Creating Recovery Media in Y500 help....

SUBHO

Hi everyone , I may sound stupid but I need help in creating recovery media in recovery partition rather than usb flash drive.

MY laptop came with 1TB HDD IN two partitions 884GB and 25GB. The 25GB came with lenovo drivers but unfortunately the WIN 8 os which came with the machine was installed in 884GB partition.I want to shrink the 884 GB partition to 75GB and make 2 new partitions.

I know how to partition HDD but I want to make recovery media(for one key recovery) before partitioning just in case something gets wrong since I am going to shrink the os partition.

Now the problem is that I dont have 16gb usb Flash drive which is required for recovery media app.So I would like to know is there any way to make use of Hdd Partition instead of usb flash drive. I have 3 8gb usb Flash drive

IF there is a way Please help........

• 3 weeks later...

you can always use the hdd and use a program for backing up like acronis, you create the backup as a file on you hdd, and also an acronis boot cs, so when you need to restore you pop the cd in and use the file to restore,

or can make dvd backup (most probably will be many will stick to hdd if I were you)

as leno said, use acronis, I used it on my Y400 after breaking my head trying to make recovery discs for windows, acronis done by backing up all partitions and then deletes the recovery, the image was created by acronis with 25gb (with all partitions) and when I need to restore it takes about 5 minutes, it was the best solution I found.

I got to use the software migration from samsung that came with my ssd, however it deletes the other partitions and makes an image of the C drive only, acronis already backs up all partitions, and when you choose to restore the partitions you want to restore, in my case restored 3 partitions, the first of 1000MB, 260MB of the second and then the C drive with the operating system.

I'm confused, what Acronis software did you use?

Disk Director seems to be incompatible with Windows 8

Acronis Disk Director 11 Home (English)

supports Microsoft® Windows® 7, Windows Vista®, and Windows XP. Windows 8 is not supported.

Did you use Acronis True Image?

Can you explain with more details? Did you backup just after lenovo's fresh install?

There is a partition with lenovo drivers. Put that on a USB drive.

Now download a clean Windows 8 iso or get a retail CD as long as it is able to install Windows 8 Core (Core SKU)

Install windows 8 and install all the software and drivers on the USB.

And you can remove all other partitions if you like. But I would keep them just in case. I removed them but I am more experienced.

• 1 month later...