T|I tan

svl7

I ordered some desktop parts... gonna build a rig. Never had a custom desktop, so it should be fun :)

Here's a pic of the parts which already arrived:

post-80-14494994356691_thumb.jpg

Still waiting for a new monitor, PSU, motherboard, and... a certain graphics card :P

I´ll update this once I get the rest of the things.

-----------------------------------------

So... here's my first ever desktop build :P

post-80-14494994390942_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494994393213_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494994395025_thumb.jpg

Was quite a tight fit with the RAM modules and the CPU heatsink... I didn't think about this, only noticed it when I put the stuff together. The heatsinks of the memory modules are too big, but as I only have four modules it happens to work just ok. Fortunately none of the slots next to the CPU needs to be occupied when only one module per channel is installed.

Titan and CPU heatsink is a close fit as well, but it works.

Setting up the system now, will see how this will work out... hehe.

post-80-14494994389299_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494994389857_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494994390398_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494994391494_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494994392057_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494994392611_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494994394204_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494994395879_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 7

I ordered some desktop parts... gonna build a rig. Never had a custom desktop, so it should be fun :)

Here's a pic of the parts which already arrived:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6142[/ATTACH]

Still waiting for a new monitor, PSU, motherboard, and... a certain graphics card :P

I´ll update this once I get the rest of the things.

We have the same exact SSD! We must be twins! Or maybe you stole mine?

The 840 Pro is nuts. The windows loading animation is only half done before the desktop comes up.

What are you planning on doing to the titan? Are you gonna look into the disabled shader block much? Maybe since it's the top end card it's not laser cut but just a bios thing, but people never enabled the 480's disabled block so who knows. Apparently the VRMs aren't that strong on it, so doing a mod to remove the power limit might not turn out very well.

And that CPU cooler is slightly bigger than this laptop's CPU cooler. It looks like you went for low noise fans. That titan's fan will most certainly NOT be low noise when overclocked/overvolted.

Interesting CPU choice. I suppose you're planning on getting IVB-E when it comes out?

Oh and I hope you meansured everything first to make sure the all your stuff will fit in that case.

Mobo arrived! Now I need that GPU and the PSU... damn, the website says the PSU is in stock since I ordered it... wth.

@Khenglish: Cool, looking forward to seeing that SSD in action :D

I'm certainly going to mess with the vbios, no idea how good the voltage supply circuits are... I guess I'll find out, hahaha. Maybe I'll sell the Titan after messing with it, I guess that would be the most reasonable thing. But the again, since when am I reasonable? :P

I just liked the look of that CPU cooler, maybe I'll go for water cooling one day, but for now that should be fine - and yes, it should fit.

3960x was just too expensive, and 3930k isn't that cheap either... and not really worth the money when air cooled. I'll see about an upgrade sometime, but for now the 3820 should be okay, it's only a bit a pity when it comes to benching, but I can't afford the very top end in all parts. IVB-E could be interesting, yes.

No LN2 cooling? :P

Oh, you know... we'll see about that once I have an unlocked CPU :P

You're going to love desktops.

ALL THAT FREE SPACE! :D

Hahaha, yeah, that was one important reason to get a desktop, manage all the HDDs which are laying around here. Of course you don't need a Titan for that, but when it comes to hardware it's not about what you need, it's about what you have, right? :77:

• Thumbs Up 1

Hahaha, good question. Pretty simple... performance. Looking at some benchmarks etc. made me rethink my decision. It was @johnksss who made me reconsider my decision, hahaha. It's more expensive, but in the end I think it'll be worth the money. The only advantage of the Vishera would've been eight threaded or generally highly parallelized tasks. Unfortunately the Intel seems to be distinctly faster for everyday tasks.

