is alienware m14x worth buying or not?

spr193

...and one last thing, I consider my system as "quasi-portable" meaning that I have a external monitor, keyboard, and mouse and typically don't carry the computer around too much. It is nice that I can for travel, but I like it as a desktop replacemnt.

Have been using my R1 for the past 3 years without much problems.

Pros:

Used to be one of the fastest lappies around.

Cons:

Heavy as hell especially for a college student

SSD upgrade is a must now

Runs really hot when multitasking

I would say weigh your options, if you're a student that needs a computer more for work then get a slim and light ultrabook

If you're not gonna be carrying it around, the M14X is a reliable companion that will serve you well

As someone who has owned 2 m15x 2 m14x r1 1 m11x r2 a y400 and a y480 IF you can get a good deal on an alienware which if you trust ebay is really easy I wouild recomend alienware WAY WAY WAY over the lenovo without bring you with the details lenovo Is spec wise better but the parts don't work together at all the lenovo software is truly horrid and in turn makes a HORRIFIC gaming machine with the I processor the GPU Windows and lenovos battery application all fighting over power management I was never able to even utilize my nvidia card. I replaced the GPU MOBO CPU got two new laptops and eventually had to get a full refund after 6 months of not being able to play minecraft lol. the opposite is true of alienware they take special care making sure the parts work wgreat together and great with the software. Also the build quality of the alienware is some of the best I've seen with ease of upgrade and layout (upgrading is harder in the m14x r1 and m11x but once you get the back removed it's super easy)

All in all IMHO don't get a lenovo for gaming they are not a gaming company and will never be one. leave it to the people that know gaming Asus Alienware Razer and MSI are all good choices Asus ROG series if your on a tight budget for a new PC and Alienware if you don't mind used. Hope this helped :)

• 3 months later...

In my experience as a university student, the m14x is comfortable to use when you have enough space on a desk (some lecture rooms I've been in either have really small desks or none at all), otherwise it runs a bit hot on the thighs.

The battery isn't too flash either and you'll need to be perpetually in range of a power outlet.

• 3 weeks later...

I had lot of problems with alienware with motherboard being replaced twice in 3 years. Almost every part has been replaced. The only good thing is the next business day warranty that one should take with it to avoid hit on the pocket due to such issues. Well i kinda hate it but lately i haveused it for very heavy software and it works really good. Its great for the performance but cant say reg hardware and heating issues. hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...

I have a R1 for over 3 years now, but to be honest, I wouldn't recommend to get one just because it's too heavy and too thick. but if u r into gaming everywhere u go and want to have a nice keyboard, u should get one. I have never had any problem with my alienware by the way.

• 1 month later...

I bought um M14x in June 2011. I found it to be one of my best purchases. I still use it to play games on the go. Since I travel a lot, buying it was Worth it.

But my screen case broke down and I had to repair it. Other than that, I am happy with my M14x.

• 2 months later...

I think it might've been worth it a few years back but I think now it's better to invest in a mini-ITX or a micro ATX machine if you're looking for compactness since you're not going to be able to game on the battery alone.

I bought my x14 R2 three years ago and I'm planning to replace it with a tablet+microATX PC combo when the Pascal GPUs are out.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

If you can get it for dirt cheap and it still has working components with no signs of major overheating (lol, I mean melting caps not our usual overheating), working motherboard, monitor, etc. I would buy one assuming that I would have to swap out the HDD for an SDD, upgrade the RAM to 16gb (8gb x2), and carefully wipe off the crusted thermal crud from the cpu/gpu with isopropyl and reapply some thermal paste after giving the whole cooling system a thorough cleaning. That's like ~$130 in parts (if you want good stuff) and a little bit of surgery, and voila you've got yourself a damn good computer.

• 3 years later...
On 8/21/2019 at 7:04 AM, Skill said:

If you can get it for dirt cheap and it still has working components with no signs of major overheating (lol, I mean melting caps not our usual overheating), working motherboard, monitor, etc. I would buy one assuming that I would have to swap out the HDD for an SDD, upgrade the RAM to 16gb (8gb x2), and carefully wipe off the crusted thermal crud from the cpu/gpu with isopropyl and reapply some thermal paste after giving the whole cooling system a thorough cleaning. That's like ~$130 in parts (if you want good stuff) and a little bit of surgery, and voila you've got yourself a damn good computer.

This is still relevant today. Can get a m14/m17/m18x for not much cash these days and with a few spare parts have an enjoyable experience.