Drop in gaming performance on battery.....Help

SUBHO

Lenovo has made it like that LOl,i think the battery power can't support too much the GPU(especially in SLI mode)

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think when you are on battery power, you can only have one gpu running, even if you are in an sli configuration.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think when you are on battery power, you can only have one gpu running, even if you are in an sli configuration.

No the second GPU is still active on battery, unless you manually go into the Nvidia Control Panel and disable SLI. Which is why when SLI is enabled the battery life takes a hit.

I don't know if you have an SLI set-up but bear in mind that when the laptop is not running on AC power the UltraBay GPU turns off, so you're framerate will approximately half (depending on the game itself) even when in ''performance mode" under energy settings.

• 2 weeks later...
while on batteries, the system is using the on board gpu not the 650m to conserve power.

if it uses the 650m's while on battery, you will have to charge it prolly in 5-10min..

My GT780 MSI before is also like this..

This is completely normal

That's not true. The Intel iGPU in the Y500 is disabled. It's still using the GT 650M while on battery, but it undervolts and downclocks it to something ridiculously low like 135/200, which is why even old games lag like crazy.

I am from India too, just use the charging port in the trains, even the non-ac sleeper class compartments have them.

Using the laptop to play games on battery will be very harsh on the battery if you game on regularly and so it is advised that you should be plugged in.

Try tinkering with the settings to get playable performance if you are that interested in playing in Indian trains, which to be honest are not the safest places to take out a 65k inr laptop!

One interesting thing I found is that if you start a game while on battery and then plug in the system will upclock the gpu back to battery normal but usually doesn't turn on the ultrabay one(if you have one) at all. I couldn't figure out why the game I was playing wasn't running as well until I noticed my mouse hand wasn't burning from fan exhaust like usual.

As the y500 is a gaming laptop it would have been nice to have some gaming potential on battery. The CPU and GPU both have a TDP of 45W the CPU is capable of running at 3.1Ghz continuously on battery (all four cores 100%); a competent laptop engineer would have found a way to balance CPU and GPU power while gaming.

Do you guys think something like this would supply full power?

Amazon.com: Energizer XP18000 Universal AC Adapter with External Battery for Laptops, Netbooks, and More: Computers & Accessories

Obviously you lose some portability but if you're on an airplane you could just leave it in your bag and plug it in

*edit* That one doesn't have an AC out. I think I would get one a little bit different with cord out so you can use the Lenovo 170w supply but I haven't seen any really 'portable' supplies that big.

The battery from amazon supplies 66.5 W for it's max output. Perhaps that + the Lenovo battery can supply more juice for gaming?

Amazon.com: Energizer XP18000 Universal AC Adapter with External Battery for Laptops, Netbooks, and More: Computers & Accessories

Obviously you lose some portability but if you're on an airplane you could just leave it in your bag and plug it in

*edit* That one doesn't have an AC out. I think I would get one a little bit different with cord out so you can use the Lenovo 170w supply but I haven't seen any really 'portable' supplies that big.

The battery from amazon supplies 66.5 W for it's max output. Perhaps that + the Lenovo battery can supply more juice for gaming?

I have heard of laptops pulling power from the battery if the AC power is too weak, but most don't. I don't know if any modern laptops do anymore. What's more likely is that the PSU (external battery) will just shut down and make you run solely off of the internal battery.

Actually I saw a new MSI gaming notebook at Computex, I forget which model but it had an i7-4930XM and GTX 780M, which does that.