Issues XPS 15

Hey guys,

My XPS 15 L502X always freezes when playing games (like wow, cod etc.)

Dell engineer had change my motherboard, but the issue was still there.

Does anyone have the same problem, and how to solve it?

Thanks

I have the same problem.

Specifically, the dGPU (geforce GT 540M) freezes in any game after a short amount of time. This only happens when the machine is plugged in, it never happens when it runs on battery, which makes this really weird.

The way it crashes is different, depending on the version of Windows I use: on Windows 7-64bit it freezes the machine and the only option remaining is hard-power-down (hold the power button for 5 seconds). On Windows 7 32bit it crashes to desktop saying something like "display driver has recovered from a crash" (I can't remember exactly, Windows messages have always been irrelevant to me). Using nvidia-tools to downclock the GPU to 580MHZ (that is below 525M frequencies) only partially helps, it would still crash but after a longer period of time. Occasionally it would run for hours but with the fan turning on medium speed (not on high as it should be) and low FPS. This is not an isolated case (there's plenty of such reports on DELL's site) and obviously DELL can't fix this problem (I suspect their 540M implementation sucks). My notebook is no longer under warranty and I would definitely not buy a new mobo just to have that POS working. I ordered an eGPU kit from HIT.

Nonetheless, I am very curious why this thing works perfectly on battery and crashes while on AC ?

On a side note: does anyone know if it's possible to deactivate the nVidia 540M the hardware-way, i.e. PHYSICALLY ? Like desoldering a capacitor, I don't know , whatever makes it dissapear as far as the system is concerned, like it wasn't there ?