Drop in gaming performance on battery.....Help

SUBHO

Hi guys, I have recently bought Lenovo Y500. Other than the touchpad issue the laptop performs great, but when I run games on battery power , the performance drops drastically.

FIFA 13 max settings (above 60 fps to 17-22 fps)

Mass Effect 3 max settings (40-60 fps to 7-8 fps)

Nfs mw 2012 med settings (20-40 fps to .....)

etc...

I travel by train usually and long distance journey takes almost 36-48 hrs (India).

Please help...:sad:

I have tried to tweak power management from control panel but nothing has changed. can you specify any other tweaks...

The drop in performance problem is not limited to games but other CPU, GPU intensive programs too.

• 2 weeks later...

Even if you adjust all of the Windows or nVidia drivers, the GPU still struggles on a battery. It doesn't seem to lower the clocks on anything though, so the battery may just not be powerful enough or allowed to fully power the 650m.

The GPU clocks down on battery, if you flash your vBIOS with higher clocks on battery state it might work but you won't be able to play for too long though :P

Something that may help is to go to the desktop and right click, then go to Nvidia Control Panel. From there click "manage 3D settings" and scroll down until you find "power management mode". Click it, then click "prefer maximum settings". That helped with a couple games.

I read, that the second GPU is disabled, when running on Battery, even if it would work, your playtime would probably decrease to half an hour, I don´t think it´s worth the effort, trying to make it work

I can second that the second GPU doesn't seem to work on battery. I was doing some work in afterburner and had a system crash after pushing the memory up too high, and when I came back in and did testing with kombuster the second GPU wasn't utilized, or was used maybe 5%. After freaking out for a bit thinking I killed the card, I noticed the battery icon. Somehow the power input had come unattached during the reboot.

I'm not sure why the laptop works this way, but the gpu clocks drop significantly on battery mode, and unfortunately I don't know how to keep that from happening. It even does this when you are forcing overclocks on the gpu :/. What's worse is if you use the battery preserving feature (to keep the battery at 60% charge), if it's not charging it may enter the lower clock state too.

See thread here for more information:

Y500 Lagging on battery - Lenovo Community

It's because the GPU actually throttles when on battery. It can never run at the same performance as if you were on AC power. I tested this with Dell Inspiron N5110. To be honest you shouldn't be gaming on battery anyway. I don't think it's healthy for the battery either

It's because the GPU actually throttles when on battery. It can never run at the same performance as if you were on AC power. I tested this with Dell Inspiron N5110. To be honest you shouldn't be gaming on battery anyway. I don't think it's healthy for the battery either

One would think that it may be extremely obvious that your tiny 65W battery isn't going to power the SLI machine you need a 170W adapter for... Or even 120W without SLI...

*shrug*

Is the battery really 65W? That explains. He could still overclock the Low power clocks but thats dangerous.

Actually, looking at my battery, it seems to be 72W. Trying to run a GT650m off that at full speed would kill it quick and dead.

• 5 weeks later...