is alienware m14x worth buying or not?

spr193

IMO, if you want budget laptop, I prefer buying an m14x r2 and overclocking the gpu to 1050mhz than buying the m14. However, if you want value for your money and raw power, you might wanna look at the clevo laptop series...though the best options are in the 15 inches range

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, because a whole 180 scan lines is a deal-breaker. Hint: that's about half of a NTSC TV screen's vertical resolution squeezed down into about an inch of screen real estate.

Just sucks that it wasnt even an option with the r1. Its hard to switch from 1440p desktop down to this 900p screen.

• 1 month later...

I have the m14x r2 and it performs very well - With a bit of overclocking it could probably be on par with the m14. Though I havent used the M14 personally - another thing about the m14xr2 over the 14, I like the design much better. The inside of the 14 just looks.. Old. Very oldschool.

Many people have many different opinions about the m14x and AW laptops in general. I'm not going to lie - I have had several issues with my m14x (BSOD's, throttling, lighting problems) but once you use a lesser laptop you realise just how much of a beast it is. And when i think back on it, most of the issues i've had are the result of my own tinkering :P. Certainly the throttling at GPU temp of 67C causes me to outbreak in fits of rage but not so much as trying to load... well... anything on my gf's sony thing that is newer and almost as expensive as mine.

I'm not going to boast that there are no better valued laptops out there - there definitely are (especially if u live in the US; us Aussies arent so lucky :(). But they just don't have that awe factor that the alienware does. That feeling that elicits a nerdy giggle when u first open the box.

^ My 2c.

• 2 weeks later...

basically if your budget is limited i suggest you find a laptop within your budged range with best performance in the market so you dont have to regret it later

but if you're so crazy about the looks of the AW go for it.

P.S if u ask worth or not it depends on how you use it daily.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an M14xR2 and out of all the Alienware laptops ive owned this one has been pretty disheartening because of the throttling mainly. Had a reoccuring problem with the front grill light constantly going out and had Dell come out numerous times but it kept happening now i just turn off the lights unless i need the keyboard light for night typing. Loved my M11xR3 and M17xR3 though.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my Alienwares, I have an m14x R2 and an m11x R1

The m11x ist on of the best travelbooks I ever used, powerful and long lasting batterie... wow!

The m14x r2 has no thermal problems, on long games it gets a little loud, but I reduced the cpu power to 70%, that is still enough for everthing, but by that no problems anymore at all!

In my opinion I would recommend alienware for their build quality. My m14x r2 feels incredibly robust. However lets be honest here, they don't travel well due to their size and weight. In todays market you can get something better and lighter than alienware. Also...they are incredibly expensive should you take the financing route.

Most of the other members have already said it. The alienware m14x is impressive, even more with r2. It's the best laptop ive ever had, and it runs smoothly for very demanding applications and games. whats even more impressive is how cool it keeps itself.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've had if for 2 years I guess. I'm mostly happy but the hinges are problematic and I'm having some heat issues. You definitely get your moneys worth though. It is pretty strong (performance-wise). SSD upgrade is kinda a must. I can safely say that there is no laptop on the market that has i7 and a GPU that suits my needs so I'm happy :) I'm not talking about the 2000+ $ laptops of course

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had my alienware m14x for 3.5 years now (R1) and it never failed me until 3 years. It started with the charger failing then the battery and now the hard disk.

Performance is awesome but it is terribly load and heavy as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got my r1 in december 2011, still going strong. No overheating, plays all the games I want. Handled sky rim on full settings on an apple cinema display too so all good here.

Compared to newer stuff out now the GT 555M is lacking i think but I don't have to have ultra settings.

• 3 weeks later...