all,