Yeah, not sure what are the price in Switzerland, but in the US the "best buy" was (IMO) i5 3570K (due to overclocking capability) for $200. Previously, it was I believe i5 2500K that was selling here like crazy. Yeah, AMD CPUs are what at least 1 generation behind Intel. Plus I wanted to invest more in other components. I went with nVidia card just for a change since I had AMD cards before but I also want to learn to do some CUDA programming. :)

The one thing I'd really like to have (that I don't) is a projector. I have such a huge empty white wall right in front of my couch where I usually sleep, I'd love to be able to watch stuff while in bed. :)

Yeah, haha, pretty cool... :D

The PCIe stuff is weird, I set it to Gen3 in the bios, but it's still 2.0. Also one of the fan connectors doesn't seem to react to any setting... I guess that bios is messed up, no idea.

• Founder

Nice, it should hit 16-17k gpu with a little overclocking. All my parts ship out today so hopefully by Friday I have my desktop ready to go.

Sent from my GT-N7000

How does seeing a max CPU temp of 47C feel after using laptops for so long?

Oh and it makes only like a 5 point difference, but it looks like you were running PCI-E 2 instead of 3.

it's running 3.0.

The PCIe stuff is weird, I set it to Gen3 in the bios, but it's still 2.0. Also one of the fan connectors doesn't seem to react to any setting... I guess that bios is messed up, no idea.

Nice job!

That stock score is worth 4 GL points on the bot. :)

Didn't gpuz say they they were going to add it to 068?

Because your looks just like Vince's.

k|ngp|n`s 3DMark11 - Performance score: 20990 marks with a GeForce GTX Titan

I just remembered that Nvidia makes you install a patch to enable 3.0 for SB-E:

NVIDIA Releases PCI-Express Gen 3.0 Enabling Patch for Sandy Bridge-E HEDT Platform | techPowerUp

Thanks! Now that you mention it I remember having read something about this... but the fix doesn't seem to make a difference, GPU-Z still reports the same.

Edit: Nevermind, Nvidia Inspector shows 3.0, lol.

I ordered some desktop parts... gonna build a rig. Never had a custom desktop, so it should be fun

It looks like the end of gaming laptop for you. Bad news for us nb users.... lol

The one thing I'd really like to have (that I don't) is a projector. I have such a huge empty white wall right in front of my couch where I usually sleep, I'd love to be able to watch stuff while in bed

Imagine all the adult movies while you're watching and relaxing lol

It looks like the end of gaming laptop for you. Bad news for us nb users.... lol

Well, I'll see about that, hahaha, but 2560x1440 at 27 inch is addicting... :P

Here's a first run with some OC:

post-80-14494994432816_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, I'll see about that, hahaha, but 2560x1440 at 27 inch is addicting... :P

Here's a first run with some OC:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6242[/ATTACH]

Nooo you beat my physics score! Hmm it is 27 out. Maybe if I opened the windows for a while I could get 4.5ghz to complete... the dumb thing is stupid XTU refuses to allow BCLK overclocking after running meset to force the fans high, and the BIOS is flashed to a multi of x43. x44 is unstable at high temps so flashing back down after concerns me (why do clevo BIOS's not have a disable turbo option?)

Please overclock higher so that I have no chance and thus am not tempted.

Update:

Actually only took 4390MHz to win!

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6116858

• Thumbs Up 1

Nooo you beat my physics score! Hmm it is 27 out. Maybe if I opened the windows for a while I could get 4.5ghz to complete... the dumb thing is stupid XTU refuses to allow BCLK overclocking after running meset to force the fans high, and the BIOS is flashed to a multi of x43. x44 is unstable at high temps so flashing back down after concerns me (why do clevo BIOS's not have a disable turbo option?)

Please overclock higher so that I have no chance and thus am not tempted.

Update:

Actually only took 4390MHz to win!

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Genuine Intel® CPU 0 @ 2.40GHz,CLEVO P170EM score: P7652 3DMarks

I'll mail you my EC which allows FN+1 for full fan speed.... ;)

EDIT: DONE! :)